Stuck in Limp mode after Timing Belt Change

ChewMT

TDI
2001 Jetta 5spd
I finished my timing belt swap and found I was now in limp mode. The source of the issue was I forgot to re-connect the pipe to the turbo.

I re-connected the pipe to the turbo but I'm still in limp mode. I've checked the following things:

My timing is good as verified by Vag Com.
I tried disconnecting my battery.
Cleared all fault codes even though it said there were none.

I'm now at a loss. Hopefully someone here can help me out. Keep in mind I'm still a novice with Vag Com.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Keep checking, it's most likely you've missed something else like a vac pipe or plug maybe the maf.

If you have access to vagcom it might even have a code stored

ChewMT

TDI
2001 Jetta 5spd
I just ran a full scan for codes. The only code being thrown is for an intermittent air bag sensor.
I'll double check under the hood again.

ChewMT

TDI
2001 Jetta 5spd
I looked back under the hood again and couldn't see any other issues. Hopefully someone has an idea otherwise it's off to the dealership.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you have vagcom you could run some tests, like the maf, boost etc.

Not sure either on this one but if the fuel lines were put back the wrong way round I wonder if that could cause it?

I think it's tricky because it could be something you've done while at the belt or it could be complete coincidence and something else has failed.

jjcsnlynn

Veteran Member
TDI
02 & 03 Jetta TDI,99 Beetle TDI, 04 Chevy Duramax 2500HD 4x4
Is the timing between the blue and green line? Is the IQ set between 2 and 9? It might just feel like it's in limp mode if these are not set correctly.

ChewMT

TDI
2001 Jetta 5spd
My symptoms are; the turbo really isn't engaging. There is no power after 1800 rpm.
I'll take another look after work today. Maybe the intercooler pipe has a hole in it now or something.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left

Rdsoxx

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta tdi, 2002 silverado diesel
Turbo not engaging is pretty vague. No power after 1800 rpm is a little better.

If everything was fine before the tbelt swap - I'd focus on the IP pump. However you've already checked that with VCDS.

It's possible you damaged a vac line when raising the motor to do the tbelt. If you raise it just a few inches, the vac lines can get pinched along the rear cowl.

Get a mity-vac and verify you have vac at the supply side of the N75 valve on the firewall. If you do, I would check the actuator on the turbo to confirm it moves. You can also hook the mity vac up to it's vac line and draw a vac to confirm it's still roughly set correctly.

ChewMT

TDI
2001 Jetta 5spd
Sorry about being vague, there really isn't any better way to describe it. The power levels off, it feels like a 3 cylinder Geo towing a Uhaul.

Rdsoxx

Veteran Member
TDI
I would check the vacuum lines and actuator movement. It's simple to do.

Rdsoxx

Veteran Member
TDI
At least you got a lesson :)

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I didn't unplug it. It must have come off, maybe when I jacked up the motor.

Get some 3mm silicone and replace them, it wont fall off. I used the 3mm for the 5mm fittings too as it's stretchy but you could use 5mm if need be.

SuburbanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle TDI, and two Jetta TDI
which vac hose was it?

Great question. Having that answer would be really handy right about now....

I hear a whooshing sound as I attempt to accelerate and the car shudders and cuts speed. I'm guessing vacuum line, just have no idea where one could be disconnected on my BEW motor.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Been 39 months, OP never said. Find the vacuum hose diagram for your car. There might be a sticker under hood.

SuburbanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle TDI, and two Jetta TDI
I failed to fully clip in the hose feeding the turbo. Easily seen from beneath the car.