2015 Jetta TDI Incandescent to LED

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
Has anyone with regular incandescent exterior bulbs replaced such with LED bulbs? Sylvania makes LED bulbs that are direct substitutes for the stock OEM bulbs. I've been thinking of swapping out my rear brake and rear turn signal bulbs for better visibility for others. Anyone with any experience with these?

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI - sold at 350k,2009 TDI -sold back to VW 9/29/17 225k, 2015 TDI SE
I've only replaced my drls and front turn signals so far. Will be going led for the rear soon, but have heard they will trip the bulb out error and hyper flash. But the hyper flash will only be in your cluster, the bulbs flash at the normal rate. Good luck, post how you make out.

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
Thanks. Did replacing the front turn signals with LED cause hyper-flash in your case? If not, why not? My understanding is that because LED pull less current, such trips the relay and puts it into hyper-flash.

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes they caused hyper flash. The system detects less resistance in the light circuit, making it think there's a bulb out. There are load resistors that duplicate the resistance of a normal bulb, this prevents the bulb out/hyper flash message. I won't wire them into my car, as they get very hot. I don't need any issues with damage to my wiring harness from heat, or possibly even a fire.

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
The good/expensive LEDs have resistors built in to keep the current where it needs to be. Though, I have yet to see a retrofit bulb for rear exterior that wasn't obviously a retrofit. You know, where the beam is bright in the middle, but doesn't fill out the rest of the reflector lens. Seems like a great way to lose in a rear-end collision case.

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
The good/expensive LEDs have resistors built in to keep the current where it needs to be. Though, I have yet to see a retrofit bulb for rear exterior that wasn't obviously a retrofit. You know, where the beam is bright in the middle, but doesn't fill out the rest of the reflector lens. Seems like a great way to lose in a rear-end collision case.
Can you please post a link to front led turn signals that don't trip bulb out error for the 15 Jetta? I spent $60 for the pair of mine that we're supposed to be non error, but obviously they're not. Even deautokey says theirs need resistors. My 09 never had this issue. I appreciate, will buy them today if they work! Thanks

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
I guess my comments are anecdotal as I have no personal experience with LED retrofit. Just passing a long the comments from my local Euro club. To be honest, I'm shocked that even the Chinese companies are making LED retrofit bulbs without resistors. The fast flash is well known and probably impacts most cars. For example, the LED retrofit lenses used on flatbeds and semi trucks have resistors built. You can see them on the board through the plastic.

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
what LED bulb brand are folks going with? I pulled the tail assembly and at least on mine, they only hold incandescent/incandescent base shape. There is no slot for an LED.

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
what LED bulb brand are folks going with? I pulled the tail assembly and at least on mine, they only hold incandescent/incandescent base shape. There is no slot for an LED.
Go to the classifieds for vendors on this forum . You will find deautokey advertising. They have any LED bulbs you will want for your VW. I just found they do have LED front turn signals with the correct resistors installed. Something is weird about the 15 TDI, my LEDs from my 09 Jetta will set a bulb out error (never did on my 09). So I ordered them Friday and received them Monday. Installed and no more error or hyperflash. And I had tried other more expensive brands,that were supposed to be error free for the tdi, but weren't. Good luck, they have discount codes on the home page as well!

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
Can you please post a link to front led turn signals that don't trip bulb out error for the 15 Jetta? I spent $60 for the pair of mine that we're supposed to be non error, but obviously they're not. Even deautokey says theirs need resistors. My 09 never had this issue. I appreciate, will buy them today if they work! Thanks
Go to the classifieds for vendors on this forum . You will find deautokey advertising. They have any LED bulbs you will want for your VW. I just found they do have LED front turn signals with the correct resistors installed. Something is weird about the 15 TDI, my LEDs from my 09 Jetta will set a bulb out error (never did on my 09). So I ordered them Friday and received them Monday. Installed and no more error or hyperflash. And I had tried other more expensive brands,that were supposed to be error free for the tdi, but weren't. Good luck, they have discount codes on the home page as well!
What bulb model / color / and location (is it brake/tail or just turns) We have something new that will work so we are unsure when you were told they would not work but we feel we have something for you, if you can give us more info we will help.

Thank you

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
What bulb model / color / and location (is it brake/tail or just turns) We have something new that will work so we are unsure when you were told they would not work but we feel we have something for you, if you can give us more info we will help.
Thank you
You quoted me correcting myself, that you did have the correct LEDs. I bought them from you, work great! Thanks

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Since December, has anyone successfully done an exterior bulb retrofit? I saw a Chevy Cavalier that couldn't have been newer than 2001 with LED rears. Looked like a retrofit bulb, it was super bright and looked like it belonged in there. I wonder if new product is on the market.

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
They exist. I saw them on philipsautolighting.

In the past month, on my 15JettaTDI, I did all of the exterior rears in LED, except for the rear blinker bulbs. While the LED turn signal bulbs that I tried worked properly on the exterior, it caused a fast blinking inside on the console. (I think deAutoLED bulbs do not have this issue) I may revisit the rear blinkers at some point.

Last edited: