VNT upgrade, MAF clarifications.

Catalin_BN

TDI
Franken 1Z+AFN
Dear all,

I have a Audi 80 1.9 TDI, franken 1z, with vnt17, AFN ecu - 68 pin, 150 pd intake, afn injectors, ahu ip.

Few days ago I had some MAF problems, and now MAF needs replacemant.
From what I understand there is a difference between 90 HP MAF (7.18221.01) and 110 HP MAF (7.18221.51.0).1z/AHU maf reads until 850 mg/st...and AFN should read until 1250 mg/st, or something similar.
I think it's a must to hook up VCDS and see how much it reads.
Is this correct? there are different PN and 1z one is 6 pin, the other one is 5 pin.
Did someone do the conversion from 6 pin maf to 5 pin? Is it even possible?

CampanellaCoasting

TDI
2005 BEW Jetta GLS, 2004 BKW Touareg
You will need t rewrite the software to match the new MAF, not plug and play. I have seen a VR6 MAF on a 2.0 TDI and nothing but troubles. The tech got the car from another tech that couldn't figure it out. Ended up putting in a turbo, EGR, did overlay of wires, but still MAF faults. Discovered first tech put on VR6 MAF, swapped with correct part and all is good. Only modify if you need the room. Talk to a tuner and they will tell you if you need a bigger MAF. Otherwise it's just wasting time and money.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Do you have a tune already? You should be able to run a MAF-less tune. Talk to your tuner and they should be able to make that happen.

Catalin_BN

TDI
Franken 1Z+AFN
Hello all! I'm not sure that a mafless tune is the best option, at the moment the car is my daily driver. From what I read, it might be ecu's fault...not the maf. Ecu doesn't know to read higher values.