MK4/2002 Golf Headlight Replacement/Upgrade

gataloca

TDI
GLS 2002 Silver

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
IME, unless the lights are made by Hella, the internals and light output will be notably inferior to OE. Some OEM suppliers (Valeo) make products of almost equal quality to Hella, but often at similar prices. Much of the aftermarket stuff is really not very good, even as the housings have improved. My suggestion: Get either Hella replacements (Golf or GTI), well-made specialty lights (see Jeff's thread in the Classifieds), or if you want cheap and quality, take some headlights (that are in good shape) with faded lenses off a wrecked late model Mk IV Golf, replace the lenses for $60, and you'll have new-car OE Hella quality for not much money. Salvage yards and CL often have Golf headlights in good condition (no broken tabs, good wiring, cover plates in place, adjustment knobs working) for very cheap prices.

And BTW, I wouldn't pay $20 for those Spec-D headlights.

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I will be posting up a set of Hella E-codes to classifieds here soon.

Used but in great condition, with Laminex already installed.

If interested, PM me.

gataloca

TDI
GLS 2002 Silver
Some OEM/Hella replacements have orange turn signals and some have clear. Is this more than an aesthetic difference? My factory lights have orange, but I'm interested in clear.

Thank you.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
I'd like to replace my headlights. They're cloudy and the adjusters are broken. I'm not looking to get anything fancy or spend too much. I found these two on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Replacement-Headlight-Assembly-without/dp/B004BCFU5I/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016RXM38K/

Any reason not to get the ones in the first link? The few reviews are good. Any other suggestions?

Thank you!
I had a similar problem, and unless it's Hella or Valeo, it's probably C.R.A.P (Chinese Replacement Auto Parts). I chose the Hella EC code and they were MK5 lights in a MK 4 housing. I can say that they were ABOVE my expectations. The awesome low beam, made fog lights unnecessary. Also, IMO, what the price on the first link is, is much more than I paid a couple of years ago. The second link isn't worth the time to read it

gataloca

TDI
GLS 2002 Silver
Also, IMO, what the price on the first link is, is much more than I paid a couple of years ago.
Even considering that the first link is for a pair of headlights? (I'm not considering getting the linked pair; just surprised if you found a pair for less than $167!)

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Some OEM/Hella replacements have orange turn signals and some have clear. Is this more than an aesthetic difference? My factory lights have orange, but I'm interested in clear.

Thank you.
No, no difference other than aesthetic, and that for most units you have to source orange bulbs or LEDs. The clear began (IIRC) when the MkIII Cabrio adopted a MkIV front face, and MkIV J & G followed this. Soon after the clear was replaced by orange. Hella e-codes are usually clear, and if you get Jeff's (mentioned above), you get to pick.

I'm a big fan of lighting projects, but IMO, headlights are an area you don't want to skimp on.

gataloca

TDI
GLS 2002 Silver
I'm a big fan of lighting projects, but IMO, headlights are an area you don't want to skimp on.
Your advice at the top of the thread convinced me not to skimp. I found a good deal on Hella lights on eEuroparts.com—about $250 total. I've had crappy lights for so long; I'm pretty excited to replace them.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
Even considering that the first link is for a pair of headlights? (I'm not considering getting the linked pair; just surprised if you found a pair for less than $167!)
Mistake on my part, I didn't pay attention to detail, and thought it was for a single lamp. Over the years, I've bought a number of these lights, in pairs, and except for the 20th anniversary Edition GTI lights, which I got from Berlin, through my family in Germany, all the others I got from Rally Lights, in Pa., and they were all in that price range. In fact the MK 5 set up on my Jetta, the ones with the fantastic low beams, which are better than the set on my Golf, were on sale for $110 for the pair.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Your advice at the top of the thread convinced me not to skimp. I found a good deal on Hella lights on eEuroparts.com—about $250 total. I've had crappy lights for so long; I'm pretty excited to replace them.
That's a solid price for new Hella lamps. If they come with glass lenses, consider adding Lamix-X for $30. It's worth it. You can add it to poly lenses, too, which will prevent scratching and fading, but most owner's don't.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mistake on my part, I didn't pay attention to detail, and thought it was for a single lamp. Over the years, I've bought a number of these lights, in pairs, and except for the 20th anniversary Edition GTI lights, which I got from Berlin, through my family in Germany, all the others I got from Rally Lights, in Pa., and they were all in that price range. In fact the MK 5 set up on my Jetta, the ones with the fantastic low beams, which are better than the set on my Golf, were on sale for $110 for the pair.
I visited the guys at Susquehanna (Rally Lights) once, when on the way to Hershey. I had a set of the discontinued Hella DE's which were missing a single, odd size bracket or mounting item, and they searched through dozens of boxes just to find me a spare. They refused to take a dollar for it.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Thank you.
It was a switchover mid MK4.

My old 02 had clear lens for the turn signal.

You can try:
https://store.blackforestindustries.com/fkgoblhew.html

Likely to be made by Depo.

If your state inspection doesn't check for the DOT code on the headlight lens, you'll be fine.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
I visited the guys at Susquehanna (Rally Lights) once, when on the way to Hershey. I had a set of the discontinued Hella DE's which were missing a single, odd size bracket or mounting item, and they searched through dozens of boxes just to find me a spare. They refused to take a dollar for it.
That sounds like Dan. He retired about 9 months ago. He KNEW his stuff