2006 MKV Jetta TDI - jumps from 2100 to 3500 rpm without pulling

mwmclelland15

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI - 393xxxkm
Hi there,

This past summer I deleted my EGR and put a Malone 1.5 stage tune into my Jetta.

Recently in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear the revs jump from about 2100 rpm to 3500 rpm when I accelerate more aggressively. However, it does not pull any different, it continues to pull as if I was gradually accelerating.

There is no reason that I can see for it to immediately jump 1000 or more rpm other than an issue with my clutch.

Any help or ideas would be great thanks.

Mark

2006 Jetta TDI EGR Delete Malone 1.5 Stage

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
clutch 100%
change it to a lighter flywheel and a stage 2 clutch or the most street drivable clutch you can put in it and never look back.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
I would never recommend a dual mass flywheel system on one of these, but they work. VR6/G60 single mass at minimum, south bend stage 2 endurance or similar if you want something more heavy duty.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
I've been having the same issue with my 2004 JSW with the 1.5 tune as the clutch is still the stock DMF setup (and knew full well that it could happen so not trying to blame Malone Tuning lol). If I need aggressive acceleration I'll just downshift to fourth. It's still plenty drivable right now so unless it either starts slipping on the regular I'm probably just going to wait until the next timing belt in 58k miles. I'm eying the ID Parts quiet clutch setup. SMF setup, rated for mildly tuned cars, and cheaper then the name brand competition.

Last edited:

mwmclelland15

TDI
Well, new clutch didn't fix it. Something is still causing the rev issue. On top of that it I started to get a shudder in 2nd gear when I'm slowing into it. It will get stuck at 1900 sometimes no matter the amount of throttle.

Either something with the throttle or motor...

At this point may just drive it till it dies.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
did you replace or resurface the flywheel?
You said it goes from 2100 to 3100 with out any force being applied to the wheels, this is clutch, if you put a new clutch with out resurfacing or changing the flywheel, then you would have massive sudder and crappy lock up but not sure whey your stopping at 1900? did you clear any does, have any codes? maybe limp mode from not hooking up a vacuum line right.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Mechanically, you cannot rev the engine in gear without vehicle movement unless you have a clutch engagement failure (or two destroyed cv joints or a tranny failure), so I agree, look at your flywheel again. I'd look at the clutch pedal/slave too to make sure you somehow aren't applying pressure to the clutch.

Last edited:

mwmclelland15

TDI
A new fly wheel went in it. But you mentioning the shuddering is concerning me also. In 3rd, 4th, and 5th when I accelerate at about half throttle the car will shudder. If a new flywheel is installed how is that possible?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you did not align the clutch and flywheel properly and you most likly burned the flywheel by not doing a break in procedure. you cant "abuse" a new clutch for like 500 miles, be EASY on it, low RPM shifts ONLY, and dont even let the clutch slip for more then 3 seconds, try and keep slipping to a minimal like trying to start on a hill. after 500 miles, you can let it out a bit more in slip time and about half throttle shifts at like 3000 RPM max, after 1k, you can beat on it and engage it fast or let her slip all day long.

TLDR
take it off, have it resurfaced if it does not look NEW like when you installed it, if its a bit blue*ish as in burnt but light, sand it down with 80grit then 120 grit. make sure you torque the clutch bolts down PROPERLY and to spec, and if that is not lined up just right, you got issues.