Jetta Wagon...any more backseat room

Danny Boy

Veteran Member
Hey all,

I have a sister who is recently widowed. Unfortunately she has two young children.
Why is this relevant?

She is car hunting, for something that will be easy to get the kids in and out of (two car seats). Would anyone care to comment on the ease of child transportation in the wagons? Are the back seats any more roomy with the different body style?

Any female perspectives are greatly appreciated...

Thanks all

Steve in California

Veteran Member
DB:

My sympathy to your sister. Same thing happened to me 8 years ago and it's not a fun thing to go through.

Anyway...My 2 little great-nieces were just here and I put both of their car seats in the backseat of my new Jetta wagon. The 5 year old could touch the back of the front seat, but the 3 year old wasn't tall enough yet. I think they had plenty of room and they didn't complain at all.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Hi Danny Boy, With no offense meant to current owners of A4 Variants but, I think the back seat room on these vehicles are a friggin joke. I think the best bet would be a B4 sedan or variant. By golly, I think an A3 Jetta would even be better and I happen to have a prime one if they are interested. Later!

days-like-this

Veteran Member
TDI
future A3 TDI-er
DannyBoy: I just bought a new jetta wagon, but haven't picked it up yet, so my experience will be from my 2001 Jetta sedan. The back seat of the jettas are great, but no bigger than years past. My female perspective is that if it is for your sister, then she probably isn't really tall like a guy might be (I'm 5'-4" for example) so when I'm in the front seat of my Jetta (2001 sedan), there is AMPLE room in the back. Now, if a really tall guy gets in there and has to push the seat back, you might want to re-arrange the carseats accordingly. I have a 6 year old nephew and a 1.5 year old niece and they love Jettas! They actually own a Subaru Outback wagon, which doesn't seem to have a lot more room...my nephew enjoys putting his feet on the back of the seats
Maybe she could get leather and it would be easily cleaned? Good luck to her.

Steve in Cal: Finally bought my wagon! Thanks for all your help. I don't pick it up until June 7...bought it in Colorado actually

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
in my experience they are really no different than any other four door sedan on the market today, especially in that class. people forget that the passats are in a higher class, one reason the rear seats have so much more room. unless she's tall, she'll probably have no trouble at all.

Rodg Petersen

Veteran Member
We put my granddaughter & carseat in both the Jetta sedan and the Passat wagon with no trouble. In the Jetta, the carseat has to go behind my wife (5'0") not me(6'1"). In the Passat, it does not matter. In the Jetta she can reach the front seatback with her muddy little feet, can't do it in the Passat, but she is a very tall 4 year old, mom 6'2" dad 6'4". She of course vastly prefers the Dodge truck due to that Cummins rumble.
Rodg

TDI 1

Veteran Member
If the driver and passenger are 6' or taller you will have to compromise some room in order to all fit. The wagon has more headroom in the back than the sedan but the leg room is the same. The Jetta is a small car. If you have to transport 4 people on a regular basis and they are somewhat tall you need to get a bigger car.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Hi DB
Just bought a Jetta wagon with auto tranny last week. The leg room is about the same but in the wagon I (6'4") can site upright in the rear seat and not hit the roof with my head. This was not the case in the sedan. It was the deciding factor in the purchase of our wagon over the sedan. We really like it!