Warranty after Fix

Big Red Ram

TDI
013 Jetta Sportwagen
Wonder if anyone can set me straight on the VW emissions warranty post fix. I bought the car from a non VW dealer about a year ago and it had already been "fixed'. Now I am considering tuning it but wonder if it will void any warranty or do I even have a warranty?? Long story short is there any sort of transferable warranty since I am not the original owner post-fix?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The emissions warranty goes with the car not the owner. Whether you have any left depends on the mileage/years total and/or since the fix. If you have warranty left the tune will void most things with the engine and emissions. Whether they enforce it or not remains to be seen. They are able to tell if the car has been flashed or not. This is done through the cloud by the VW home office and not the dealer or techs there. Once they connect it, it "phones home". If they get a TD1 flag you can pretty much kiss the warranty you have left goodbye. If you value the warranty leave the car alone. If you don't care then do what you want. There are posts here that explain what the warranty covers and for how long in years and miles. Search for that and see what you have left, if any. Then decide how important it is to you. Then decide what you want to do. Since dieselgate they have become more strict on this in my opinion.

Big Red Ram

TDI
013 Jetta Sportwagen
I found this from VW which makes it sound like its only the original purchaser after the fix which would have been the dealership.
My 2013 JSW has 65,000 miles so it sounds like it would be covered if the dealer doesn't count.

4 years and 3 months or 51,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from date and mileage of the Emissions Modification, except for vehicles offered for resale, in which case, from the date and mileage of the first resale transaction after the modification to the first person who in good faith purchases the vehicle for purposes other than resale

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I found this from VW which makes it sound like its only the original purchaser after the fix which would have been the dealership.
My 2013 JSW has 65,000 miles so it sounds like it would be covered if the dealer doesn't count.

4 years and 3 months or 51,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from date and mileage of the Emissions Modification, except for vehicles offered for resale, in which case, from the date and mileage of the first resale transaction after the modification to the first person who in good faith purchases the vehicle for purposes other than resale
in my booklet it says for automatic trans its 4 yr 6 month or 48000 miles from emissions modification or vehicle purchase or 10 year months 120k from original inservice date

for manual 4yr 6 mo or 54k; 10 yr 6 mo or 126k miles

original inservice only applies to the person the vehicle was originally purchased or leased to.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
warranty covers entire exhaust after treatment system including all sensors and actuators.
entire fuel system, from tank to injectors. supply and return
egr system.
air intake pipe, intercooler, intercooler temp sensor, and air-mass sensor. turbo, including damper.
glow plugs.
the obd system- any malfunctions detected by the obd system.
auto trans, including mechatronics; 2009 only.
engine long block warranty. the engine assembly.

So basically to covers everything between the turbo inlet to the cat. i have a 2 page parts list

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Search on this site for the link to the legal document that governs this. That will be the gospel. The court ordered it and defined exactly the terms.

Big Red Ram

TDI
013 Jetta Sportwagen
I confirmed the extended emissions warranty is fully transferrable.
Also found that modifications only affect warranty if the modification in question affects that part to be warrantied. So my guess is a stage 2 tune would void any emissions warranty and deletes definitely void any extended warranty. Looks like my TDI stays stock a while longer!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I told you the warranty goes with the car not the owner. A tune of any kind would more than likely void any warranty on anything to do with the engine, fuel supply, emissions and drive train. They will probably claim it voids it on more than that and it will be up to you to fight them over it. With things the way they are today after dieselgate I would bet you would find no attorney would take your case and you would probably lose if you could. As said before if the warranty matters to you leave the car alone. Oh and keep the services up on it as well. that will also void things. I suspect VW would love to void as many as they can to get these things off their hands, warranty wise.