Vacuum pump leak

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
UPDATE:
***Turns out I eff'd myself taking the starter solenoid off to retrieve a dropped socket. Chalk it up as a lesson learned. I reinstalled it twice thinking I had put it back the same way I had seen it when I took it off. After trying things and checking things here and there, and talking I figured it must have something to do with the starter but it had worked perfectly before I did the pump. Then I realized how easy my starter in particular is to remove. So I took the starter out, took the solenoid of and discovered I did reinstall it incorrectly. It also helped learning that with my particular engine, priming of the pump is NOT necessary. All I did was shoot myself in the foot over and over again.

Anyway, leak(s) fixed, problem(s) solved.***

Looking for my coolant leak I found this leak too! Turns out my coolant flange, which I though was the source of my coolant leak, is fine but the hoses aren't secure. Anyway, bought this seal kit for the pump (BEW)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vacuum-Pum...SOHC Turbocharged|Engine - Liter_Display:1.9L

Wondering what you guys think as I usually buy from more established oem/enthusiast-mined vendors. This seemed to be the best kit available for a BEW.

Went ahead and bought the flange as well just to be safe as it's likely to break eventually anyways.

Also, anyone know how to tell what size hose clamp I need? It's the plier type.

Last edited:

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
Seal Kit installed!

Bad news, though. I removed the battery to give myself more room (installed a new coolant flange as well) and I must have done something wrong when disconnecting or connecting it because it won't start now.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
You lost prime to the tandem pump. It is also your fuel pump. Cycle you fuel pump several times to see if your getting fuel there. Can you hear the fuel tank pump cycling? Put a charger on your battery and crank at 20 second intervals if you are getting fuel to the tandem pump. Let the starter cool a bit then do again until it cranks. Good Luck.

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
You lost prime to the tandem pump. It is also your fuel pump. Cycle you fuel pump several times to see if your getting fuel there. Can you hear the fuel tank pump cycling? Put a charger on your battery and crank at 20 second intervals if you are getting fuel to the tandem pump. Let the starter cool a bit then do again until it cranks. Good Luck.
Posted video just above. Pretty sure I hear the fuel pump working when I turn the key on. Had someone try to give me a jump as well, same results.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Have you turned the motor over by hand (with a ratchet on the crank pulley)?
Seems more likely to me that you muffed something up with the tandem pumpand that’s got your cam locked up.

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
I haven't tried that. I'll look into that. Work has been kicking my ass this week so no time for much of anything.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Nice. Yeah the starters are super easy to pull. I was wondering why you’d attemp to dismantle it on the car rather than just yanking it but there you have it.