Cant get fuel filter to prime and other issues

etendick

TDI
Volkswagon Passat
We have a 1996 Passat tdi 230,000 miles on it . It started off with the car surging when started cold, check engine light on was for 6 months the erg?(per vw dealership ) (right side by the cabin filter.) Then when she was driving it started to chug then died. When I got there I could start the car and it idled, But when I put it into 1st gear it felt like I was in 3rd gear and died. I brought it home and the next day it would not start. I could see fuel moving and a couple of air bubbles in the line.I replaced the fuel fitter (dry as the manuals say to do(has worked in the past) )will not send fuel to the filter, I put 5 gallons in just to make sure fuel gauge was working. I checked to see if there was a lift pump VW says no , injection pump $700-1100.I did find out there is a relay for the fuel pump. Would that be where to start? Would putting a hose in a fuel can with a nipple to a hose threw the filter tell me anything? Car has got to move or I need to get an old cheap beater . Is there any way to rig it to go? just 14 miles a day round trip. Money is really tight .My wife can take me to work. But my boss drives me home (not a good thing). I work 6 days a week 10 to 12 hrs a day. Got the morning off today. Any help would be great. Thanks Dean

TDIBill

Veteran Member
TDI
97Passat, 96 Passat Variant

etendick

TDI
Volkswagon Passat
Could I buy a in line fuel pump form Napa for $15 and put it in before the filter and put an on off switch or hook it to the key some how ?

etendick

TDI
Volkswagon Passat
Just called Napa They would need to know what the lift pump pressure is. Does anyone know what it is ? Thanks Dean

TDIBill

Veteran Member
TDI
97Passat, 96 Passat Variant
There is no separate lift pump, It's part of the injection pump. Most fuel pumps like Napa sells won't flow enough & won't last.

Last edited: