Heads Up California Passat TDI owners

Gary Barnhill

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE SR & Nav
From the VW packet received today:

CA regulations require that this campaign be completed prior to the time you renew your vehicle registration. Therefore, please make sure that this campaign is completed prior to the renewal of your vehicle registration, and that you furnish proof of completion to the DMV blah blah blah.

Heretofore; I thought I could keep my 2013 Passat until around Oct 2018. As my CA registration is due Aug 22, 2017, it now appears I must complete the buyback by Aug 22, 2017 or accept a fix, which I'm not interested in.

Does anyone know if the buyback vehicle must be currently registered?? ie if I wait a couple of months past Aug 22 without renewing CA registration will VW deny the buyback because the car is not currently registered??

Thanks in advance if you have the answer.

jpltdi

Veteran Member
I *think* that recall (24CX - Inlet Air Box Housing Snow Flap Replacement) is separate from the "fix" (23U4 - Emissions Modification). So you can get the recall done and still elect the buyback (just make sure they only do the recall, and not the "fix" too). VW just happened to send both notifications in one envelope, to confuse everybody.

Last edited:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
California, along with the other 44 states that took money from the settlement, has agreed not to deny registration to cars based on the "defeat device" (i.e., to cars that haven't had the fix done). It'd be worth checking with class counsel on this one--info@vwclasscounsel.com.

No, the car doesn't have to be registered at the time of buyback.

Gary Barnhill

Veteran Member
TDI
Many thanks jpltdi and DanB36.

You have both illuminated important distinctions in the "rules".

Important to me because several replacement cars will not be available by my Aug 22, 2017 CA registration renewal date.

Replacement Cars I'm considering and their availability:

2018 Camry arrives Aug 2017; emotional styling, 8 speed, 10" HUD, improved mileage and all the newest tech whistles and bells. Toyota ALWAYS reliable even first year intro whereas VW takes 3 years to get it right. Initial discounts unlikely.

2018 Passat arrives XXX 2017: new engine expected to deliver 29 mpg combined. Decent level of W&B. But then I'd be sick if 2019 is all new Passat.

2019 Arteon arr Nov 2018: Pricey. Hatch somewhat like a wagon for outsized cargo. Could be ideal car but it's like "somewhere over the rainbow".

2018 Benz E400 wagon: My perfect vehicle would be a Passat TDI wagon as sold in Europe. I desperately want a wagon but am gagging on E400 Premium Gas 20 mpg combined (and price). Benz reliability is rated poor by Consumer Reports. Benz dining out on their reputation? W&B reported to work about half the time. Need to add $17,000 in options to get all W&B.

Due to approaching age 82 I haven't got time or patience to wait 2-3 years for the "new stuff" to arrive. I want a pony and I want it NOW.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Gary Barnhill,

Have you checked out the upcoming 2018 Buick Regal (Opel Insignia in Germany and Vauxhall Insignia in Great Britain)? There's a four-door hatchback ("Sportback") similar to the Arteon and a wagon similar to the Audi Allroad. They're supposed to be available this fall in the US. The Audi A5 Sportback also has the same 4-door hatch layout as the Arteon. There's pricing info on the Audi website, so I assume it's available soon.

tonestar

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf TDI (Canadian Import) 5 Speed, 2015 Golf TDI SE DSG, 2015 Jetta TDI SE (connectivity) DSG
Many thanks jpltdi and DanB36.
You have both illuminated important distinctions in the "rules".
Important to me because several replacement cars will not be available by my Aug 22, 2017 CA registration renewal date.
Replacement Cars I'm considering and their availability:
2018 Camry arrives Aug 2017; emotional styling, 8 speed, 10" HUD, improved mileage and all the newest tech whistles and bells. Toyota ALWAYS reliable even first year intro whereas VW takes 3 years to get it right. Initial discounts unlikely.
2018 Passat arrives XXX 2017: new engine expected to deliver 29 mpg combined. Decent level of W&B. But then I'd be sick if 2019 is all new Passat.
2019 Arteon arr Nov 2018: Pricey. Hatch somewhat like a wagon for outsized cargo. Could be ideal car but it's like "somewhere over the rainbow".
2018 Benz E400 wagon: My perfect vehicle would be a Passat TDI wagon as sold in Europe. I desperately want a wagon but am gagging on E400 Premium Gas 20 mpg combined (and price). Benz reliability is rated poor by Consumer Reports. Benz dining out on their reputation? W&B reported to work about half the time. Need to add $17,000 in options to get all W&B.
Due to approaching age 82 I haven't got time or patience to wait 2-3 years for the "new stuff" to arrive. I want a pony and I want it NOW.
You should reconsider the list of cars you're looking, 8 speed autos and new engines? Good luck!

hhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Tdi SEL premium
My registration is due next month. I just got my renewal in the mail.
Packet from VW? Denial of renewal by CA??
I haven't gotten anything like this....
I'm not doing my buyback till next year. I'm not having problem renewing registration.
Are you sure this isnt the first software from last year.
VW's first try at fixing in CA, BEFORE the lawsuit?
Or i guess i should be getting a new packet from VW in the mail?

Last edited:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
No, you should be getting nothing . . . CA specifically declined the right to deny registration as a part of the settlement, as folks have been saying ad nauseum . . . *other* recalls stand alone, however . . .

Gary Barnhill

Veteran Member
TDI
No, you should be getting nothing . . . CA specifically declined the right to deny registration as a part of the settlement, as folks have been saying ad nauseum . . . *other* recalls stand alone, however . . .
I received the following in the mail Saturday. I live in CA.

Date: May 2017
Subject: Emissions Recall 24CX
2012-2014 Passat 2.0L TDI Gen 2

What is the issue? answer provided
What will we do? answer provided
What should you do? answer provided

Important Information for CA Vehicle Owners-California Regulations: CA requires that this campaign be completed prior to the time you renew your vehicle registration.

ANOTHER LETTER ENCLOSED IN THE SAME ENVELOPE
Date May 2017
Subject: EPA & CARB Approved Emissions Modification 2012-2014 MY 2.0: TDI VW Passat
Emissions Recall 23U4
Excerpts from six pages:
"....we are informing you that an emissions modification is now available....."
What is the issue: answer provided
What will we do as part of this recall: answer provided
Nothing said about mandatory modification fix before the next CA registration due.

THEREFORE; WHOEVER ABOVE MADE THE DISTINCTION BETWEEN 24CX AND 23U4 WINS THE GRAND PRIZE.

A booklet also enclosed. Page 10: paraphase; if you modified your vehicle; VW may not be able to perform the emissions modification.

I strongly recommend you read page ten: CUSTOMER NOTICES

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Yeah, but there may be more than one. The fix discussed here ad-nauseum, is protected fron CA registration shenanigans . . . others are not.