1998 Jetta TDI won't start

powerram250

TDI
2004 PD Jetta/ 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Hello all, I am new to the TDIs and have a few questions about my new '98 Jetta. First off I bought it from a seller who said it just wouldn't start one day. So checking around I see it's getting fuel, cracked the injection lines loose (fuel squirts out) and I'm getting white (unburned fuel) smoke out the exhaust. I've checked the intake for an air restriction but it is pretty clean in there. Same with the air filter and screen in the air box. My question is how long are the glow plugs supposed to stay on? The light comes on for about a second then goes out. I only get about 1.5V at the g.ps. for a short second then goes back to no volts. What is the temp/time for the g.ps. to operate. So far I have fuel, air, and hopefully compression. I do need to check the compression of each cylinder. Are there any sensors or relays I need to check. Thank You.
P.S. I don't think this vehicle has an anti shudder valve?

powerram250

TDI
Does Chilton or Haynes make a repair manual for my car? Been looking with no luck. Thanks. -Kevin

fischer624

TDI
1998 jetta tdi
Hi, and welcome to the club. You are in the right place for help in getting your 98 Jetta on the road . A few months ago I bought a 98 Jetta "no start" and with the help of the great members of this forum it's on the road and I love this car.First ,the glow plugs will only come on for a second if the temperature is above 40 degrees,you can disconnect the coolant sensor to fool the ECU and they will stay on longer.Next I would remove the upper timing belt cover to see that the belt is intact and tight.Then have someone crank the engine while you look to see that the cam and IP are turning .You will need a lock pin and a cam plate to verify correct engine timing .You probably have no idea when the timing belt was replaced, so plan on changing the tensioner ,belt and roller.Info can be found in the FAQ section.The BENTLEY MANUAL is what you need to work on these cars.There are also posts in TDIFAQ at the top of the page for NO START- Bill P.S. No anti -shudder valve on this engine

Last edited:

powerram250

TDI
Okay, thank you very much. I'll get to checking those items and get the manual bought. -Kevin

powerram250

TDI
Okay so I'm waiting on my Bentley to get here. The coolant temp sensor isn't the one right up front plugging right into the radiator hose? If it is, I've unplugged it and still the light comes on for only a second. New timing belt and accessories will be here tomorrow so I can get the timing checked out. The I.P. has a slot for a pin right, and the camshaft has what now to align it to be correct? And the crank has to be with #1 on TDC with both valves closed (compression going on to power).

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
No, the AHU (yours) has a hole in the pump pulley about 5/8" diameter that lines up with a hole in the pump mount at about 3 o'clock when facing the pump.

Not to be confused with the later ALH with a slot in the pulley mounting hub that lines up with a 6mm hole in the pump body itself at about 12 o'clock.

Read the A3 timing belt how-to in the Articles.

powerram250

TDI
Alrighty, thank you guys for helping me out. Today I finally had time to work on it and figured out I had a timing problem. The injection pump and cam shaft were lined up but the crank was retarded one rib on the belt. Luckily no damage was done (I hope). I got the new belt on and got it where I could start it and it took right off. I also unplugged the coolant temp sensor and got the g plugs to come on and had around 8.5v. to them. Thanks again for the very nice right up on A3 timing belt replacement in the how to. I'll get a new tensioner tomorrow and put on and get her thrown back together and get it on the road.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Why a new tensioner? If it needs a new tensioner does it need a belt and rollers too? Have they been changed recently and you suspect the tensioner because the timing was off?

powerram250

TDI
The tensioner spring tab was broke on the back side of it, so I figured to replace. Yep new gates belt and tensioner.

powerram250

TDI
Alright. Timing is done, now looking at the gap between the cam lobes and the tappets there is quite a bit of gab between them. Now is there a secret way to adjust the shims in there. My bentley manual is on it's way, so maybe you guys can get me started on it. Thanks. -Kevin

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
All TDIs use hydraulic cam followers, and hence there is no end user adjustment required.

The only time I've ever seen valve lash on a TDI is if it had bent valves and crushed followers.

big_worm81

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta TDI's
fischer624 said:
First ,the glow plugs will only come on for a second if the temperature is above 40 degrees,
Im reading my bently manual right now ... in case you want more specific info ...

"Due to the efficiency of the TDI engine design, the additional heat that the glow plugs provide is not needed until temperatures drop below 48F/9C. This function is known as preglow. In addition to pre glowing, the plugs will continue to operate after the engine is started. This is knows as afterglowing, and is used to reduce engine noise, improve idle quality and reduce hydro carbon emmissions. The afterglow function is enabled after every start, both hot and cold until the specified time has expired or the engine speed exceeds 2500RPM"

Also "the period of preglow depends on the temperature of the engine coolant as determined by the computer"

powerram250

TDI
Alright, just a quick update. The car is now running good. I replaced the timing belt, tensioner, 8 new hydraulic cam followers, and now I'm replacing the rear wheel bearings along with two new parking brake cables. Two of the 8 lifters were flat or solid so I replaced them all. Get the rear brakes done now and she should be on the road. Thanks for the great info on this site along with nice members. By the way my Bentley manual showed up and it is full of great information also. -Kevin

Skylineblc

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
My TDI died while driving

Hello, I am new to the TDI world. I have had mine for a yr now it has 266,000 miles on it it has run great been getting 50+ MPG since i bought it. the other day i checked the oil before heading out on a trip. It started kind of rough but i didn't think anything about it it was 21 out so pretty cold. After it was all warm and ready i hoped in to leave i made it about 5 blocks. It took off like a bat out of hell most power i ever felt then immediately died, and now sits in my driveway cranks but does not start. any recommendations? I checked the 109 relay and it checked out fine. now i don't think there is a pump other than the injector pump but i swear i used to hear a pump run for a few seconds after turning on the key now i hear nothing. the car seems to not be getting gas. it started on starting fluid I only did that once just to see if it was mechanical i know that using that **** can pre detonate so i only used it once but like i said i don't think i am getting fuel to injectors or the filter in that case. I need help haha.