Governor?

revkev73

TDI
2002 vw golf
I have a 2002 Golf TDI, 150,000 miles, no major work. The engine seems to run fine but it cuts out at about 3,000 RPM at all gears. It is like there is a governor that cuts it out. Any help? I am no mechanic but I have noticed it when I drove it. (My wife usually does drive it) Now, my son and wife are on a long trip and my son is calling to ask "Why is the car so boggy?" I took it to the dealer a few months ago, thinking something didn't seem right, and they said "Everything was fine after testing it." Something is wrong, it seems. Please advise...

revkev

TurbineWhine

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Platinum Grey
Sounds like the engine is experiencing limp mode, caused by an over or under boost problem. If a restart of the engine cures the problem temporarily, its almost certainly limp mode. Another possibility is the MAF sensor, which is located just after the air filter in the intake hose. Try removing the MAF sensor plug and see if the car runs better. If it does the MAF is dead. With that kind of mileage on the car, it probably has a very clogged intake, if it has not been cleaned already. Also, you said "no major work". Most people consider the Timing Belt change major, due to the cost. I sure hope you are keeping up with that maintenance.

TW

revkev73

TDI
2002 vw golf
Turbine...

Thanks. I plan to get the timing belt replaced next service opportunity. I was going to have my local mechanic replace it about 20,000 miles ago but he looked at it and said it was "like new" and it would be a waste to replace it. I will replace it. I am not a mechanic and would hesitate to mess with a valve or anything myself. I am wondering why the VW folks couldn't figure out why it was "bogging" last time I told them to check it. The engine does run well and idle well it just cuts out at a certain rpm. It doesn't "misfire" or start hard. It is like driving a u-haul truck with a governor.

revkev

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Did you try unplugging the MAF? If not, get the car up to full temperature then in neutral, roll that throttle on all the way and see what the max RPM is.

And if that is the original timing belt, your next service opportunity needs to be now. Contact jasonTDI here and set up an appointment with him rather than your regular mechanic since your regular mechanic thinks all that needs to be checked is the timing belt.

Check out the crappy picture here to see all of the stuff that needs to be looked at.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
revkev73 said:
Thanks. I plan to get the timing belt replaced next service opportunity. I was going to have my local mechanic replace it about 20,000 miles ago but :eek:he looked at it and said it was "like new":eek: and it would be a waste to replace it.
You need to find a new mechanic! That timing belt, if original, is long past the recommended replacement time. There is no way to "check" a timing belt. The day before they snap most look like new. When that belt goes, you can expect some expensive engine parts to be damaged.

I suggest you have the water pump done at the same time.

revkev73

TDI
2002 vw golf
I have a message out to JasonTDI near Madison. I am also hoping that my wife makes it back from St. Louis today! I do believe that the water pump has been replaced. Yes, I know, I should have done the timing belt but didn't want to fork over the $500 to fix a nice looking belt at the dealer. Live and learn. Hopefully it will work out. I am concerned that the VW dealer didn't check the MAF? when I had it in the last time for the "cutting out at 3,000 RPM" symptom. They did replace the fuel filter and said, "That should help." It didn't. I wonder if they have a top rate diesel mechanic. Thanks for your comments so far. Peace.

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
From the sounds of it, your mechanic is, er, quite inexperienced working on TDIs. I agree with those who think a beautiful, almost-new-looking belt is a meaningless comment on the part of somebody purporting to be a mechanic.

Replacing a fuel filter to cure a "bogging above 3,000 rpm" problem is actually not a bad idea to start. It is probably the cheapest first fix, and sometimes actually does do the trick. That it didn't in your case would suggest MAF and/or sticking turbo actuator and/or clogged intake as most likely candidates to look into next.

It would be insane to replace the water pump without replacing the timing belt as well. Most of the cost is the labor, and you have to do the same things for both parts, might as well replace them both at the same time.

revkev73

TDI
2002 vw golf
I believe the water pump was leaking and was replaced and as that was fixed the mechanic noted the timing belt and said "It looks like new." To defend him, he isn't a diesel mechanic and has done good work for me for 10 years. In the end, it is my responsibility to make sure it is replaced and I haven't done it yet, but will. Having had several Toyotas and Hondas over the years I have been pretty faithful in having the belts and other required maintenance done as needed and have been blessed with few car disasters. On another note, I am shy of the VW dealer because of the "required" work that needs to be done at varied intervals. I think it was the 30,000 mile $600 package of work that spooked me. They said all that work needed to be done and I said I didn't have much time, about an hour, and they said they could do it all in that time. (?) Most of the work was stuff that I would assume should be done with an oil change. Check to see if brush is on the muffler, look at brake pads, etc. Bottom line...I don't trust them. Their inability to find or acknowledge the "governor" problem has spooked me even more. I am hoping JasonTDI from Verona will get back to me. He sounds like an honest and talented guy.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Jason will take good care of you.

Dealer just scanned the car for stored codes. No codes = everything A OK. Most failed MAFs don't throw a code.

Have your son unplug the MAF (big plug on the snout leading out of the airbox) and drive the car. If they have more or the same power, bad MAF. Worse power, good MAF and replug. If unplugging it helps, they can drive it home that way.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
revkev73 said:
I believe the water pump was leaking and was replaced and as that was fixed the mechanic noted the timing belt and said "It looks like new."
Since replacing the water pump requires removing the timing belt, it is insane NOT to put a new timing belt on there as part of doing the water pump job, no matter how little mileage is on the existing timing belt.

I agree with the other sentiments; find a different mechanic!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
If you are very attached to your mechanic of the past 10 years, let him work on anything except the engine of your car. For the important part, get an expert.