odd cam wear and pics to compare

nestea

TDI
2006 jetta
just replaced my cam after 315000km here are some pics to look at. there is lots of wear but not where i expected. have always used 5w30 castrol with 505.01 certification from a vw dealer at 10,000km oil change intervals and 80% hwy driving. It seems the bottom of the lobe maybe is causing the problem. here are the pics. Tell me what you think.

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
What did the followers look like? It wasn't quite clear in the photo but the chamfered edge looked intact. Was it?

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
The very first pic and the lobe farthest to the right is a clear indication of cam wear. Later!

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
It seems the bottom of the lobe maybe is causing the problem. here are the pics. Tell me what you think.
One of your lobes is worn like Harv pointed out, and your lifters were contacting the camshaft at all times, which caused the galling you see.

All of my cars had galled cam lobes and lifters.

eddif

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD Automatic
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=241279&page=61
post 908, 909 and 910 tell most of it.

This photo shows a follower with the coating worn out of the center. The outside of the follower still has the coating basically intact. The base circle and the nose are in contact with this worn center, but the basically flat part of the ramp is still hitting the unworn, still coated part of the follower.

Hydraulic followers always exert some portion of the oil pressure on the whole lobe, but till the coating of the follower wears off you see no real wear on the base circle. Once the underlayment of the follower is revealed the wear starts on the base circle and nose.

eddif