Help! BEW tandem pump install; having issues priming

aggieengnr

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI BEW w/ 09A
can anyone tell me what is the correct way to prime this damn thing. I need it running in an hour. And pulling vacuum thru pump outlet is getting me nowhere

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Cycle the tank pump? Like 40 times with a vacuum on the exit? Crank, crank, crank.

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
Did the tandem pump fail because the lift pump failed? The tandem pump is not particularly good at lifting fuel from the tank through the filter. It's designed to provide pressure, not suction.

aggieengnr

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI BEW w/ 09A
Thanks everyone for the replies. I got it primed and running. It had been leaking for awhile at the gasket. I changed it because I was starting to get diesel in the fuel and since it was leaking quite badly on the external side, I thought it may be the cause of my diesel in fuel.
After checking the oil level today, I think I am still getting diesel in the oil :( the only thing I can think of is injectors are leaking into the crankcase past the o-rings. Mileage went from 38-39 to 32-31 mpg.
Any thoughts of something I may be overlooking? This may be the final blow that gets the car parked for good. I cannot afford injectors or the labor required to replace them ATM.
186k miles and as far as I know it has the same injectors installed that it rolled out of the factory with.