Vw t5 tuning

numbnuts

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2 golf
Hi guys
Looking to replace my current daily Passat with a vw t5, can anyone tell me about what is possible??
From what I've read not many people have pushed the engines much past 250hp, is there much difference in the engines to other tdis? How strong are the bottom ends?
Any info appreciated

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
Depends what engine size your referring too? I've been running close to 300bhp on my 2.5 5 pot

1.4TDI PD

TDI
2.5TDI V6, 3.3TDI V8,3.0TDI V6,1.9TDI PD100
Depends what engine size your referring too? I've been running close to 300bhp on my 2.5 5 pot
Hello how is your engine coping with the increased horsepower i have heard that the aluminium block is very fragile and that the cylinder head are weak as well. My dad owns a 2.5TDI multivan with 500000km and the engine is using about 1L of oil every 1000km.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
The 2.5 tdi inline5 is not The most tuneable engine in the VAG stable and will break many times before reaching 300 Bhp ! Start with a 1.9 tdi or jump to the 2.0 CR Tdi if you want a reliable power plant. Better still, buy a late t4 multivan from Europe with the 150 Bhp VE Tdi engine, it will outlast any CR or PD lump !

1.4TDI PD

TDI
The 2.5 tdi inline5 is not The most tuneable engine in the VAG stable and will break many times before reaching 300 Bhp ! Start with a 1.9 tdi or jump to the 2.0 CR Tdi if you want a reliable power plant. Better still, buy a late t4 multivan from Europe with the 150 Bhp VE Tdi engine, it will outlast any CR or PD lump !
The old 2.5TDI VE engine is one of the best tdi engines ever built.

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
Hello how is your engine coping with the increased horsepower i have heard that the aluminium block is very fragile and that the cylinder head are weak as well. My dad owns a 2.5TDI multivan with 500000km and the engine is using about 1L of oil every 1000km.
As said not the most reliable and not a lot of tuning options but it's just the sound track :) I've just got mine back together again with internal mods but just waiting for the turbo to come back from a repair and hybrid session again. The earlier engines are still producing more power but the later engines are catching up with figures now between 260-290bhp as Martin has pointed out. Heads crack, injector bores have problems and the cranks split but whats not going to give up with 450-480 ftlb of torque.

1.4TDI PD

TDI
As said not the most reliable and not a lot of tuning options but it's just the sound track :) I've just got mine back together again with internal mods but just waiting for the turbo to come back from a repair and hybrid session again. The earlier engines are still producing more power but the later engines are catching up with figures now between 260-290bhp as Martin has pointed out. Heads crack, injector bores have problems and the cranks split but whats not going to give up with 450-480 ftlb of torque.
thanks for answering.

numbnuts

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2 golf
So Probably best to go for a 1.9 or 2.0 then? Are they different to a pd 1.9 then as they are strong enough to get decent power from

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
So Probably best to go for a 1.9 or 2.0 then? Are they different to a pd 1.9 then as they are strong enough to get decent power from
Depends how much you want to spend, the 2.5 doesn't need a lot of money spent on it to get to 260-280hp/ 600-650nm but the 1.9 and 2.0 will make more power but not without spending lots of money on them.

numbnuts

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2 golf
I'd be happy with 250hp with reliability, is this possible with the 2.5?
Would there be much difference in mpg between the 1.9 and 2.5?

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
Pardon my ignorance, but is the newer fiver related to the gas engine used here in North America starting with the Mk5 cars? What's the engine code for the T5 fiver diesel?

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
Pardon my ignorance, but is the newer fiver related to the gas engine used here in North America starting with the Mk5 cars? What's the engine code for the T5 fiver diesel?
Engine codes are axd/axe and bnz/bpc similar to the touareg 2.5 5 cylinder but was transverse.
The earlier 5 pot was more reliable but now won't meet new low emmision zone limits for London.

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
Wow, the gear train looks like a nightmare to service. I had no idea VAG was building engines like that for light duty vehicles. Thanks for posting!

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
Wow, the gear train looks like a nightmare to service. I had no idea VAG was building engines like that for light duty vehicles. Thanks for posting!
Gear train is a non serviceable item as they are the life of the engine. I had the auxiliary gear shaft break on mine and had to repair it, I sourced some second hand gears as the case hardening was damaged.