2003 TDI automatic transmission problems

greenmtns

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Automatic transmission problems, need help with vag-com log

VAG-COM LOG XLS

Hello everyone :), new to the form and my TDI. I had code 01192 - Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch 04-10 - Mechanical Malfunction - Intermittent on a 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon with 175,000 miles and a 01M phase II automatic transmission. Sometimes the car would stall in drive while stopping because of the torque converter lock-up. The transmission appears to shift fine through all gears without hesitation. Before (ATF and filter change) it also made a noise after it warmed up (10 minutes) coming from around the transmission that sounds like a plastic shield dragging (hitting) on the ground at around 1000 - 1200 rpm while driving.

I just changed the original ATF and filter with recommended VW ATF and filter (175,000 miles on 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI). The fluid was dark in color with what I would call average metal on the magnet and no burnt smell. This appears to have taken care of the torque converter lock-up but the plastic shield dragging (hitting) noise has changed. The noise has quited down (in half) but now it makes the noise when I am in park at an idle, if I am stopped in drive at an idle it does not make the noise. When I am idling in park and I increase the rpm around 1000 the noise stops. While driving, the only time I get the noise is when I am slowing down and the rpm hits around 1000 I get the noise for a split second then stops once the rpm drops below 1000.

I have only driven the car 100 miles (heavy city driving) since the ATF change without having the torque converter locking-up. Maybe I should continue to drive it and see if the noise goes away. I think the torque converter might not be getting the correct line pressure and it is chattering at the lower rpm (if possible). I have a vag-com log (above) of group 4 & 7 that was done right after I changed the ATF and filter, I do not have a log before ATF change. At the end of the log I put markers when it would make the noise. I do not know what some of the numbers in the log mean so I am looking for anyone that might have any ideas on what the problem could be.

Last edited:

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
You often see people selling valve bodys for these transmissions for between $100 & $400 (even though that is a lot of $$ its still a lot cheaper than replacing the transmission). Sonnax sells a 119940-01K TCC Boost Valve Kit that corrects this problem. If you email me at pruzink@charter.net I will send you the info from their catalog, I'm not sure if this kit requires the valve body to be reamed to a slightly larger bore or not.

greenmtns

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I am thinking about getting a control valve to rebuild or rebuilt. I have FDB for a transmission code, would I need to get a control valve out of or for a FDB transmission? Maybe any control valve will do?

Last edited:

greenmtns

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
To answer my last question, I just found this in the Bentley Service Manual and it states that the code for the control valve body is QFB on a FDB transmission. Almost all the control valve body's on the 01M transmission are the same. Except for the control valve body on the EPP transmission, it has a code of QFA.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Necroposting to promote yourself and drum up business is not going to get you anywhere here.