My 03 Jetta vs 2012 Jetta both TDI

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
My 03 Jetta got totaled because Ins says it cost more to fix it than its worth. She had 281239 miles on her and with the help of you all I had her purring like a kitten. I’ve found a 2012 Jetta tdi with 150K on it and I’d like y’all’s input on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
The 2012's are nice cars when everything is working properly.

But, you are dealing with way more emissions equipment than the 2003 and it can be tempermental.

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
The 2012's are nice cars when everything is working properly.

But, you are dealing with way more emissions equipment than the 2003 and it can be tempermental.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you want a newer Jetta I'd look for a 2015. Better engine with fewer risks of problems (HPFP failure, intercooler icing), better FE after the fix, and the '15 Jetta was facelifted with a stiffer body for better offset crash test results, which also gave it a quieter ride. And interior bits are better quality.

Or you could do what I might do, which would be to find the best MKIV ALH car you can and make it perfect.

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI, 2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
If the engine is mechanically sound and you know it will last you for a long time why not find a donor car and swap it over and keep driving it?

I did a similar thing with my wagon when it got hit and totaled and I've never done that kind of a work before. With friends help and engine hoist it only took me two days to swap engine, tranny, subframe, suspension and small other bits and pieces.

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
I’m actually really considering doing that. I’ve found all the parts I need except for one.

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
So I bought my Jetta back and all the parts will be in this week. I’m going to remove the catalytic converter once inspection is done so I can drive it again. Is there a pipe that I can get that’ll just go in it’s place or do I just have to cut it out and weld a piece in? Also is that little flex pipe needed?

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
So I’m replacing the radiator support, radiator, ac condenser, water pump and timing belt and the cooling fans. I decided to do timing belt and water pump since I don’t know when it was done last. I figure why drain the motor twice when I can do it all in one shot. What color of antifreeze goes in it? When I took the front end off and drained what was left in it out it was orange.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Drain and flush SEVERAL times before finally filling it with VW G12/G13/G14 (and water (preferably distilled)) from the dealer or other trusted source. It won't be orange - more like pink. If it is premixed, with water, well you should know what to do.

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
Drain and flush SEVERAL times before finally filling it with VW G12/G13/G14 (and water (preferably distilled)) from the dealer or other trusted source. It won't be orange - more like pink. If it is premixed, with water, well you should know what to do.

Thank you