P2031 error code- help please

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
The fun with this car just continues. Quick errand last night and I was treated with the check engine light on and the glow plug light flashing. Pulled codes, it was; P2031 Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor: Bank 1 Sensor 2.
I need to know where this sensor is located and what is the correct part number.
I have checked several parts sites and have come up with several different part numbers. I know this info is out there, but my internet searches have not found it.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
If you look at this PDF (the rawtek exhaust installation directions) it shows you where temp sensor 2 is on page 8... it should be underneath the car, after the DPF. Sensor 1 is right after the turbo.
Hmmm.... This is conflicting with the VW Self Study Guide I found that shows this sensor is before the DPF!!!???
The dealer is a 2 hr drive away and last time they told me on the phone an item was covered under warranty... when I got there they denied warranty coverage and hit me with a $600 bill. If I can change a $100 sensor rather than making a 4 hr round trip and dealing with those clowns, I would prefer to do it myself.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
Hmmm.... This is conflicting with the VW Self Study Guide I found that shows this sensor is before the DPF!!!???
The dealer is a 2 hr drive away and last time they told me on the phone an item was covered under warranty... when I got there they denied warranty coverage and hit me with a $600 bill. If I can change a $100 sensor rather than making a 4 hr round trip and dealing with those clowns, I would prefer to do it myself.

You may very well be correct.

That guide should also give you an idea of where the post turbo temp sensor is as well.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
After researching in the VW self study guide, the erWin VW manual and other online forums. I concluded that Bank 1 Sensor 2 is the first temp sensor after the turbo and is physically located at the beginning of the DPF. I verified that by unplugging the sensor and measuring the resistance. The bad sensor read open, a good sensor read about 200 ohms. After searching various part places I ordered what I thought was the correct part based on the description in the listing. But I found that was a mistake. Yes the part fit in the DPF, but the electrical connector was brown and the original one was orange. The electrical connector did not match up. Back online to the parts places, I found what looked to be the correct part, with the correct connector color. It was listed as the temp sensor AFTER the DPF. This was true for several of the parts places. I ordered that one and it did come with an orange connector and it fit and worked. Bottom line of my rambling, when ordering a exhaust gas temp sensor, make sure the connector color is the same as what came out of the car. Not the position that is noted in the part listing.