PD - P0299 - Goes into limp mode

TurnerBFC

TDI
2004 Jetta PD
My 2004 jetta tdi (BEW) goes into limp mode and occasionally hands me a gift of an engine light, P0299, which is an under-boost code. I replaced the clip on the intercooler pipe which seems to help, but I think I still have a boost leak somewhere. Can anyone shed some light on where I should look for leaks or to replace? I've heard the N75?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
P0299 "Control Range Not Reached" can be caused by a dirty EGR Valve not fully seating. That was the problem with my BHW as diagnosed by Jeff @ RocketChip. Works great now.

TurnerBFC

TDI
2004 Jetta PD
P0299 "Control Range Not Reached" can be caused by a dirty EGR Valve not fully seating. That was the problem with my BHW as diagnosed by Jeff @ RocketChip. Works great now.
Is the best thing for me to do is start by cleaning the egr? Any chemicals you can recommend that will help?

TurnerBFC

TDI
2004 Jetta PD
I had part of a can of brake cleaner that I used. Other folks here have soaked the GER in kerosene and even water and reported good results.

See posts #100 through #103 in this thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=383808
Ok great! My friend works at an auto shop, he told me to take off the EGR and he will clean it up in the Varsol tank for me. I'll start with that. Thanks 1854sailor:)

TurnerBFC

TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Ok, so...I REPLACED the EGR with one that my buddy had from his PD that he cleaned up and I still seem to have a loss of power. Can anyone recommend something else to try? I'm going to look into vacuum lines this weekend. It's becomes a real pain.

Although, I have not seen the P0299 code in two days, so it appears I've fixed something.