Fix for '12-'14 manual, 6sp, passats??!?!

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Does this mean New Jersey will allow un-fixed cars?

http://www.nj.gov/oag/newsreleases16/pr20160205c.html

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2017/03/vw_emissions_settlement_could_be_windfall_for_nj_p.html

Just want to get correct info. I live in NJ and our TDI is fixed.
NJ did away with a safety inspection years ago. All they do is plug into the OBD port and make sure the CEL is off. I don't know what data they are taking from the car thru the OBD port. Perhaps software and hardware versions?
I've always wanted to put a 'tap' on the OBD port and record the conversation. Using an Arduino or pi.

You're OK - DSG is NOT a manual transmission.

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
So, place yourself in VW's position for a moment. What do you do if you attempt to develop a fix for the problem (which they did), and submit it for approval (which they did), and it fails - albeit by the slimmest of margins (which it did), and you've already tried every viable technical solution (which we don't know, but we do know that they initially stated that they would re-submit something, which later turned into a withdrawal of the submission)?
What do you do? They tried ... they did not succeed?
The situation they are in now, is the only one legally allowed by the various agreements that they have been made.
They could offer to retrofit automatics into our cars at the very least. I wouldn't do it but it would be nice of them to offer.

Or offer us new 2018 Audi SQ7 TDI's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7GbMHR1exQ

Last edited:

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
They could offer to retrofit automatics into our cars at the very least. I wouldn't do it but it would be nice of them to offer.

Or offer us new 2018 Audi SQ7 TDI's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7GbMHR1exQ
I know you're being a bit sarcastic, but, why would VW offer to convert the cars to automatics when the market is full of gen-3 buy-back TDi's of all trim levels equipped with DSGs? All one has to do is sell their gen-2 manual back to VW and apply that money towards a gen-3 model. I did and came out ahead.

Just saying.

;)

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Does this mean New Jersey will allow un-fixed cars?

http://www.nj.gov/oag/newsreleases16/pr20160205c.html

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2017/03/vw_emissions_settlement_could_be_windfall_for_nj_p.html

Just want to get correct info. I live in NJ and our TDI is fixed.
NJ did away with a safety inspection years ago. All they do is plug into the OBD port and make sure the CEL is off. I don't know what data they are taking from the car thru the OBD port. Perhaps software and hardware versions?
I've always wanted to put a 'tap' on the OBD port and record the conversation. Using an Arduino or pi.

Thanks for the reply. I live in New Jersey as well and this thread caught my attention. I totally intended to have mine “fixed” but this thread has made me consider alternatives as the fix may not exist for manual transmission cars?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Bear in mind that with no fix, there's no compensation. Do nothing (i.e. keep on driving), and you get nothing. BKmetz did what I think is the best thing ... find a 2015 manual, let them buy back the old one and buy the new(er) one, with a good chance of this being a cash-flow-positive deal to be driving a new car with an 11 year or 162,000 mi warranty on the emissions equipment including the turbo and the HPFP.

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Bear in mind that with no fix, there's no compensation. Do nothing (i.e. keep on driving), and you get nothing. BKmetz did what I think is the best thing ... find a 2015 manual, let them buy back the old one and buy the new(er) one, with a good chance of this being a cash-flow-positive deal to be driving a new car with an 11 year or 162,000 mi warranty on the emissions equipment including the turbo and the HPFP.

They seem to be pretty expensive? Above 20k?

Mike123

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Manaul
Why would letter give 2 options then?

The letter clearly states you have two options:
1) Buyback
2) Pull out.

I contacted the chat line today on the portal and the teleworker stated they didn't know if we would get a buyback or not, they weren't sure - to which I stated the two options above from the letter. They said said, yes, but our system wasn't setup to provide you with a buyback on your vehicle, and we're working on it. I said, then we ARE getting a buy back eventually? They said they weren't sure.

The whole situation is completely frustrating.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
There is definitely a buyback option. The person you spoke with was clueless.

Mike123

TDI
There is definitely a buyback option. The person you spoke with was clueless.
True - and let me clarify:

I leased my car, then bought it at the end of the lease during dieselgate.
Therefore, during the buyback offer, they refused to buy mine back, even though I was an owner, because I was a leaser at the time/date dieselgate broke. So, I was signed up for the MOD + 3k.
Now, there is no MOD, so what will they do with me? That's the question.

So, I am a subset of subset. 2013 TDI Manual, lease/own.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
True - and let me clarify:

I leased my car, then bought it at the end of the lease during dieselgate.
Therefore, during the buyback offer, they refused to buy mine back, even though I was an owner, because I was a leaser at the time/date dieselgate broke. So, I was signed up for the MOD + 3k.
Now, there is no MOD, so what will they do with me? That's the question.

So, I am a subset of subset. 2013 TDI Manual, lease/own.
I believe you need to "sell" the car to a friend/family member and then go for the full restitution amount [they would be an 'eligible owner' now].

WISCONMAN

TDI
2014 Passat
No fix for 2014 tdi passat w 6 speed manual

I just got a letter from VW indicating that there will be no fix for my 2014 Passat with a manual transmission. So my only option is to sell it back to VW. My question is why is there is a fix for the 2015 model and not mine? How does the 2015 engine differ from mine? Does anyone have any real world experience as to how the fix affects performance and mileage as I am considering buying a 2015 model?

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
I have a 2015 Passat DSG, not a manual, and compared to my previous 2012 DSG Passat and my 2014 PASSAT Manual, the 2015 performs just as well as either of these. The mileage may be a tad bit lower though, but very happy with the 2015. Especially with the 11 year warranty, co won't be doing the delete or Malone tune any time soon. But if you want to do the delete kit, Rawtek sells one for the 2015 Passat anyway, not sure about other models of TDIs.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I just got a letter from VW indicating that there will be no fix for my 2014 Passat with a manual transmission. So my only option is to sell it back to VW. My question is why is there is a fix for the 2015 model and not mine? How does the 2015 engine differ from mine? Does anyone have any real world experience as to how the fix affects performance and mileage as I am considering buying a 2015 model?
False! Keep it and do nothing is also an option! It may or may not be the *best* option for you, but it is fully legal, and you cannot be prevented from registering the car.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The 2015 engine (EA288, which EPA refers to as "generation 3") is TOTALLY different from the 2012-2014 (which EPA refers to as "generation 2").

The emission control systems are built in, not added on.

The liquid-cooled intercooler is built into the intake manifold, not a hastily designed retrofit after the Golf/Jetta air-cooled design started having freezing-up issues. The flow paths are shorter, the volume contained is smaller, which means the EGR responds quicker when the engine controls request a change in EGR vs intake air blending.

The catalysts are more tightly integrated into the engine and more closely coupled, which helps to keep them hotter, which helps to keep them working better and with faster light-up after cold start. The DPF is also the SCR catalyst and that whole catalyst element is directly after the oxidizing catalyst, no piece of pipe between them.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
I purchased a fixed 2015 6MT car in November. 2500 miles in and I’m very pleased with the car and how it performs. Fuel economy is averaging around 42 on my mountainous commute from Flagstaff to Phoenix, and that is running up the mountain grades at 78 mph. I agree with Mark_J on the 11 year warranty, it was what pushed me over the edge on buying this car.

Manual transmission cars seem rare, I only found one within 500 miles of Flagstaff on Autotrader. Mine was at a VW dealer in Vegas, I snatched it up immediately. I’m not sure if that’s because the 6MT are an enthusiast’s car and owners are keeping them, or if they just didn’t make many, or both. On the good side, it does seem like manual transmission cars are more common on the east coast, I was searching for a manual A5 and there were plenty east of the Appalachians.

If I were in your shoes I’d search out a warrantied 2015 6MT and take VW’s money on your unsupported car. My 2011 Touareg is going back soon, if I can find a low mileage 2015 Touareg for under $37K (what they are paying on the 2011) with a super warranty I’ll be buying another.

Last edited:

WISCONMAN

TDI
2014 Passat
False! Keep it and do nothing is also an option! It may or may not be the *best* option for you, but it is fully legal, and you cannot be prevented from registering the car.
According to the attorney that I spoke with, cars like mine will be "blacklisted" and depending on which state you live in they will never be allowed to pass emissions testing
and subsequently will never be allowed to be registered.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
According to the attorney that I spoke with, cars like mine will be "blacklisted" and depending on which state you live in they will never be allowed to pass emissions testing
and subsequently will never be allowed to be registered.
Your attorney needs to put down the bong and do some reading . . . the consent decree required any state accepting funding from the settlement to accept registration of any affected car, fixed or not. On last check, the decree was accepted by all 50 states. And there was *zero* language centric to any unfixable cars - they are treated the same as if thete was a fix and you declined it - legal, and required to be able to be registered . . .

Oh, and the decree wording also says that the only emission testing they have to pass is the on-board OBD tests, IE not showing a MIL . . .

Last edited:

Mike123

TDI
Clue me in....

I believe you need to "sell" the car to a friend/family member and then go for the full restitution amount [they would be an 'eligible owner' now].
So you are saying if I sell this car to my wife, she would get full buy back?
I don't think so - based on the "must own before X date?" Right?

Mike123

TDI
Well isn't this interesting...

There is no "must own before this date" criteria. Surfstar is correct.
I went and created an account with my wife's name, put in my VIN, filled out the preliminary questions and just like that, the site offers her full buyback.

So - one the one hand, I have a way out. On the other, it makes me even more infuriated at how VW is treating their customers. Me, the original owner gets nothing and delayed, etc, but a new owner can pick it up and get an immediate resolution to the issue. Could they handle this any worse?

My new question is: Will my claim get updated to buyback now that there is no fix for my car, so I could sit and wait, or do I just transfer the car and get out now? They claim that we are being 'upgraded' but I simply don't trust them at this point. Is there any SNAFU that could cause my wife to not get the buyback?

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
I think these cars are a special subset and you should be able to get full buyout money even as a former lessee who bought the car. If you can wait on getting rid of the car, I'd wait a month or two. If you need to get your money out ASAP, sell to your wife and start that process. There are many cases documented on these forums where that process worked flawlessly. It won't work, however with the 3.0 liter class.

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
With this process, there is always the chance for a snafu. In your case, they could come back and say there is another outstanding claims on the car, which could delay things. I guess if I were you, I would proceed with your wife claiming the car, and call the hotline, or do the online chat, and tell them you want to cancel your initial claim. I think that would be the best odds for you to get dollars quickly. But, no promises, it's not like clockwork dealing with VW in this process.

Mike123

TDI
True enough

With this process, there is always the chance for a snafu. In your case, they could come back and say there is another outstanding claims on the car, which could delay things. I guess if I were you, I would proceed with your wife claiming the car, and call the hotline, or do the online chat, and tell them you want to cancel your initial claim. I think that would be the best odds for you to get dollars quickly. But, no promises, it's not like clockwork dealing with VW in this process.
You couldn't be more spot on regarding dealing with VW.
I think this process has been incredibly flawed and has completely turned me off the brand.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Keep the car, its what you originally wanted anyway :D Just think, yours will be a rare collector some day!

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Anybody saying keep the car must be a money hater. Sell it back for crying out loud. Take the money and buy a lower mile 2015 and pocket the other 25%.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
It's not just about money . . . For us, at least, that's way down the list . . . likely for some others as well . . . The cheapskate solution is often not the best, and myself, I think there is significant value in knowing overall vehicle history as opposed to inheriting someone else's problem child . . . even if cheaper . . .