Check Engine Light - P2002

ChatNoirTDI

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Greetings,

My Check Engine light came on (solid yellow). Took the car in to a nearby Pep Boys, and they came up with a P2002 code. Took the car in to the dealer the next morning, and they diagnosed the cause of the fault as a leak in the boost hose (going to the intercoolor) and a leak in the pressure hose (to the equivalent of the throttle body). Cost to repair about $750.

Does this make sense?

I have a 2013 Jetta TDI, about 31,000 miles.

Your kind advise is appreciated.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
PepBoys may not be able to read all the codes but...

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18434/P2002/008194

Those exhaust pressure sensors are a known sore spot on these cars.
Get your car away from the dealer.

Check the trusted mechanics list at the top of this page in the sticky threads for someone in your area and see what codes they come up with.
If it requires that an intake hose needs to be replaced (doubt it but, just in case), then you can usually get one at an on-line VW dealer for much less than walking up to the counter.

At that mileage, if it is an emissions related problem, (DPF or exhaust pressure sensor), it may still be under VW warranty.
I could be wrong.

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
The Dealer says an exhaust issue if related to the intake? Think about that for a moment.

If the code flashes for the exhaust the intake is not the culprit.
The engine is between them and the ECM knows better than the dealer.

Definitely get it to someone listed in the trusted mechanics list.

If I took it back to the dealer, I would ask them to guarantee their work and that if the parts replaced do not fix the issue they eat the cost and labor!

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
. . .
If I took it back to the dealer, I would ask them to guarantee their work and that if the parts replaced do not fix the issue they eat the cost and labor!
They would probably just drop in an entire engine then so they could not be wrong . . . and bill accordingly, sadly . . .

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
And if it's the DPF, not the engine, they eat the cost of a new engine too.
Get things in writing!

The diagnosis needs to be for the DPF, not the engine or intake.
Don't let them mess with things the codes are not thrown for!

Ask to see the full scan print out too so you can understand more about it.

Auto store scanners don't see everything!

ChatNoirTDI

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Thanks All for your kind replies.

Ended up authorizing the dealer to go ahead with the repair...recommended private shop couldn't take my car in until next Wednesday, was already three days into a rental car, plus labor costs at the dealer for diagnostics.

Told P2002 fault (particulate trap bank 1 efficiency below threshold) cleared after leaking hose replaced. Received defective hose with obvious leak from mechanic.

Drove car on freeway, today, for about 30 minutes, higher speeds...Check engine light remained off; performance okay.

Have job Sunday requiring about 100 miles highway driving. Fingers crossed...

If problem not resolved, when should Check Engine light reappear? What else should I look for?

Best regards and, again, my thanks.

ChatNoirTDI

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Well...in just under two weeks of driving, the engine light came on again...local Autozone identified same P2002 code. Returned to dealer. Told DPF needs to be replaced (under warranty). Concerned at this premature DPF failure. Any other issues I should be concerned about?

Your kind advise is appreciated.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Either the dpf was cracked (common) or you aren't letting it regen properly when it's needed.
Cracked DPF? Is this unique to VAG? For the automotive industry? Or is this a general statement on DPFs?

Reason I'm asking is because my tractor has a DPF (no other diesels I own do). I'd never read of such a problem until now. In tractor miles, a DPF is supposed to be warrantied for 3,000 hrs, at which time they're supposedly able to be cleaned to then go for many more hours: I don't expect to ever see these kinds of hours, which is why I didn't worry about getting a tractor with a DPF.

Regarding the OP's issue, I suspect that this is probably SOP for VAG. Replace some easier/cheaper things first hoping the problem is resolved, and only change the DPF as a last resort. May need to first prove that other things aren't responsible before attempting the more expensive repair (when on VAG's dime).

Last edited:

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
MY CEL just came on and it's a P2002 Code: "Particulate Trap Efficiency Below Threshold"

I plan on doing the buyback very soon, good chance within 30-60 days. Can I do any major harm driving the car for 30-60 days, which would probably be no more than about 1,500 miles?

Also, is there anything I can do to make the problem go away? I've been doing just a little reading up on it. If I drive the car a little hard at higher RPMs for 20 minutes, might that make the problem go away?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I've been getting that CEL on the 2012 on and off for almost a year.
Don't worry too much. It may come and go but it doesn't affect driving noticeably.
I'm doing the buyback in 10 days also.

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
The only CEL light I remember on my 2013 was P048C exhaust flap malfunction which had a SB out on it and the exhaust flap was replaced on warranty.

Hayze

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI 2.0L
Now that im thinking about this, I looked at some exhaust schematics using google images.

Even though this thread is old and people are talking about a p2002 code im thinking the reason why its triggering the p2002 is because the flex pipe has broke and is causing an exhaust leak. You might be able to check the flex pipe for any black color (Soot) There is an Exhaust throttle valve that closes which i assume has to do with regen reasons. The valve closes when its time to regen, and helps pick the DPF temp up in order to burn the soot through the filter. While the arrow pointing to the EGR filter is marked, behind the EGR filter pipe that runs and taps in just above the "Unmarked" flex pipe there is also a sensor right next to the EGR inlet at the bottom of the DPF Filter but before the flex pipe. On top of the filter you have a Wide Band Nox sensor as well, i assume both are used to regulate pressure and temp for emissions and regens. There's really no other reason why there would be an exhaust throttle valve for a diesel car unless it has to do with creating a closed loop in order to bring temps and pressure up to cook soot out of the dpf filter.

When i drove semi trucks, every 350k miles on a Peterbilt 579 (2010-up), the flex pipe would rot out and break. Their design was poor, trucks would refuse to do regens and would announce engine derate fault messages in the dash. Flex pipes were common points of failure on those trucks. If the truck did do a regen on a broken flex pipe the cab would fill up with white smoke, sound like a flightier jet taking off and choke you out from burning DEF fluid.

Where im getting at with this very long message and what makes sense to me, The dealer ship tells you, that you now need a new DPF filter, while i decided to ebay check and see of any replacement filters. I found several for my 2009 Jetta TDI, and noticed the flex pipe is factory placed on the DPF filter. So instead of dealership just cutting a bad flex pipe off and welding a new one. They just recommend or tell you that "You need a new dpf filter" because at that point, all they have to do is undo the bolts, connectors, v bands, and slip the new one on in less than 30 minutes and charge you more money.

I might be entirely wrong about this, but this based on my theory's and doing research on these TDI parts.
Here is an image i found off of ebay, you can see what im talking about. I am seeing Black soot at the top of the flex pipe where the chances of it leaking and snapping are most possible.

Edit - While P2002 code says "Particulate Trap Efficiency below threshold 1" As far as i know, im not sure if 1 means the bottom sensor or the top. But if the statement says "Below Efficiency" That is telling me there is a leak somewhere and the most common part to cause a leak on any exhaust system is a flex pipe.

go to google and type "p2002 vw tdi"
and the response says the following.

Error Code P2002 is defined as Diesel Particulate Filter Efficiency below Threshold Bank 1, which refers to an issue in the efficiency of the particulate filter in the exhaust, which is most likely caused by faulty filter or sensor, or "Exhaust Leak".

Why im leaning more towards an exhaust leak is because this is common, this area of the part still sustains a lot of heat, the moves a lot because of engine and suspension, and can depend on where you live and if the roads get salt every single winter, this can cause pipes to corrode and rot out and become weak.

Last edited: