a list of all gtgs

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
I know there are area forums where the local gtgs are discussed.

What I would suggest would be to make one forum for all the planned gtgs. Just the gtgs. I believe there are several reasons:

1. It would be way easier to spot Jeff. We all know how hard is to get in touch with him.
2. It would be easier to plan parts shopping from tdiclub vendors and save on shipping.
3. It would be easier to plan any trips. Why not stop by and meet new TDI enthusiast while you on the other side of the country.
4. It would finally save a lot of time to find the details: address, contact, members attending etc.

I believe that the best way to do it would be to set up the thread on the local forum for a discussion, and once the details are set up, post another thread on the all planned gtgs forum with just the address, date, directions, contact, list of members who plan to appear (+ their cars) and the link to original thread. And just have it updated by the gtg maintainer.

There is one thing to resolve. Is there any way to have the forum in chronological/alphabetical order based on the dates of gtgs? Let's say we could agree on certain title format: YEAR-MO-DA, LOCATION.

Let me know what you think.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
maloosheck said:
I know there are area forums where the local gtgs are discussed.

What I would suggest would be to make one forum for all the planned gtgs. Just the gtgs. I believe there are several reasons:

1. It would be way easier to spot Jeff. We all know how hard is to get in touch with him.
2. It would be easier to plan parts shopping from tdiclub vendors and save on shipping.
3. It would be easier to plan any trips. Why not stop by and meet new TDI enthusiast while you on the other side of the country.
4. It would finally save a lot of time to find the details: address, contact, members attending etc.

I believe that the best way to do it would be to set up the thread on the local forum for a discussion, and once the details are set up, post another thread on the all planned gtgs forum with just the address, date, directions, contact, list of members who plan to appear (+ their cars) and the link to original thread. And just have it updated by the gtg maintainer.

There is one thing to resolve. Is there any way to have the forum in chronological/alphabetical order based on the dates of gtgs? Let's say we could agree on certain title format: YEAR-MO-DA, LOCATION.

Let me know what you think.
Are you not able to post in the calender?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/calendar.php

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
tongsli said:
Are you not able to post in the calender?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/calendar.php
The only problem with that is the very low signal to noise ratio, unless there is a way to hide the birthdays.

In addition there needs to be a way to quickly scan a list of future dates / locations. Calendars are good for actually seeing when a date is in relationship to other dates, but as far as quickly scanning a list, it may not work so well.

Something like:
Jan
Jan 1. Chicago IL. Details
Jan 1. Washington DC. Details
Jan 1. Seattle, IL Details

Jan 7. Indianapolis, In. Details
Jan 7. Nowhere, IA. Details
Jan 8. Jericho, KS Details

Details could link to the specific thread.

kharmin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta, DSG, Package 0
darkscout - I like that idea!

Another possibility is 2 Calendars: one for mettings, GTGs, etc, the other for birthdays - but that does require more set-up and maintenance for Admin.

tongsli - No, we cannot post to the Calendar, as long as it doesn't even show 2007!