Mk6 Jetta: Hard Start / No Start - Intercooler icing discussion in here!

If you have experienced intercooler icing, select from the following options...

• Total voters

30_Yr_Dsl_Veteran

banned Ric Woodruff alias account and troll
TDI
2009 Jetta
I don't see how it is physically possible for an intercooler to "freeze", because high velocity air is ALWAYS going thru it, swooshing away any water droplets that may accumulate. :confused::confused::confused:

Jettagain

TDI
2012 Jetta (Prem/Nav/DSG)
I let it sit until this morning and i dropped the hose, few drops of water dripped out....very little. Put it back together and fired it up, no issue.
I will bring it in and push the issue. There wasn't any sludge as i have read about prior.

tdirook

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Just checking...

So quick update: Service rep called me today and told me they started the car today and it ran fine so he wants to let it sit overnight and check it in the morning. Now he claims that it was rough when he started it because it hasn't been started in 2 days. You gotta be kidding me! For someone who claims to be knowledgable on the intercooler issue... He doesn't seem to know anything about how it happens. I have complete faith that it will start without issue tomorrow morning and I will be called to pick up my car without anything being done. Might be time to find another dealership for future service.
ChiTownPilot...I am from Portage. Just wondering if you are dealing with Team in M'Ville? Have a MkVI Jetta TDI as well. Haven't had this IC issue...yet. Never really liked Team. Anyway, thanks!

ChiTownPilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI + Premium
Yes Team was the dealership... I won't be taking my car there ever again. I called the dealership I purchased the car from (Autobarn) and they are incredibly more helpful and will be investigating the problem (pulling IC hose) when I bring it in for the first oil change. The service advisor at Autobarn stated that they have seen numerous vehicles with the IC issue which confirms for me that Team VW is full of crap that they have never encountered it before.

tdirook

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Thanks

Thanks. I usually go to Vorderman in Ft. Wayne (family there...) but will have to check out your place soon. Team always seemed...smarmyAnyway, good luck and stay warm!

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
There is a whole rash of IC threads ain't there? :eek:

You were saying something about mergeing them? Isn't the trouble date order? It's almost too much information! :rolleyes:

I didn't choose either poll choice because all I've had is a bit of rough idling a handfull of times.....in the last 1000 days or so...

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I have 7 threads ready to merge into this one. You're right that the problem I'm facing is that everything will go in date order, so conversations will appear a bit jumbled. I'm inclined to just do it and let the thread sort itself out moving forward, but I'm open to suggestions on how to handle this. If I do end up merging them, I'll edit the first post of the thread with the pertinent info that's currently in post 1.

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
I suggested we create a stick for this issue MONTHS ago. Finally someone listened :p

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Since nobody else is weighing in, I'm going to go ahead and move the threads.

mac5155

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
I had my mechanic pull my IC hose off today while doing my 70k mile oil change. He said water came out. I hadn't experienced a hard start, but I guess I'll just empty it out every oil change. What are the odds that 10k miles is short enough of an interval? I hadn't done this yet and have put 34k miles on the car (got it with 36k)

mac5155

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
Guess I should add to this... should I try and fight VWoA to get the updated IC installed? Even @ 70k miles. Would it hurt? or would my words fall on deaf ears?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It's worth a try. The worst they can do is say no.

mac5155

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
Are the kits available for purchase? My mechanic said he could probably get it installed for $200 + the cost of the kit.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yes, they're somewhere in the $900 range if I remember correctly.

pete's_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Jetta sedan Black on Black 6M, VCDS on hand
Possible IC icing issue

Well looks like i might be a victim of that dreded IC icing. Today has beed around 40*+ in NY and my car has been sitting since wednesday outside. Went to start up the car and look like it wanted to start but it stumbled right away - it did it 3-4 times then started and had rough idle for 10 sec that cleared up and its all good now. Called the dealer and servide manager said he will look in to the tsb and call me back.
I guess ill have them look in to that. What a pita.

Paulman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (buyback at 109,000miles) 2014 Jetta TDI 59,000miles
This seems like such an obvious question that it may be a dumb question:

Has anyone brought in their MK6 Jetta TDI in to the dealer, showed them the TSB for the intercooler and asked that the replacement be done under warranty?

I have only 12500 miles on a 2013 and am curious...

It seems unconscionable that we have to wait and see if the engine hydrolocks before they will consider fixing it. I mean, if a car doesn't start the first time, isn't it reasonable that average Joe would try to start it 2-3 times before calling the tow truck? And, after trying to start it a few times, then the engine can be toast?

Paul

VeeDubTDI

TDI
If you're under warranty, they will likely cover it. If you are out of warranty, there is a chance that they will cover it, but not a guarantee.

Your car must display symptoms of the problem. They won't install the new one just because you ask for it.

mac5155

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
Which is appalling to me. You must wait until your car sucks water in the engine before they will put on the new part. Makes perfect sense.

Paulman

Veteran Member
TDI
So, yes, I may be beating a dead horse on this one.

Is there a consensus around here that VW doesn't issue a recall on the IC issue because that would be too expensive? They prefer to fix things on a case-by-case basis. If you're in warranty, you're golden. Out of warranty, and you have to rely on their generosity and good will?

bergePanzer

TDI
2012 Jetta
fwiw, I had experienced something akin to this last winter at the start of it. I complained and had it to the dealer, and got the bull**** "we can't replicate the issue. seems to start fine" excuse answer and thus no IC fix/replace.

fast forward to today I go to leave work and its about 38 degrees F compared to the 20 degree F weather I drove in. first start attempt it stumbles and stalls. second continuous crank for 15 seconds. third crank it eventually fired, and could be audibly heard misfiring (ping) even up to 1400 or so RPM for a good minute and in general running like ****.

it seemed to level out enough that I ended up driving away, but holy **** what a rough start... I checked the oil level for ****s when I got home and it was fine... wonder what the piston heads look like...
:(

VeeDubTDI

TDI
If you're in warranty, you should have it towed to the dealer instead of forcing the water through the engine.

pete's_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
well mine is going in on tuesday for TSB. glad that when i explained to the dealer what happen they just ordered the parts and will install it.

pete's_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
had TSB done, picked up the car yesterday, everything seems good....

Last edited:

6DOF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Jetta 6MT Premium, 2012 TDI Jetta DSG Premium
Bought our 2011 6MT last summer from CarMax to replace our 03 ALH and this is our first winter with the car. Had 2 very rough starts last month which I assumed were fuel related. Never heard of the inter cooler problem till I started looking on here. First incident was last month when my son tried to start it. This was after a very cold drive home from work and I parked it in a warm garage. Car has 44K miles on it now so I am out of luck for warranty. Our 2012 DSG we have had for two winters now with no incidents yet. It is also at 39K miles.

So now we have 2 relatively new ticking time bombs in the driveway. That is just *^#@ing great! I am not amused. What have I got myself into here?

Anyone know of an available aftermarket solution here? Can you buy the upgraded inter cooler retrofit kit? Here I was expecting to get 250K miles of worry free driving out of these two cars and I find myself hesitant to turn the key when it is in icing conditions. This whole situation is unacceptable.

Why won't VW step up and recall these inter coolers?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Don't assume that just because you're out of warranty, you're out of luck. VW has been "good will" installing a number of kits on cars that are out of warranty.

And yes, you can pay for the kit yourself if they refuse to pay.

mac5155

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
Because the intercooler isnt a foolproof fix.. however, it would be nice of them to start installing the updated intercoolers on new cars in production. I have 72k on my odometer. I have had one hard start but I think it was unrelated to this issue (just a diesel being a diesel). I empty the intercooler pipe at each oil change and run an air dam cover on the lower grille.

Paulman

Veteran Member
TDI
Guys, how much do you think a Guru would charge to inspect the intercooler?

Second question: Is this too obsessive an idea?

Paul