To Tune or not TO Tune (my ECU without a DSG tune)

TL A3

TDI
2012 A3
To Tune or not To Tune (my ECU without a DSG tune)

That is the question; to discuss further in this thread.

I think that tuning the new TDi's is becoming more confusing every time that I see a new product release. Can I do Stage 1, or stage 2 ECU tune without DSG software is probably the most confusing issue for me as I am not a Tune tech, or an Auto mechanic.

After reading the forums for the most part of a year, and looking at all the different tune developers products, and claims, I have not seen the DSG software (with or without ECU remaps) explained like this:

"Would you go buy a clutch for a 500 hp car, but only tell the clutch manufacturer that your making 250 hp? In order to not hit the Torque limit they must tell the ECU ( which directly reports engine torque to the DSG ECU ) to mis-represent the torque output of the motor to not hit the torque limit that is in the DSG software".

Makes sense to me, and is the #1 reason that I have decided to do this step first.

I thought that I would share this thought for those like me that are trying to make a decision to tune, or not to tune our TDi DSG cars , and also to get some thoughts from people in the know.

Last edited:

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
If I just dropped 30k on a DSG TDI and decided to tune it, I wouldn't skimp out on NOT tuning the DSG as well.

It's like people who drop 50k on a car and ***** about spending $800 on decent tires..

chummer

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 A3 TDI Premium Plus/Titanium Package
APR tunes does not need a DSG tune (per APR). I tried REVO but got rid of it because it studders some times when I punch it. I'm currently on the list on APR to get my stage1 done. Hopefully tomorrow. Don't get me wrong with the REVO, you get good power for it. It's just that I'm the lucky few that have the studder problem.

I will wait until HPA have a sale again for the DSG tune. There's a guy out there that have the APR and DSG by HPA and loving it.

JaivH

TDI
2010 A3 TDI Premium
I got the APR tune it is awesome! It keeps the torque bellow 300 ft/lbs as such there is no need for a DSG tune. It is amazing the difference it has made. I loved my car before but not I am in lust with it.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I got the APR tune it is awesome! It keeps the torque bellow 300 ft/lbs as such there is no need for a DSG tune. It is amazing the difference it has made. I loved my car before but not I am in lust with it.
DSG torque limit is around 258ftlbs with your DSG, not 300...

I dunno where you heard that from.

Read this:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=358682&page=11

Looks like the APR tune isn't very DSG friendly after all..

TL A3

TDI
2012 A3
APR tunes does not need a DSG tune (per APR). I tried REVO but got rid of it because it studders some times when I punch it. I'm currently on the list on APR to get my stage1 done. Hopefully tomorrow. Don't get me wrong with the REVO, you get good power for it. It's just that I'm the lucky few that have the studder problem.

I will wait until HPA have a sale again for the DSG tune. There's a guy out there that have the APR and DSG by HPA and loving it.
I am really liking what HPA is saying about tuning the DSG (needs to be done with TDi ECU tune) exactly because many tuned cars have been reporting experiences like yours. There are obviously some holes in tuners claims as a lot of products are now being released for the DSG (not saying these companies are bad, just saying new products sometime lead to adjustments needing to be made).

We plan on getting the HPA DSG software install done as soon as we go over 1 year on our car (Nov), so are crossing our fingers that there will be some kind of holiday sale going on (hey HPA, if your reading this ;) )