Fuel range on 2010 TDI Jetta DSG

davidteran

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Hi guys, I'm new here; been peaking for a while now (since way back in 2008 when I had a 2004 TDI Beetle), but finally decided to post.

I recently bought a 2010 TDI Jetta DSG with 109k miles on it, in pretty clean condition, for $6000 at an auction. I absolutely love it. It has a few necessary repairs needed (the touch screen doesn't work... I think it needs a new digitizer?; windshield has 4 or 5 1/4" chips, etc).

Anyways. I did the regular maintenance first week of buying it (oil, filters, etc), but I've noticed my gas average is less than impressive.

I filled up last night, and the fuel range on my dashboard computer said "395". What am I doing wrong? I read about all these 500, 600, 700, and even 800 mile tanks on here and I want to cry! What should my range say?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

nakkers

TDI
2014 Golf Wagen TDI DSG CL
I suspect the range display is calculating based on a lot of start ups and idle. Even with some highway cruising, it won't adjust too much.

Give it some time. Hand calculate for the first couple of fill ups.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Compute the tank economy by hand. That is the only number that is real and makes any sense. Actually at least three tank averages is better. Start tracking your fuel economy at www.fuelly.com

Mid 30's to mid 40's is to be expected overall. Long multi hundred mile trips on the interstate at slower speeds will yield higher numbers.

Also resize your pictures so you don't blow the screen margins out like you have. Makes for difficult reading.

Last edited:

Chyeezy

TDI
2010 Jetta
Just recently bought a '10 Jetta with a DSG- love it, but my MFD displayed a 400 range on the tank- currently just above half with 300 mile driven and my MFD shows 340 left. Orginally the MFD showed my full tank range at 440.
I would take the range with a grain of salt- especially since you havn't driven it much yet. The MFD calculation is based on history and other info.
Like mentioned in the above posts- do a manual calculation for MPG the first few tanks, I do it every tank out of habit, but this will be the most accurate way to track MPG and tank range.
just fill the tank up- let it sit- and top it off(let the bubble settle after the first stop by the pump). Reset the trip meter and then drive- when you fill up take your Miles on the trip meter / Gallons put in(make sure you top the tank off again).

davidteran

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Thank you all for the tips! I'll definitely be using the the Fuelly app! (One weird note is no matter the settings, it still shows as liters).

Sorry about the large pictures... !

I'm doing a mix of I'd say 50-50 city and highway driving.

Sent from my iPhone

man02195

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW JSW
Thank you all for the tips! I'll definitely be using the the Fuelly app! (One weird note is no matter the settings, it still shows as liters).
Did you change Display Units to the top one, US (gallons, miles, MPG) ?

davidteran

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
I talked with customer service and they helped me resolve the problem, via signing in to the website and changing it there. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
While my car isn't as new as yours (2004 BEW Jett Wagon) I am 70 percent city and just averaged my best 36.5mpg for the tank. I use fuelly too. I have an auto wagon. I usually get 460 miles to the tank. On average based off my tripometer. I would say your car should get better?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I used the method that fuelly says is the EPA method.

http://www.fuelly.com/tips/555/Find-your-true-cityhighway-driving-splits

If your car has a menu display for average speed, reset it when you fill up. At your next fill up, record the average speed for the tank, and use it to find your "true" city/hwy driving splits in the following formulas:

Percentage of Highway Driving = 100*(AVG SPD - CITY)/(48 - 21)

Percentage of City Driving = 100(1-(Calculated HWY%)).

Any average speed under 21 MPH is 100% city, and anything over 48 MPH is 100% highway driving.

For example: If at your next fill up, your average speed is 35 MPH, your city/hwy splits using the formula above are: 52% hwy, 48% city driving.

Repeating this at each fill up allows you to compare your driving on Fuelly directly to the EPA estimates, rather than guesstimating your city/hwy splits. It also gives you much more consistent results than guessing does.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It can't do the math. You have to know your average speed to calculate the percentage. The slider on fuelly is just a scale you can adjust. Do the calculation and set the slider to the answer. I have suggested to them to just add a box for the average speed so it sets automatically. It hasn't been implemented yet though. Suggest it again and maybe they will!

davidteran

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Wow. That sounds super easy... Yet I can't figure out the formula! Heh.

Any geniuses willing to write out the formula in mathematical format? :D

Sent from my iPhone

davidteran

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
So after a dozen or so fill ups, the best I can average on across an entire tank is 34.4mpg.

This is driving me insane! I'll get 43-45mpg on many specific trips... But overall, I'm incredibly disappointed. I just had the oil and filters changed, so I'm not sure what else I should do next.

Help?!

I definitely drive with a light foot, trying to be extremely conscientious of my fuel consumption

Sent from my iPhone

davidteran

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
So... I'm back almost half a year later, and I'm still going insane.

I've been meticulous about keeping track of my gas mileage, using Fuelly every single time I fill up...

I STILL CAN'T AVERAGE ANYWHERE CLOSE TO 40MPG!

What can I be doing wrong?!

I had my brakes done a while back. I've had the oil changed at the VW dealership, including the air filter. What is going on?!

I know I drive with a light foot... Not necessarily like a grandma, but the pedal is never near the metal!

It is a 2010 TDI VW Jetta with automatic DSG transmission.

EPA estimates are 30mpg in the city, and 40mpg on the highway... I drive a lot of highway.

I've taken it into the dealership, and they don't have any idea what to tell me.

What should I do?

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
Your "light foot" might be contributing to the problem. Have you ever taken it out for a 30 minute drive and kept the rpms @ 3000? That might be difficult to do with a dsg. At the very least, an Italian tune-up may be in order. It couldn't hurt your crappy fuel economy to stomp on it occasionally. From what I understand, these cars don't play nice when they are babied.

I like to take mine for a romp up Mt. Charleston ever 1-2 months. It always runs better afterward, not just wity more power but also better fuel economy.

SuperDaveAPK

TDI
2009 Jetta
My 2009 has the same issue. I have never gotten close to 40 in the year I've owned it. I took it to a local guru and he said I was flowing a lot of fuel when the A/C was on. I can't remember the actual VCDS screen, but I seem to remember the usual range was .6 - .8 and I was 1.0. He said it's high but not enough to throw an error code.

Since I'm in Central Florida, running with no A/C isn't an option.

stoner-tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta sportwagen
Your "light foot" might be contributing to the problem. Have you ever taken it out for a 30 minute drive and kept the rpms @ 3000? That might be difficult to do with a dsg. At the very least, an Italian tune-up may be in order. It couldn't hurt your crappy fuel economy to stomp on it occasionally. From what I understand, these cars don't play nice when they are babied.

I like to take mine for a romp up Mt. Charleston ever 1-2 months. It always runs better afterward, not just wity more power but also better fuel economy.
yep giving the good old "pedal to the metal" keeps car running great!! I am a firm believer in it!!

I personally had it clear a misfire and smooth out the idle on an older car...

nakkers

TDI
2014 Golf Wagen TDI DSG CL
80-90% highway for 2014 VW JSW with DSG and averaged just about 38 MPGs.

I set the cruise at an actual speed 74-75 MPH. (80 MPH indicated)

I'm sure if I followed the speedometer indicated 65 MPH, I'd likely be cruising at an actual 60 MPH And likely achieve 40 MPGs or better.

My wife drives it and does get 40 MPGs or so but, she is much more light footed than I am.

I don't track on fuelly but do log my miles and consumption for work so, it's accurate. Not using the car display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjk58

TDI
2009JettaSedanDSG/2014JSWDSG
check your tire pressure. I run 39#. I can see a 10% hit if its low 30s#

but as already stated, your driving style and driving route specifics are major factors

davidteran

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Ok... So I can check my tire pressure. I'll do that.

In the hot Texas summertime, and for best overall gas mileage, what's the recommended PSI?

And the "pedal to the metal" suggestion seems contradictory! haha. But I will give it a try.

I'm definitely not as hip with all this car lingo as y'all are... But what is an "Italian tune-up", and where can I get one done? Haha.