01m leak from torque converter, someone with experience?

Tdipickup

Veteran Member
TDI
alh caddy, ahu caddy, 03 tdi beetle, 07 gti
Transmission was leaking at bottom of housing, pulled it out, and appeared to come from torque converter seal. Replaced seal, yet continues to leak, even with no pressure. Loses about half a court after each startup, suspect it's running out of converter to the ground. Has 220,000 on it, wondering what to try/inspect next since new seal didn't fix it. I know these transmissions are terrible, but don't be telling me put in a 5 speed please.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Did you replace the converter, as well as the seal? It's possible there may be a burr on the shaft, or it's just worn down enough so that the seal isn't sealing properly. With that many miles, I probably would have replaced the converter, as well, as long as it was out of the car.

Tdipickup

Veteran Member
TDI
alh caddy, ahu caddy, 03 tdi beetle, 07 gti
There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the sealing surface. Have another converter I'll try.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Sounds like the converter has a pinhole leak. Does it leak running?

Nothing wrong with an O1M.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I assume you're joking?
No, I am not. Everyone around here is so anti 01M. Mines got 360K and going strong.

Quit whining about it, do some maintenance and enjoy it.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
No, I am not. Everyone around here is so anti 01M. Mines got 360K and going strong.

Quit whining about it, do some maintenance and enjoy it.
I did maintain mine, and it still died at about 240,000 miles. Had the manual swapped in for about the same cost as the rebuild quotes, and haven't looked back. Now have about 20,000 miles on the swap and it's been the best upgrade I've done to my car.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did maintain mine, and it still died at about 240,000 miles. Had the manual swapped in for about the same cost as the rebuild quotes, and haven't looked back. Now have about 20,000 miles on the swap and it's been the best upgrade I've done to my car.

Stuff happens. Its an ok trans, some like, some don't, I have no complaints with it. Accept its limits and it will be fine. Get on with life, other things to worry about. :cool:

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
240k on an automatic is a great and full lifespan. It is a mechanical device, nothing lasts forever. If you don't do any maintenance, then yeah, they burn up faster. But if you keep them cool and change the fluid when you are supposed to (40k) then they are just as functional as any other transmission.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
240k on an automatic is a great and full lifespan. It is a mechanical device, nothing lasts forever. If you don't do any maintenance, then yeah, they burn up faster. But if you keep them cool and change the fluid when you are supposed to (40k) then they are just as functional as any other transmission.
Agreed. Auto's have a limited life span due to the way they work. :p

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Says someone who seems to also be driving an auto, with far more than the "average" mileage mentioned on this group. Seems you would be a little more positive about them.

Just because most of the members here like to clutch and play with their joysticks while in traffic, doesn't mean that a manual will last "forever" either. It is a mechanical device and parts wear. A quarter-million miles is an impressive amount for any transmission. The manual transmissions also tend to get actually serviced once in a while, where VW in their lack of any wisdom says that the auto is a "sealed" unit. Complete bullshipt, but we already know that.

The real crime is that by the time an intelligent person gets to it and actually wants to change the fluid, the transmission has probably been overheated dozens of times (the temps skyrocket in stop-and-go traffic with the stock not-a-cooler) and the fluid has been ruined tens of thousands of miles earlier.

Keep them cooler, they last much longer.

cubster

TDI
2002 jetta tdi 1.9
**** yea i just got 480,400 k on mine and it just deid but a new rebuit one that cracked is casing so parrts lol i ****ing love this car man dosent help im a diesel kinda guy lol

lucasbc

TDI
none but a vw golf 2004
my tranny is leaking too

Hello folks I have a golf 2004 with a transmission leak. Some pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/geoox2g7yg8zsgq/AACNePsSrr3HwIqnvZjQUpWYa?dl=0 (comment in one picture)

So I'm looking at these products: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017C5YWNQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2P985UG1YLI2I&th=1

in its comments one says "Only works on rubber/EPDM type seals, and actually dissolves plastic/teflon/delrintype seals."

Should I use it with this tranny?

also I see fluid around the drive axle shaft, and I found this product:
https://www.idparts.com/drive-axle-output-shaft-seal-set-speed-vw-p-7494.html
Golf TDI MkIV (A4 chassis) w/ BEW Engine (2004-2006)

But I don't know if the car I have is a bew engine since by the vin I read:
2004 Volkswagen Golf
GL - L4 - 2.0L 1984cc 121ci GAS MFI type BEV - 2 valve SOHC

I'm in the process of replacing the solenoid cable harness diagnosed by the dealer. The rpm will remain above normal because it is not shifting. a bad pressure solenoid valve #6 was replaced with no success.
Thanks for any help

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I would not recommend the reseal in a bottle.
Back in the 70's and 80's I saw several cars that owners indicated they used a couple bottles of it and the trans leaked from the front and rear seals worse as time went on.

Back to the OP, there should be a bushing inside the trans that the converter goes into.
If it's worn to much the trans can leak through front seal.