cant get over the 40mpg hump..lol

GOTLIFT02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
Just cant get my car over 40mpg..lol.

im averaging like 37mpg, with ventectomy, and a cleared snow screen, and 18s, with a nice, low resistance tire.. Something Im missing? With 50,000 miles Id imagine im broken in.. The filter is clean, intake is clear, everything seams great, car runs great..

My cause for concern again..

I was learning to deal with it, and hell 37mpg is great! but, I just met someone who has a 02 TDI, with a body kit, 18" rims (with the same tires as me), no drop, no engine enhancements. And she is tracking her mileage, thats the reason she bought the car, economy, with 81,000 miles, she gets 50mpg+ on the highway at 75-80mph, and 42mpg+ in the city driving like she stole it. I drive like grandma, and get less, alot less, and that is mainly freeway driving, I have been driving harder lately to test her experience..Maybe my mileage will increase, so far, just left the full mark with 109 miles on the trip, but it goes fast from there....

I have heard of timing being the issue? im close to a change at 60k. Do you think something is whacked out with that??

Anything else I should be on the mark for? my first tank I got 46mpg, after that it went to 37mpg..period. Just worried something is wrong with the car. Thanks for reading. -Jordan

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
auto or manual?
Also, the 18's are going to kill it.
The person you spoke with about getting almost 50 highway with 18's going 75-80 is embellishing.

Those of us who get 50 run stock rim sizes and drive conservatively.

GOTLIFT02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
They are a bit heavy, 30-35lbs a piece. Im looking at some super lightweight ones at 21lbs a piece. maybe that will help. She freaking tracks it in her notebook.! lol. if she sees an inconsistancy, she takes it to the dealer..

Automatic btw, and she has an automatic as well. -jordan

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
GOTLIFT02 said:
(snip) I have heard of timing being the issue? im close to a change at 60k. Do you think something is whacked out with that?? (snip)
__. I have my timing reset (I usually get 56-60 mpg tanks with the winter fuel that we have now) but I didn't notice a big change between before and after. But, sorry to hijack your thread, but check your timing belt. If your '02 is like mine, it had the "80k Belt/roller" from the factory. That applies to autos, too. (If you use the later belt and larger-bearing roller from '03 cars, you can go 100K before you have to change again).
'

4vdubs

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2003, Silver
I have an 03 automatic and get 35 everyday with some hard accelerations thrown-in from time-to-time and 41 to 43 on the highway. My timing is set midway between the middle and top of the graph "58" I think on Vag-com. From what I understand, the rims have a big effect on mileage; I have stock 15" alloys.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
GOTLIFT02 said:
damn, so what is the problem!! 37mpg..grrr. I feel like im getting the shaft..lol. -Jordan
Jordan,

Your friend is probably driving like a grandma. You probably are driving more like hell on wheels. Take her approach, ****can the ghey big wheels, use high quality fuel and an occasional splash of additive and you'll easily crack the 45++ zone. It doesn't have to be hard...just slow down and obey physics (big wheels suck from a physics standpoint--listen to the laws of physics and stop fighting them.)

GOTLIFT02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
she drives like she stole it with 18s, and a body kit, no muffler. I drive like grandma..lol. im going to be getting some lighter rims, maybe that will up the mileage..

I recently got a new MAFS about 2,000 miles ago, before that I was getting like 42+ could that be programmed wrong? or something? Lemme know. Thanks -Jordan

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Dumb question--she doesn't have smaller overall diameter tires, right? As in, the odometer isn't reading off? I don't want to call "liar liar" but 50mpg in an automatic TDI being driven hard with nonstock tires seems to be stretching.

Maybe that body kit is more than just for looks (and isn't detrimental)...

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
GPS verify both your car's mileage and hers.

Then, swap cars. See what happens. If hers gets worse mileage under you, and her numbers are GPS corrected, then it's likely your driving style, especially if she gets better mileage than you do when driving your car.

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
Gotta second supton's opinion. I would ask for a detailed review of her "tracking" methods for fuel consumption -- don't wanna disparage anyone, but her numbers are just not very believable.

As 4vDubs indicated, having your timing tweaked could be beneficial.

You also have a thread going about some crappy, bent-up rims you bought off the kid from NJ. Are these the same 18's you are now riding on? Simplest advice (as others have suggested before) Lose 'em! At least for a couple tanks so you can re-check your mileage with some more conservative wheels. No need to swap cars.

Also, who replaced your MAF and what replacement did you go with? If you lost 5mpg right after that was done, it points to something (exactly what I don't know, but something).

Good luck with it all,

JJ

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
GOTLIFT02 said:
she drives like she stole it with 18s, and a body kit, no muffler. I drive like grandma..lol. im going to be getting some lighter rims, maybe that will up the mileage..
Yup, definitely agree w/JJ and others. She's using the 'eyeball method' to determine fuel economy. 50+ with automatic in city driving (like hell on wheels?) I think NOT.

GOTLIFT02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
Ok, Im going to have to soon, ride on stockers, ill check it out. Thats for sure.

VW installed the MAFS under warranty.

got some exel 18x7.5 E-2s coming my way in a couple days, they are going to be paired with the tires now. Overall diameter is not changing one bit. -Jordan

GOTLIFT02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
I filled up my tank yesterday after miles of driving it like I stole it, and I achieved nothing. 37mpg. Kicking its ass everywhere I go. lol. Cant understnad this one. Errr.. bastard car...lol. -Jordan