Update on bought back cars fate?

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Has anyone that has done the buyback tracked their car using a site such as carfax? I had a 2012 Passat 6mt that I turned in. I'd like to see if it has been crushed yet since there is no fix. Wasnt sure if carfax would show that or not. Just curious if it's sitting in a lot or if it doesn't exist any more! Also anyone that has spied on the lots where the cars are stored have any updates??

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
https://www.vehiclehistory.com

My 2010 Jetta with 140/k was crushed in Oct, bought back in June. I wonder if the snow tires and some body damage was last few nails in the coffin or if it was just the miles.

Our 2012 Passat was bought back in Aug and shows still registered to Michigan so either records haven't been updated or someone hasn't bought it yet.

Big question with you're will be the fix for the 6MT Passat which hasn't been released yet.

Last edited:

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT

I checked the website to see if my 2014 was still around. Surprisingly it is! I'm sure it's sitting in the parking lot of the old Pontiac Superdome awaiting a date with the crusher.

:rolleyes:

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
The junkyard here mostly seems to be crushing the oldest ones so far. I will keep an eye out if things change.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup

My 2010 Jetta with 140/k was crushed in Oct, bought back in June. I wonder if the snow tires and some body damage was last few nails in the coffin or if it was just the miles.

Our 2012 Passat was bought back in Aug and shows still registered to Michigan so either records haven't been updated or someone hasn't bought it yet.

Big question with you're will be the fix for the 6MT Passat which hasn't been released yet.
I had looked my car up a little while after the buyback with this site but it didn't show any of the sales transactions so I wasn't sure how accurate it was although it does show my accident. Looking today it hasn't changed any since my buyback.

So you say that this site actually showed your car as scrapped? Also I believe the final verdict has come out on the Gen 2 Passat 6MT and there will be no fix.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=477648&page=2

Post 116

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Yeah it had a junked/scrap title update. It took 4 months for them to crush it.

Hopefully they are holding out on the 12-14 Passat 6MT, I'm sure they are playing a numbers game, ie if they get X amount to opt for the fix, they don't need to recover the cost/hassle of needing a fix for the Passat, if not then it'll be another write off.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
How do the cars in which the owners kept them and got them fixed fit into that ?

For alot of us with Gen 3's (MY 2015's) - keeping it and getting it fixed is a very viable option (and I'm in this group). I've seen others with older cars that have also opted for the fix rather than buyback.

111R

TDI
2010 Golf - Bought Back by VW
My car is still sitting in storage. 2010 Golf with 63,000 miles.

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
LOL! our wagen only has 15K miles and will be on the road (barring misfortune) for another 150,000K miles - it is the last car we'll own as long as we can keep it running...

willie
on the 'smile with every VW mile' Gulf of Mexico

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
How do the cars in which the owners kept them and got them fixed fit into that ?
They're not included. This is only the buyback numbers.

Evidently they have either fixed or bought back 83% of them. IIRC there were something like 485,000 to begin with; 83% of that is about 400,000 of them, one would assume that the difference between that and the 335,000 buybacks is the number who opted for a fix.