Trailer hitch Power

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Got my 2015 TDI SEL and have the hitch on order. On my 2012 I simply picked up power as needed by plugging into the rear 12V outlet. This time, however, I'm looking to do a cleaner install.

So which is easier/better to tap into the rear 12V outlet, or run a new line?

If I run a new line I would like to include the capacity for at least 20 amps without excessive voltage drop, so probably a 10 awg line. As such which would be the easiest/cleanest pickup point for power and what would be the best/easiest routing to the trunk area?

Spravecek

TDI
2013 jetta TDI Premium 2014 premium tdi
I installed a curt hitch and wiring harness and powered converter. Had to run a new line from the battery to the trunk for the best hook up. My curt part numbers from amazon curt 56146 is used to tap into your rear lights and trailer. Then to power that unit I used the curt 55151 power kit from curt as well. Takes time but turned out well

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
I have a 2015 TDI with DSG transmission and see in owner manual one is not to tow anything with a DSG as could cause over heating of the transmission which sucks, which I am sure would kill the warranty on it for sure.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
I installed a curt hitch and wiring harness and powered converter. Had to run a new line from the battery to the trunk for the best hook up. My curt part numbers from amazon curt 56146 is used to tap into your rear lights and trailer. Then to power that unit I used the curt 55151 power kit from curt as well. Takes time but turned out well
Where did you tap in for power and where did you route the power line??

CarlosF

TDI
2010 GSW TDI DSG Blue Graphite
Where did you tap in for power and where did you route the power line??
I'll be having an Ecohitch and wiring installed this Winter. I had planned on doing it all myself and found a few relevant posts here on the forum. I'm sure that I read of someone running 10 gauge wire from the battery to the rear through an existing channel... along the bottom of the door frame?

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
They pick it up at the front fuse box, I'm looking for a cleaner install, adding the necessary fuse contact within the fuse box, and would prefer a 10awg line fused at 30 amps. Then add a mini distribution fuse box in the trunk. This would allow for easy future expansion/additions.

I would prefer to use the interior fuse box and a full size ATC/ATO fuse on the right side. Biggest issue seems to be how to get the fuse panel out, and best way to route the lead.

Any suggestions, advice, aid on how to get the fuse panel out enough to access the back to add a circuit lead would be a great help.

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
I have a 2015 TDI with DSG transmission and see in owner manual one is not to tow anything with a DSG as could cause over heating of the transmission which sucks, which I am sure would kill the warranty on it for sure.
The DSG-equipped TDIs in Europe are rated for 2,000kg (4,400lbs). You're correct that VWoA would absolutely love to void your warranty for any issues that arise. However, the DSG absolutely can handle the load. The only overheating that would happen is when there's a lot of stop and go, as that's when the clutch friction is at its highest. On the highway or cruising, there would be zero heat.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
The DSG-equipped TDIs in Europe are rated for 2,000kg (4,400lbs). You're correct that VWoA would absolutely love to void your warranty for any issues that arise. However, the DSG absolutely can handle the load. The only overheating that would happen is when there's a lot of stop and go, as that's when the clutch friction is at its highest. On the highway or cruising, there would be zero heat.
The other issue would be shifting on hills and the load on the engine while doing so.

So take your time on both the uphills and the downhills while towing heavy loads in these cars. You may be able to pull it, but controlling the mass is going to depend on you, the driver, to do. If you get in a hurry, you may end up arriving very late.

Last edited:

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like it's going to be picked off the interior fuse box. Right side is set up for ATC/ATO fuses and I see fuses to 30 amps, so should be set up to handle the current. Want to add a wire to the back but if I can't figure out how to gain access I may resort to an add-a-fuse until I can. The power can be picked up as the terminal is already there, and the add-a-fuse would give me access to the output of the fuse.

Still tryinig to figure out how to remove the interior fuse box in a '15 enough to get to the back side. That's going to take some pushing, pulling, and unscrewing until I figure it out, unless someone has a link they care to share.

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Looks like it's going to be picked off the interior fuse box. Right side is set up for ATC/ATO fuses and I see fuses to 30 amps, so should be set up to handle the current. Want to add a wire to the back but if I can't figure out how to gain access I may resort to an add-a-fuse until I can. The power can be picked up as the terminal is already there, and the add-a-fuse would give me access to the output of the fuse.
I did exactly that. There's a blank space where a fuse would normally go on models with certain features. Checked the wiring diagrams and I see the circuit is designed for a 30amp fuse and the wiring is rated to carry 40amps. I used a male blade and tapped right into where the fuse would normally go. I like this because I can enable/disable the light controller with ease when I'm not using it. I thought about using a cigarette lighter plug and just plugging it into the back when in use, storing it in the trunk when not in use. Honestly, the trim along the driver's side is easy to remove and easy to reinstall.