Engine cover

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Engine cover or sound damper (belly pan)? Engine cover helps (a little) with engine warm up, and more so with dampening noise. That is, until all the foam falls apart.

The sound damper keeps road salt, snow, rain, that rock that fell off the trunk in front of you, etc. from ending up inside the engine bay. Also helps a lot with dampening engine noise and directing hot air from the radiator to the rear of the engine. The problems with road spray on the engine are mainly; belt slip when wet or packed with snow, and rust from salts and extra moisture in general.

Now the rock could still do damage to the oil pan through the sound damper, but won't be in the engine bay. For that you should look at a Panzer Plate.

But the short of it - your car won't break today, but may have issues down the road.

Jason

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I will add that after the foam falls off, you can replace it with Dynimat. It is easy to install and seem to last longer than the OEM style foam.

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Annnd, back from the dead.

I wanted to ask if anybody has an opinion about the top engine cover on DPF equipped models. Is there any insulating value? Protection to the hoses, injectors, wires, etc? I took the engine cover off my 13' Passat and I notice absolutely zero difference to noise. Outside and inside the car. I do however like to check for leaks and issues each time I check the oil. Thinking about just leaving the cover off unless there are real benefits. I don't see it keeping the top of the engine any cleaner or dust free. It was still pretty dirty. The engine cover was squeaky clean though! :)

On my old ALH, the engine cover made a huge difference to noise.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
There is a lot more foam on the new engine covers. Helps keep heat in, more in colder climates, to get engine up to and keep it at operating temperature faster.

Jason

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Once the foam started falling apart on my MK5 upper whine cover I threw it in the shed. Once the mk6 cover starts falling apart it will also go in the shed. I didn't notice a single bit of difference with/without the cover on the MK5.

j-bone

TDI
No more TDlIes
The cover makes a nice home for mice. Shortly after I got my car I noticed evidence of mice . took it off hoping to get a little more noise, It's still in the garage .

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Nearly two years later, I have a long-term review on removing the cover on my 2015... and... don't. Leave it on. I spent 30 minutes removing dust, sand, and road debris from injector, glow plug, and cylinder pressure sensor holes. I honestly have no idea how it gets in there, the engine bay seems relatively sealed off, unless sand and such can easily make it through a condenser, intercooler, and radiator and still have enough velocity to land on top of the engine.

I reinstalled mine and will report back in another 2 years

r4ndys1ngh

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta TDI
Nearly two years later, I have a long-term review on removing the cover on my 2015... and... don't. Leave it on. I spent 30 minutes removing dust, sand, and road debris from injector, glow plug, and cylinder pressure sensor holes. I honestly have no idea how it gets in there, the engine bay seems relatively sealed off, unless sand and such can easily make it through a condenser, intercooler, and radiator and still have enough velocity to land on top of the engine.

I reinstalled mine and will report back in another 2 years

i have kept mine off for the 3 years now, no road debris or anything by the injectors and glow plugs. i have noticed more debris in the battery cover.

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
More anecdotal evidence. I've noticed some salty water from the winter makes it's way under the hood and into the engine compartment. Once or twice a year I'll clean the engine bay, which includes soap/water/brush on the engine cover. The cover in this case, had quite a bit of salt on it, which I know would be on the metal engine components. Probably not a big deal, but if you want to keep the engine bits looking new, it's worth keeping the cover installed. That way you can admire the plastic cover instead of the engine bits. :D