Winter setup arrived

Feyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
A bit early I know, but the last time I needed to order a winter setup I waited until October to order and had to go with my 3rd choice of wheel. :(
16" Rial w/205 Blizzak WS70s
The wheels have an oem fitment so no need rings or special lugs necessary and supposedly these were designed for winter duty so the finish is guaranteed for 5 years.

Feyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Haha... There's always one of you.

I lived in LA for 5 years... So I know what you mean.

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
There must be quite an LA/Chicago connection. My older son lived in the big onion for several years before going to LA. Nice looking rubber and killer rims. I haven't done winter driving since it snowed in FL (winter '89-'90). I lived in VT for 7 years and took my drivers ed class under winter conditions.

The electronic steering assist is supposed to apply some counter steering force during skid's. Can any of you winter drivers confirm this. Sounds like something fun to try :)

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
I have the same rims in brushed aluminum. I like your choice better! :cool:

(Didn't see those when I ordered from Tirerack :()

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I enjoyed my ws-60s over the past two years, sadly this will most likly be my last year with them as I have about 27-30K on them and pretty close to the winter wear bars. Sadly the roads get cleared really quick near me so I'm mainly driving on clean pavement 80% of the winter. I only need them when snow's actualy coming down, and when that happens the girlfriend is terified to be on the roads.

But on those days when I drove to work in 4-6" of fresh snow, boy these guys grip, paired with the ESP or ASR or TCS computer magic, when i did feel the car slip or slide it was very predictable and very very controlable.

Next set I'm thinking of going with general altimax's, they are a little cheaper and are old molds of some great haka's and will last a little longer.

btw how much were the rims?

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Probably going to go with the same combo, but in 15 inchers.
Agree with the 15 inch rims. If you look at the comparison chart below taken off Miata Tire Calculator dot com, you get over 1/2" more tire sidewall. Also consider that a narrower snow tire clears a path better. Around these parts is way too easy to hit pot holes or uneven terrain resulting in bending/breaking rims.

Also, +1 on it's allot cheaper to purchase snows in 15" then 16 or 17". LOL

scottisha

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI 4dr
Nice winter wheel set-up you got there.

I'm with Nickhsub1, what's it like...LOL.

As a kid, I lived in Chicago, Boise, England......As an Grunt in the Army, I experienced the freezing wet desert while in Desert Storm.......At that point in my life (age 21) I said to myself, "I will never live anyplace that has weather like this." ......Been in Florida since 1987 and don't see myself leaving any time soon.

Back to your nice winter tires.

veedubfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 golf
^^^Heh I grew up in Houston. Living in Colorado where we have 4 seasons instead of 2 (hot as hell and not quite as hot), I'll never move back to the south.

All these winter wheel posts make me sad. My summers are barely just now showing up this week. The mountains are supposed to get 4-6 inches tonight already. I fear I'm only going to get a month or 2 on the new 19's before I have to buy snow. But considering the effort in trying to sell my portos i think i'm just gonna buy 17" snows and deal with that.

GraniteRooster

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW 6MT
@Feyd, @Polak: Nice choice of wheels! Those will look really sharp on your Candy White Golfs. Don't forget to post up pictures once they are fitted up :).

It is strange that I like buying new snow tires even more than new summer tires? :D

Last edited:

Past_VNE

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS 5-spd, '12 JSW 6M
^^^Heh I grew up in Houston. Living in Colorado where we have 4 seasons instead of 2 (hot as hell and not quite as hot), I'll never move back to the south.
This Pennsylvania girl has been in Houston for four years. :( The winter tires posts make me sad, too...b/c it's 100 degrees and I won't do any skiing, sledding with kids, or anything else similar this winter either. :eek:

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
This Pennsylvania girl has been in Houston for four years. :( The winter tires posts make me sad, too...b/c it's 100 degrees and I won't do any skiing, sledding with kids, or anything else similar this winter either. :eek:
What part of PA? I used to live in Bethlehem, and later in Allentown

Feyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I run the WS70's as well...Excellent grip, nearly unstoppable in the snow!
Thanks for the compliments guys... I can't wait for the inclimate weather. :D

For me the only choice was WS70s. I ran the WS60s on my 135 for two years and loved them. They're honestly a bit extreme for the winters here and will probably only reach their full potential a few times a season, but on those days I'll be happy I went with the studdless snow and ice rather then performance snows.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
^^^ right there, its lots of fun on right tires :)
im in Los Angeles as well, but i do drive to MAMMOTH a few times, and spend about 30-35 days a season snowboarding in CO, so i drive there for few 2 1/2 weeks during the holidays

What's winter like?

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
It snowed once last winter here. I was on summer tires, Bridgestone RE050's. Made for a fun commute. They actually did well in snow, it was the ice they didn't like.

Never thought I'd see my car like this in Houston. Work called right as I was pulling into the parking garage to let me know I didn't have to come in until about 4 hours later...

Honestly, I'm kinda jealous of you guys that get to play in that stuff all winter. Probably wouldn't once I remembered how much I dislike shoveling snow, but until then...

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
.... Probably wouldn't once I remembered how much I dislike shoveling snow, but until then...
It is a blast... but why shovel when you can plow....I bought an ATV last year with a plow for my 700 foot driveway...I actually love it when it snows!

veedubfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 golf
It is a blast... but why shovel when you can plow....I bought an ATV last year with a plow for my 700 foot driveway...I actually love it when it snows!
Why plow when you can have a southwest facing driveway :) It wasn't intentional, but by god, I'm glad it happened. I shoveled twice last winter.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
have them machined? why? did you get them used so had to clean them up?
what are they called? size?

Belivo

New Brunswick, Canada (Maine's nice neighbour!)
TDI
2000 Golf TDi GLS (190,000miles); 2011 Golf Wagon TDi Comfortline, reflex silver, sunroof
I love those rial rims that 3 of you got. I want some too! Can I ask how much shipping was? They want 156$ to ship to me in Canada not including taxes.

I pickup my 2011 Golf wagon tdi 6 sp/m Saturday! ( called golf wagon in canada?)My 3rd VW since I have been licensed