Headliner ?

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Looking to buy a new headliner, finding a used one is close to impossible for a B4 in good shape. Dealer wants 500 bux for one ! Anyone know where you can buy one for less ? I searched online and found no results.

Previous owner had a new moonroof put in as the old one broke and stuck open... And the headliner was never reinstalled so I got a bare roof and it just doesn't feel "cozy" in there ;)

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, 1996 Passat Variant (RIP), 2002 Jetta Wagon, 1995 Passat Variant TDI conversion brought back from the dead, 1997 Passat Variant project, and returned 2014 Passat
Go to a fabric store and purchase headliner material. Directions to remove the roof are in the Bentley Manual...then have at it....don't forget to remove all the old "fuzz" from the roof before applying your adhesive!

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
JC Whitney sells universal headliner material in a number of colors.

RuneTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 97 passat tdi (SOLD)
i had a shop in peekskill ny do mine. great job. $220 parts and labor. want their number? maybe you could ship it?

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
I don't have anything in my car but a bare roof. I looked for anything to make a headliner out of but doesn't seem like it will work right. Was hoping for some kind of aftermarket solution. I do a ton of upholstery at work so I'm used to laying fresh fabric, I just don't have anything to lay it down on.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
Go to a junk yard and get a headliner board from one there, then do the fabric replacement either yourself or professionaly. Do you have the plastics in your car? sun-visors and such?

Last edited:

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
If you find a junk yard headliner, the fabric will probably be sagging and loose in spots. Don't try to glue the fabric back up. It's not worth the time & effort.

On my 96 the previous owner tried to glue the sagging headliner fabric and made a mess out of it. Glue bled through the fabric and there was glue on the trim, grab handles etc. There is no way to glue the fabric back on and make it look good as it has separated from the foam backing material. The foam backing material is what is actually glued to the fiberglass headliner board.

Take the headliner to a pro. The proper way to fix it is to take the entire headliner out of the car (not an issue in this case), CAREFULLY peel off the old material, prep the fiberglass headliner board, and glue on the new headliner material. The fiberglass backing is very fragile and god help you if you break it, crack it chip it, etc.

I found a local upholstery shop that charged me around ~$150. I removed all the interior trim and both of us CAREFULLY removed the headliner out of the car. The color isn't a perfect match but it's close enough. Better than paying VW over $500, if they are still available.

If you do take the headliner out, this is the time to replace the radio antenna base gasket. Good luck finding one of those.

:)