www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old November 1st, 2018, 16:43   #11116
Anomious

$3.01 today in Baltimore...

I remember $.259!!
Anomious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2018, 17:06   #11117
93celicaconv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93celicaconv View Post
So what has happened in the US causing diesel prices to be higher than regular unleaded? Years ago in the US, diesel was always lower than regular unleaded, just as it was in Europe. Why did prices flip/flop in the US?
This was the context of my question - what changed? US & Europe diesel were both lower than gasoline/petrol. In Europe, still is. But it flipped in the US.

The principles of capitalism (prices dictated by laws of supply & demand), as the most recent response suggests, makes some sense, given the refineries are geared towards gasoline/petrol here, and not as much diesel. But, I haven't heard a shortage of diesel that impacts availability (some fuel stations can't get their tanks filled with diesel). Same with winter heating oil (very similar to diesel) - in recent years, no shortage in the US.
I think what I am trying to say here is US fuel pricing doesn't follow the laws of supply & demand - it follows some other principle. That concerns me.

I think I've stirred up enough folks in this forum for now, and I apologize for that. I'll stop further posts. Just frustrated how fuel prices here follow a somewhat different drum than the laws of supply & demand.
93celicaconv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2018, 17:38   #11118
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
I think what I am trying to say here is US fuel pricing doesn't follow the laws of supply & demand - it follows some other principle. That concerns me.

It does somewhat but it is not as simple as you believe. I tried to address it above a little pointing out only ONE factor for the probable reason.

Besides, if the EU has its way, diesel & petrol will be outlawed there within 20 years so the question will be moot!

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2018, 08:58   #11119
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
This was the context of my question - what changed? US & Europe diesel were both lower than gasoline/petrol. In Europe, still is. But it flipped in the US.

The principles of capitalism (prices dictated by laws of supply & demand), as the most recent response suggests, makes some sense, given the refineries are geared towards gasoline/petrol here, and not as much diesel. But, I haven't heard a shortage of diesel that impacts availability (some fuel stations can't get their tanks filled with diesel). Same with winter heating oil (very similar to diesel) - in recent years, no shortage in the US.

I think I've stirred up enough folks in this forum for now, and I apologize for that. I'll stop further posts. Just frustrated how fuel prices here follow a somewhat different drum than the laws of supply & demand.
The biggest cost driver change for diesel is the now required hydrotreatment to remove the excess sulfur. Not sure how much it works out on a per gallon (or liter for our Northern friends) but it does slow down the process. Now instead of coming out of the stripper and into storage or straight to a pipeline, it has to go to a primary storage tank. Gets treated, tested, and then released. IIRC, pump prices going from LSD to ULSD jumped about 20 cents per gallon.

As far as pricing relating to supply and demand, remember that it is now worldwide supply and demand. A small burp in supply in China will have a ripple effect across the globe.

Shipping costs and restraints come in to play too. Cheapest way to move fuel is by pipeline and then by ocean tanker. Most expensive way is over the road trucking.

Last edited by kjclow; November 2nd, 2018 at 09:03.
kjclow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2018, 14:50   #11120
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Arrow

In metro-denver RUG is dropping(~$0.15 down in the last week & half
~$2.55-2.65 this morning)....

....While we are seeing no change is D2 prices(holding around ~$3 +/- 0.05)....
Old November 2nd, 2018, 20:14   #11121
Rodmiser
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: sorry last tank 44.2 MPG

Diesel $2.85 - $3.299 A Gallon

Reg. $2.349 - $2.999 A Gallon

K C MO- K C KS
Old November 3rd, 2018, 18:42   #11122
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

"U.S. crude oil production reached 11.3 million barrels per day (b/d) in August 2018, according to EIA’s latest Petroleum Supply Monthly, up from 10.9 million b/d in July. This is the first time that monthly U.S. production levels surpassed 11 million b/d. U.S. crude oil production exceeded the Russian Ministry of Energy’s estimated August production of 11.2 million b/d, making the United States the leading crude oil producer in the world.

Monthly crude oil production reached a record high in several states. Texas had the highest record level at 4.6 million b/d, followed by North Dakota at 1.3 million b/d. Other states that had record-high production levels were New Mexico, Oklahoma, Colorado, and West Virginia. Production in the Federal Offshore Gulf of Mexico also hit a record high of 1.9 million b/d."

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=37416
'03 Golf with 731k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Blizzaks, TDT or Delvac1
Like TDI Club? Got PayPal? Got $1 or $5 or $10? Contribution link on the main page.
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2018, 05:03   #11123
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I was in LA over the weekend and was pretty stunned by fuel prices in general. My favorite high benchmark station showed RUG at $4.29 and diesel at $4.19. But I saw another station (no diesel) with RUG at $4.49. Yikes.
Old November 5th, 2018, 09:09   #11124
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
I was in LA over the weekend and was pretty stunned by fuel prices in general. My favorite high benchmark station showed RUG at $4.29 and diesel at $4.19. But I saw another station (no diesel) with RUG at $4.49. Yikes.

Better hope that MA doesn't adopt CARB fuel specs. CARB Gasoline is only available from CA refineries, AFAIK so the supply is restricted. The GOOD things about CARB Diesel is the minimum 50 cetane and the soot reduction, but again it is only available from CA refineries. The refineries here in CA also seem to have a habit of coordinating their periodic "maintenance shutdowns" and "accidents" to reduce the supply so they can hike prices.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2018, 09:35   #11125
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Paid $2.89 last night in SC. I was in Orlando earlier this week and saw prices all over the place. One station was equal to Rug at $2.43 while another was a full dollar higher. Also didn't help that most stations post rug prices in red but alternate between non-ethanol gasoline and ULSD in green. Makes me happy I'm not heading that far south for Christmas.
Old November 9th, 2018, 09:00   #11126
tdi_514

$1.39/Litre - Montreal Canada
tdi_514 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2018, 09:43   #11127
Evil

Quote:
This was the context of my question - what changed? US & Europe diesel were both lower than gasoline/petrol. In Europe, still is. But it flipped in the US..
Diesel is dearer than petrol in the UK..

Today's pump price is 1.389/litre, US$2.46, (6.30/UK gallon)

93/93
Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2018, 14:48   #11128
U4ick

I'm seeing a spread of over 80 cents a gallon between RUG and diesel....I feel like I'm being spread.
Old November 11th, 2018, 17:17   #11129
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4ick View Post
I'm seeing a spread of over 80 cents a gallon between RUG and diesel....I feel like I'm being spread.
The spread is always unfavorable at this time of year.
'03 Golf with 731k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Blizzaks, TDT or Delvac1
Like TDI Club? Got PayPal? Got $1 or $5 or $10? Contribution link on the main page.
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2018, 20:34   #11130
vincej

In Calgary today 1.32 per L vs 1.03 for regular gas. More than $1 gallon difference.
vincej is offline   Reply With Quote