Thermostat

GlennAR

My 2ooo Jet TDI w/51,ooo miles on it seems to need a new thermostat........

All of a sudden my Jet hardly warms up now. When it does warm up a tad, the temp gage will to
go down at the speed increases and lay just off the bottom stop at highway speeds

Dose any one know if:

1. Driving the car continually at this low operating temperature will damage the power plant in
any way? I suspect it will decrease my MPGs.

2. I am a somewhat mechanically inclined (I once built and successfully few a kit helicopter, see
http://www.usbusiness.com/helicopter/ch7photo.htm for a few fotos if U like). Is changing the
thermostat a similar job as it is in Detroit cars?

2. Believe it or not, my dealer did NOT have a thermostat to sell me. Since he is 8o mile round
trip, I am somewhat reluctant to give him a second shot at my business (even thoe he said he
would order me one). Dose anyone know of a good VW after market supplier for parts. I tried a
Google search but was only frustrated. I also want to buy mud guards n a bra for my wife's New
2oo3 Golf TDI (http://www.usbusiness.com/helicopter/103002B.jpg ifin U wanna C her n her
now Golf).

Thank boys n girls, Glenn Ryerson

brian

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (sold)
vwparts.com or dieselgeek.com for parts.

The engine is designed to run at an ideal temperature range. When your car runs too cold, oil does not get hot enough, etc and wear rates INCREASE substantially!

You can drive the car, but don't put it off longer than you have to. I would not go on any long trips until you get it fixed.

If I recall the t-stat is in the lower rad hose near the radiator, easy to replace. Get some VW/Pentosin G12 coolant to top off with. My choice is to stay away from all others including Dexcool.

-brian

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
How do you know it's the thermostat...by the gauge? The coolant temp sensors have been known to fail and most are fairly cheap and easy to install.

GlennAR

Brian n Velvet Foot,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

I was also wondering if it is the temp. sensor, but I forgot to mention that the cabin heat is
relatively cold compared to when the gage says the temp is at 190. So this leads me to believe it is the TS sticking open.

Thanks again for your help, I will change TS as soon as I can get the part n O ring.

Glennnnnnnnn