Still AC problems... Next step?

Richy_T

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
So a quick history. Some years ago, I had the lovely foam-out-the-vent experience. A/C became weak and then, some time after, gave up completely. Diagnosis was that the compressor had given up. I ordered up a new compressor and evaporator(?), replaced, vacced and refilled. AC was weak so I went to a professional shop to get a drain and refill. Well, that was some good money just to be told I was bang on already. That was when I found out about the blend door foam issue. Well, time got away from me and now, maybe 4 years on, maybe 5, I got around to addressing it.

So with my blend doors all metal-taped up, I hit the AC and... it's still mediocre. I drove around the block (approx 2 miles) and the temperature never really gets down beyond kinda-cool. I got the manifold out and I'm seeing 260ish high side and 50ish low-side so the compressor is working (and 110ish off). I figured maybe in the 4-5 years, I'd lost some R34A so I tried adding a little more. It seemed to get a bit cooler but hard to tell (I should get the thermometer out). After 15 minutes, there was still some in the can.

My big radiator fan is out but I wouldn't have thought that would have affected things that drastically, especially when the engine was cold after sitting all night. I'm wondering if there's a possibility the AC guys left me over-full but hopefully they know what they're doing. Any ideas?

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
You need that big fan replaced/operational before you can make any calls as to what's wrong. Compressor head pressure is strongly affected by the condenser temperature.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
My big radiator fan is out but I wouldn't have thought that would have affected things that drastically, especially when the engine was cold after sitting all night. I'm wondering if there's a possibility the AC guys left me over-full but hopefully they know what they're doing. Any ideas?
Not only will that screw up your A/C performance it will kill your compressor if you don't fix it reasonably quickly due to overheating the compressor (at which point the oil cokes and then you're done.)

Richy_T

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta

Thanks guys, that was the way I was beginning to lean too. I fixed the fan before by taking it apart. Not sure if I'll try that again or replace it. The clutch is definitely engaging so at least there's a bunch of stuff I shouldn't have to troubleshoot.