www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old June 12th, 2019, 14:04   #1
jovol

Fuel Economy: 40mpg (us)
Default Oil all over inside of wheel/spindle

Hey all, I just finished up replacing springs/shocks/control arm bushings/tie rods/ball joints and steering rack on my '04 jetta wagon. I took it for a test drive, and after parking it and giving things a once-over, I noticed black oil/grease (not sure) all over the inside of the wheel, spindle, etc. I'm guessing this could come from a torn axle boot?? I'm not sure, there doesn't appear an obvious tear. Any ideas how this could have happened?

jovol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 14:19   #2
mr.loops
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 jetta

I suspect a torn cv joint boot.
I would jack up the car again, and with you down below ( or remove the wheel) have a helper turn the steering wheel to full stop. Visually inspect the boot and use your hands to find any small vertical cuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mr.loops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 14:25   #3
jovol

im a ****ing idiot. forgot to reinstall the bracket for the brake disc sensor, so the slack on that cable probably let it slap against the boot.
Old June 12th, 2019, 17:23   #4
jovol

Does anyone have experience with the split or "quick" boot cv kits that are available so I don't have to remove the axle from the car? Wondering if the adhesive will be long lasting
Old June 12th, 2019, 19:42   #5
WildChild80
Veteran Member

I've tried a few things and I didn't have very good luck, but I also had bad luck with reinz boots too...did all 4 and one tore in the first few days...I miss having a 2 post lift, it makes things like this seem far easier if for nothing else, you're not exhausted by the time you get your car up high enough to work on it

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WildChild80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 02:15   #6
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

If the boot is ripped the only real fix is axle removal and a new quality boot. Don’t cheap out or you’ll be doing it again in a short time.

It could be worse, I put a new clutch in several years ago and then had to completely remove the transmission again because I didn’t replace the pivot pin and clip. Less than $20 at the time.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 04:16   #7
mjydrafter
Veteran Member

I recently have had to do a few CV joints. From my research on the matter (one was in the middle of a harsh winter) the split boots may or may not work very well...

Not exactly a ringing endorsement. So I replaced them all with real boots.
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 05:30   #8
jovol

I've seen on the jetta's that had axle bolts (instead of ours with nuts) that you can press the cv joint off with it still on the car. I'm guessing there isn't really a technique for doing that on ours? It's not that I'm against doing this properly, I'm just fed up with replacing all these damn single use bolts on the car, such as the triple square axle flange bolts I would have to be replacing.

I think I'll give the split boot a shot today. Worst outcome it I'm out $20 and I have to do it again, but at least I'd know for the future whether it's a viable solution or not.