Changing alternator pulley in car with free autozone loaner tool possible?

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
Hi,

I'm planning on changing out what I think is a solid pulley on my alternator to a clutched one when I do my timing belt change. The clutched pulley is apparently much easier on the tensioner/belt/AC/power steering since it vibrates less

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKMf-_Yl-AI

I know that Metalnerd makes a tool ($30), but Autozone has loaner tools you can rent for free.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...nator-decoupler-pulley-service-kit/409625_0_0

However, it looks like the T50 is going to be too long. The Metalnerd version is much shorter.

http://www.metalnerd.com/catalog/product/2644937fbe324184a25e586d88a2e97d

Do you guys think I can lower or raise the engine to get enough clearance to use the free Autozone tool?

I plan on using the harbor freight engine support bar and also a jack under the oil pan to make raising and lower easier.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-support-bar-96524.html

Thanks!

Alex

Last edited:

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
MAYBE. It's pretty tight in there.

It's not that hard to get the alternator out. Disconnect the battery (BOTH negative AND positive leads), drop the A/C compressor (DO NOT disconnect the refrigerant lines) and support it on something (milk crate works fine), then disconnect and pull the alternator out between the bracket and radiator fan. It WILL CLEAR. The Bentley says basically "remove front clip, etc" but that's BS - as long as it's not a Beetle (it may not clear on those; I hear they're tighter and I haven't done one of them) it will come out between the engine bracket and radiator shroud. You just have to rotate it the right way.

Hint: Removal is MUCH easier for both the A/C compressor and alternator if you loosen the bolts for each about 2-3 turns then put a screwdriver or other solid item on the bolt head and whack the screwdriver or extension with a hammer (moderately -- you don't need to whale on it.) This will retract the sleeves that lock them in place and then the compressor and alternator will drop right out.

I can R&R an alternator in the ALH cars in under an hour.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
There was a thread that talked about people modifying tools to do this, I don't know if you can get the snout of the alternator low enough.

+1 for just removing it and put it on a table and do it with the AutoZone tools. Removing the passenger side fan makes a little more room to get it out, it's not a bad job since you'll already have everything else off anyway.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
True -- removing the pax side fan does gain clearance; that's just the four spider screws and disconnecting the electrical connector for it.

Prairie Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta, 04 Jetta
Nice tip Genesis...

Alex - you might find it easier to remove the alt to get that pulley out. I've done a couple and each time ended up pulling it because the fastener was so seized on there I couldn't get the leverage while in the car, at least without fear of damaging something. Removing the fan helps but certainly not required.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Genesis provided you with some solid advice. I'd add one thing, as Prairie Chicken suggested, I always pull the right fan assembly. It doesn't take that much longer to remove it and that opens up for much more work space. Place piece of card board on the radiator where the fan was in case you let the Alt spin out of your hands.

Although a challenge, it will be way more easier to tackle removing the pulley on a work bench, preferably in a Vise. Make sure the tools are well seated before you begin them...

Last edited:

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
I bought the tools from Amazon, and trimmed the inner tool's length to be able to do on car. Worked well, quite cheap.