Votes: 9 21.4%
  • None

Votes: 16 38.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jboulukos

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
There was a thread on here about the HVAC box rattle. Under the dash above the gas pedal, there's the metal coolant tube that feeds the heater box. There's a large, boxy, metal "U" clip that holds the pipe in place.
The OP said to rotate the clip 90-180 degrees and it stopped his issue. I tried it and it somewhat worked.
Can you post a pic of this coolant tube and clip?

VodkanDiesel

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I rotated that clip 90 degrees, 180 degrees. I even put JB weld on it. And the rattle is still there. Something else is causing the rattle.

I saw some other forum post somewhere about some heater box screw that's loose, but I have no idea where it is. Haven't found it yet.

jboulukos

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
I rotated that clip 90 degrees, 180 degrees. I even put JB weld on it. And the rattle is still there. Something else is causing the rattle.
I saw some other forum post somewhere about some heater box screw that's loose, but I have no idea where it is. Haven't found it yet.

I hear you. Yeah, I layed on my back and looked under the dash to try to find something that looked obvious. Can you describe the clip and its location? I couldn't seem to find it.

I'm determined to find the noise as it seems like its right there. Snow on the ground here is delaying me from laying underneath the dash again to troubleshoot.

VodkanDiesel

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I hear you. Yeah, I layed on my back and looked under the dash to try to find something that looked obvious. Can you describe the clip and its location? I couldn't seem to find it.
I'm determined to find the noise as it seems like its right there. Snow on the ground here is delaying me from laying underneath the dash again to troubleshoot.
The metal clip that everyone is talking about is right above the gas pedal. You'll see a metal pipe (looks like aluminum) and it has this metal clip thing around it. It can be rotated. For some people that fixes the problem.

I can't take a pic right now because we just got snow here too.

ChiTownPilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI + Premium
Thanks for the info VodkanDiesel, looking forward to seeing the picture.

Does anyone have any more info on this "metal clamp" that the Service Bulletin addresses? Is it something the end user can do (perhaps after getting the parts from the dealership) or does the dealership have to do it? Thanks in advance to anyone with some insight.

masify

TDI
2015 Jetta SE w/ Conn. 6MT
I took my 2015 Jetta S 6M in for the 10K mile service and told them about the rattle when accelerating usually between 1400 and 2200 rpm in the steering column/dash area, when I got it back the service mngr told me there was a service bulletin on the rattle and a metal clamp was being pressed against plastic upon acceleration. All is well now and the cabin is quiet.
I have a rattle that happens around 2000 RPM under acceleration...do you know the # for the service bulletin?

I have 10k miles on car, and the 2000 RPM rattle showed up around 1k miles. I also have a low RPM rattle from behind the center console that may be this tube/clip business referred to above...

I go in Monday for 10k sevice, and will see what they will do about the rattles...

Last edited:

IAmTodd

TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6MT
I had the 2000rpm rattle on mine. It started around 4,000 miles and I took it in around 7,000 miles. They performed the above mentioned TSB but did not fix the problem. They pulled me in and said they've done as much as they can without the possibility of charging me as rattles were only covered for the first 6 months of ownership. At that time I had had the car for 6 months and 16 days. I politely said I don't want the car back until it was fixed.

It was left with them for a week. In that week, according to the service notes, the radio and gauge cluster were removed to look for the rattle. They test drove with the radio removed and a stethoscope and narrowed it down to the heater pipe that is mentioned in the TSB. They readjusted the clamp once again and the noise was gone. They left a huge number of fingerprints all over my dash but I was still happy the rattle was gone.

I have had the passenger front door card rattle since the night I drove the car home (7 miles on the odometer). The panel was removed to have the windows tinted, rattle still persisted. When I had the dash rattle addressed they pulled the door card and stated all the clips looked good and blamed it on the window tinter. I will address this myself in the spring once I start driving the car again.

Otherwise rattle free and loving it.

jboulukos

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
Thanks for the info VodkanDiesel, looking forward to seeing the picture.
Does anyone have any more info on this "metal clamp" that the Service Bulletin addresses? Is it something the end user can do (perhaps after getting the parts from the dealership) or does the dealership have to do it? Thanks in advance to anyone with some insight.
ChiTownPilot,
I rotated the "clip" today and it completely fixed the rattling experienced when pressing the gas pedal. The clip i rotated was not "above the gas pedal." I was previously looking on the firewall side but its not there. The one i rotated is to the right of where your foot is when its placed on the gas pedal. Its along the right wall, not the firewall. Look for the metal piping that goes into the wall. There is a metal piece/clip just as the pipe enters the right wall. It's round-like and is within grasp as you are lying underneath. Use a flashlight or cell phone light under there. Its higher than the gas pedal and closer to the seat, under the dash, along the right wall (opposite side of the door). Please write me back when you find it or if my description is inadequate.

masify

TDI
2015 Jetta SE w/ Conn. 6MT
The dealer rotated my clip and that seems to have eliminated the low rpm/speed rattle behind the center of the dash. They found a loose hvac hose connection behind the left driver's vent and tightened it....I think it's better but Ive still heard the resonance at certain times and always near 2kRPM

rfh0928

TDI
2015 VW Jetta SE
Well, this goes back to January when I first brought her in to get her checked out because I kept hearing a rattle/buzzing coming from my dash/steering column, so they said my dash was crooked and not properly put in so i needed to get a new one, so they "replaced" that so, then I kept hearing a rattle, so I said I will just wait until I bring her in for her oil 20k service, so when I went to set that up they said they had a part waiting for me and that it was my dash that they said they "replaced"..so fast forward they said it wasn't my dash that was making the rattle noise that it was my turbo...but why and what caused my turbo to be replaced I have no clue. But i am currently BACK at the dealership waiting for her while they check for a leak...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajjl2015

TDI
2015 Jetta S 6M
I have a rattle that happens around 2000 RPM under acceleration...do you know the # for the service bulletin?

I have 10k miles on car, and the 2000 RPM rattle showed up around 1k miles. I also have a low RPM rattle from behind the center console that may be this tube/clip business referred to above...

I go in Monday for 10k sevice, and will see what they will do about the rattles...
Sorry masify I just saw this post, and no I didn't get the # for the service bulletin (my dealers computers were down when I picked my car up so I didn't get a printout). Although now at around 4K miles later my rattle is starting to reappear.:mad:

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
Brought the car in a while ago to activate my goodwill package and mentioned that there was a rattle behind the dash at low rpms. Dealer said there is a technical bulletin 80-15-01 that mentions a missing screw in between heater core pipes. They had to order it though, so it's not some ordinary screw. Any how, it worked - no more rattle

Last edited:

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
Bump to possibly help folks experiencing a dash rattle on other threads below. Please see my experience directly above.

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
Mine rattles somewhere in the dash, at low rpms when cold, I'm at 19000 kms, I think its due to higher engine vibration during warm up period. Wife's Golf wagon way more smoother, absolutely no rattling, way better built. Does'nt bother me that much, I'm hoping it'll go away once the engine is broken in properly. The reason I say that is when I push it to higher rpms between the gears [Italian tune up] the rattling goes away. Hope this helps.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Mine rattles somewhere in the dash, at low rpms when cold, I'm at 19000 kms, I think its due to higher engine vibration during warm up period. Wife's Golf wagon way more smoother, absolutely no rattling, way better built. Does'nt bother me that much, I'm hoping it'll go away once the engine is broken in properly. The reason I say that is when I push it to higher rpms between the gears [Italian tune up] the rattling goes away. Hope this helps.
It wont go away....I've had and still have it. Had it fixed...came back....had it fixed again, still came back after a few weeks. Hopefully you are luckier with your dealership.

IAmTodd

TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6MT
It wont go away....I've had and still have it. Had it fixed...came back....had it fixed again, still came back after a few weeks. Hopefully you are luckier with your dealership.
Sadly I think you're right. I had mine fixed last November, stored the car for the winter, and now the rattle is back. Not nearly as bad as it was in the fall but I hear it every now and then. I'm due for my one year service next month so that will be on the fix it list. :(

And I still have a clicking door panel that the dealer wouldn't touch and I can't track down. :mad:

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
This has been driving me absolutely insane and when I googled it awhile back I couldn't find anything. I just ecstatically ran outside and shoved my hand under the hood and the bolt is missing. I was starting to come to terms with driving with the radio cranked.

carnotgas

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Fixed, Thank You

I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I found the heater box screw to be loose and it would not tighten. The replacement screw part WHT004564 has a larger diameter and fit tightly. The clamp inside the car was contacting the heater box which I rotated. The rattle is gone. Without the information in this thread it might have been impossible to ever find the cause since it only happened under driving conditions. THANKS TO THE TDI CLUB AND IT'S MEMBERS!

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
At about 38k, my Jetta started rattling near the pedals. All the usual solutions have come up empty. Getting used to it... kinda reminds me of my Mk3 now that I think about it. :)

jerm

TDI
'15 Jetta SEL
VW tsb 80-15-01 fixed mine (VW PN # WHT004564). Put in a new screw and all is well. Alternatively, you can stuff a small piece of folded hand towel between the two lines where they are visible near the gas pedal and it works the same. Just wanted to update since this is still obviously a problem (it just happened to me).