37 Parking Lots

TDI
tdi less
GoFaster, are you disputing that the figure quoted is NOT contained in the Official Settlement Guide and that all parties are on record as agreeing to and accepting?

I had, or perhaps still have a very sub 1000 member number on the 'old' site-the incessant posts regarding the certain destruction of ones engine should the unknowing owner EVER change the very special, super secret Factory break in oil prior to the sanctioned/recommended mileage point made alot more sense than the contention here that what is in the Settlement Agreement really isn't in the Agreement.

Man do I miss those days, I can still hear that very muted whine of the exhaust driven supercharger-always brought a smile to my face.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
GoFaster, are you disputing that the figure quoted is NOT contained in the Official Settlement Guide and that all parties are on record as agreeing to and accepting?
Not at all. It's there because the EPA and CARB agree that that is how long the factory emission control system is required to remain in compliance. In no way does that mean it breaks the moment that expires.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Come to think of it, the endless oil threads of the old site make more sense than even thinking of buying a program TDI, by far.
Yeah . . . that's why we have three in the family that have been perfect and are shopping for a fourth . . . . NOT!

Your "opinion" would appear misguided at best . . . The TDI continues to be a very viable platform that no gasser can compete with!

TDI
tdi less
So an error escaped all that proofed the settlement-it should have read that the 150,000 useful service life referenced the added emissions systems?

tadawson, you similarly have not had the final fix yet, correct?

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
It wasn't an error that escaped the proof readers of the settlement. It is the EPA and CARB agreed upon average life expectancy of the equipment. It just like when VW says your manual transmission includes "lifetime transmission fluid". They definitely have a mileage they consider to be "lifetime" and it certainly isn't 300,000+ miles. If they state that their "lifetime" fluid has a useful life of 150,000 miles, there will be some cars that need new fluid before the 150k mark and there will be some that cruise to 200k or more. They do not expect your transmission to grenade itself exactly at 150k no more, no less.

Nobody has had the final fix yet. Our confidence in these cars continuing to be worth while purchases and reliable cars is based real world experience with the first half of the fix and reasonable assumptions made based on the published information on the final fix. That the software and operations portions have already been implemented and so far so good. No reason to be concerned. We know the hardware that is to be installed for the final fix and since there is not extra equipment other than a sensor or two, I have no reason to believe there will be any noticeable negative performance or reliability issues.

At the end of he day it is a moot point. If you really want one of these cars, try to find one that hasn't been fixed. Or buy one that has had the first part done and never go back for the final fix. If you really think that you'll be barred from registering the car at some point or penalized for not fixing it, don't buy one, just know that you're wrong about that.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
So an error escaped all that proofed the settlement-it should have read that the 150,000 useful service life referenced the added emissions systems?

tadawson, you similarly have not had the final fix yet, correct?
The 2015's have had all that is due, and do not yet need the phase-2 parts refresh, but considering that is just replacing like with like and a monitoring sensor, I have zero concern. The 2013 I have not yet been bored enough to get done . . . (and that is software only, no second phase).

TDI
tdi less
tadawson, you state that the fix is merely involving replacing like with like with an additional sensor yet the language in the settlement is clear in stating that the parts will be of an -updated- nature, which by definition precludes like parts from being used.

Additionally VW is very careful to make it clear that one 'should' not expect any difference in driveability no guarantee is made and more importantly no recourse is provided should the EXPECTATION not be realized.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
No, it doesn't . . . . it says the parts will be updated, IE replaced with new parts. Nowhere in any of the documentation of the phase 2 fix are redesigned parts mentioned. It's about longevity, nothing more . . .