Need help...A/C compressor not kicking on...

koolhandtdi

Tried recharging system, pressure dropped again...noticed that compressor not kicking on, no engine lag. Fuse is good...If worse comes to worst, where is the best place to get compressor at reasonable cost.

BrentB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 99 1/2, Black
I just had the wifes car in and it turns out there was a bad seal on the low side valve. I am not sure if low coolant will stop the compressor from kicking in though.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
There is a fuse on top of the battery that is associated with the compressor comming on. Check vortex website for a good price on a compressor.

koolhandtdi

I just hate to take it to a shop...most don't even lube ya' up, they just stick it to ya'. Does the service manual have troubleshooting techniques for A/C? If so, might have to buy one. Thanks to all in advance.

Luke

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
Yes there are some troubleshooting guidelines in the manual, but some of them will require equipment you might not have like a gauge set. You can get by this by getting one of those refill kits with a gauge, but beyond that you will need a professional to deal with it.

Kennedy

Veteran Member
If there's not enough R-134A in the system, the compressor will not kick on. I've had a nagging leak at my expansion valve that i think I finally fixed.

If your having a coolant leak, fix it first, then recharge the system. If the compressor doesn't kick on then, you have a problem elsewhere.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If the system pressure dropped after recharging it, you have a leak! You have to find and fix the leak before going any further. Unless you have the specialized tools for leak-testing, evacuating, and recharging A/C systems, this job is best left to a professional mechanic who has the required equipment. If you are in Canada, you have no choice, because home servicing of A/C systems is illegal.