www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub


Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 21st, 2019, 19:17   #31
Huskies2710
Veteran Member
 
Huskies2710's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicago
Default

Hey thread is back now....
Huskies2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2019, 17:05   #32
Dgravle514
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: South Carolina
TDI(s): 14' JSW
Default

I have used both VCDS and OBDeleven. The OBD11 definitely has its place, but I would rather fork up the cash for the VCDS just because the support that they offer on their website and the ease of finding diagnostic information. I could go on and on why I like VCDS more, but I just have time to hit the high points. The biggest reason I like the VCDS more is because I can jump on the forum or the rosstech website and find what I need much faster than looking for what I need through OBDeleven. I had to email OBDeleven one time to ask a question and couldn't find a phone number and had to wait 20 hours for a reply. On the other hand, the the OBD11 has its advantages. It is small and operates off your phone so its easy to keep in the car. I don't always have my laptop in my car to run VCDS. OBDeleven extremely intuitive for the simple stuff like service reminder resets, rear brake release, and some of the mods that everyone does (credits may need to be purchased), but where it is lacking is when you get deeper into trying to diagnose an issue it is harder to find the right coding. I am not saying that OBDeleven is bad, but you get what you pay for.
Dgravle514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2019, 23:18   #33
fastboatster
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgravle514 View Post
I have used both VCDS and OBDeleven. The OBD11 definitely has its place, but I would rather fork up the cash for the VCDS just because the support that they offer on their website and the ease of finding diagnostic information. I could go on and on why I like VCDS more, but I just have time to hit the high points. The biggest reason I like the VCDS more is because I can jump on the forum or the rosstech website and find what I need much faster than looking for what I need through OBDeleven. I had to email OBDeleven one time to ask a question and couldn't find a phone number and had to wait 20 hours for a reply. On the other hand, the the OBD11 has its advantages. It is small and operates off your phone so its easy to keep in the car. I don't always have my laptop in my car to run VCDS. OBDeleven extremely intuitive for the simple stuff like service reminder resets, rear brake release, and some of the mods that everyone does (credits may need to be purchased), but where it is lacking is when you get deeper into trying to diagnose an issue it is harder to find the right coding. I am not saying that OBDeleven is bad, but you get what you pay for.
I think I can see how VCDS and OBDeleven have slightly different uses. However, OBDEleven doesn't work without an internet connection so that negates it's portability factor when you're stuck in some area with poor cell reception and no WiFi/LTE. I also don't like that you need to buy their dongle, I really would like to use a regular OBD-II scanner. But that's not the point I'm making here. Long story short, I made some quick and dirty iOS app to pull some measurement block values (I really wanted to measure trans fluid temp to change the fluid) and dtcs from my 09 Sportwagen (non-TDI, unfortunately) and decided to share it with everybody (called iOBDScanR). It doesn't need any fancy dongles and probably should work with other pq35 vehicles as well. I've been trying to post a little intro about my car and my app on vwvortex and they just don't approve my thread. Oh well.
fastboatster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 15:47   #34
Huskies2710
Veteran Member
 
Huskies2710's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicago
Default

Did not realize it has to have an internet connection. This could be bad if your stuck in a bad cell area. I was liking the fact that I could be anywhere. Pull it out of the glove box and take a lot.

At the same time can VCDS work if you don't have a laptop handy?
Huskies2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 16:15   #35
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member
 
Lightflyer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Round Rock, Texas
Default

I use my phone and Torque and a scantool OBDII dongle for easy scanning anytime and monitoring. I also have VCDS and a less than $100 netbook running windows 10 with VCDS on it in the trunk if needed for really detailed stuff and get togethers and such.
__________________
How to post pics:http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...t=post+picture
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 20:35   #36
fastboatster
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
I use my phone and Torque and a scantool OBDII dongle for easy scanning anytime and monitoring. I also have VCDS and a less than $100 netbook running windows 10 with VCDS on it in the trunk if needed for really detailed stuff and get togethers and such.
well, looks like you are well set up)
fastboatster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 21:59   #37
fastboatster
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskies2710 View Post
Did not realize it has to have an internet connection. This could be bad if your stuck in a bad cell area. I was liking the fact that I could be anywhere. Pull it out of the glove box and take a lot.

At the same time can VCDS work if you don't have a laptop handy?
I guess not) but it's somewhat disappointing that a tool which sort of implies it's portable is actually not quite portable. I think it also doesn't cache any label data on the phone, that's why I couldn't measure timing chain phase adaptation on one A4 I was looking at which was in the area with bad reception. It did fine with the same model car I viewed 2 hours before, but cell reception was good.
fastboatster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 22:58   #38
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member
 
Lightflyer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Round Rock, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboatster View Post
well, looks like you are well set up)
Mostly because I help others in my area who need a scan or programming.
__________________
How to post pics:http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...t=post+picture
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 23:16   #39
fastboatster
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Mostly because I help others in my area who need a scan or programming.
That's very nice of you. Do you help TDI owners only or gasoline engine-powered cars get help too? Shame that there are no b8 TDI A4/A5s in the US, looks like these are the only ones which don't get 30 miles per gallon of oil.
fastboatster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 01:03   #40
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member
 
Lightflyer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Round Rock, Texas
Default

I will help anyone that needs help. I don't even charge anything either.
__________________
How to post pics:http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...t=post+picture
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2019, 18:41   #41
fastboatster
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
I will help anyone that needs help. I don't even charge anything either.
Yes, very nice. I am also trying to help other people by making some free software. Wonder why nobody seems to be interested, TDI folks are usually very savvy.
fastboatster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2019, 18:55   #42
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member
 
Lightflyer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Round Rock, Texas
Default

Less tdi's around, VW has a bad name and some don't want to be associated with it. Tools already out there, so you need to come up with something better or something that doesn't already exist or is substantially cheaper. Clue me in on what you are trying to do via PM if you want.
__________________
How to post pics:http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...t=post+picture
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2019, 01:14   #43
fastboatster
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Less tdi's around, VW has a bad name and some don't want to be associated with it. Tools already out there, so you need to come up with something better or something that doesn't already exist or is substantially cheaper. Clue me in on what you are trying to do via PM if you want.
Sure, I can PM you, but what I'm trying to do is not really a secret, I made an app as a hobby project, it's not better than everything else because I don't have all the official VW info, but a whole lot cheaper, since it's free What I'm getting out of this is first off, learning more about VW and Audi cars and second, having fun doing some phone development. That's all there is to it.
fastboatster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2019, 06:12   #44
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member
 
Lightflyer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Round Rock, Texas
Default

What does the app do though?
__________________
How to post pics:http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...t=post+picture
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2019, 11:12   #45
fastboatster
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
What does the app do though?
Oh, lol, I think I might have not even mentioned what it does - basically, all the vcds /obd11 stuff except for coding and adaptations. Still trying to figure out how to parse the responses with coding info. Adaptation s, on the other hand are straightforward. For now, I'm limited to modules talking VW's kwp2000 over tp2.0 protocol. All the communication occurs via regular elm327 adapters.
fastboatster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OBDeleven in Tampa Area jerm South Eastern USA 2 April 20th, 2019 02:44
obdeleven Canadian source? 2.2TDI Ontario 16 February 3rd, 2019 07:09
OBDeleven Millennium Falcon OBD Scanners 20 January 10th, 2019 13:54
OBDeleven - Who knows what the VCDS values translate to ?? 8v-of-fury OBD Scanners 5 January 8th, 2017 20:16
OBDeleven Bluetooth scanner for B4 IQ/timing emeraldzippy OBD Scanners 1 November 21st, 2016 15:11


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.16609 seconds with 13 queries
[Output: 129.12 Kb. compressed to 108.16 Kb. by saving 20.96 Kb. (16.23%)]