DPF - hollow out instead of purchasing down pipe?

Jaxon

Hi all

I searched but couldn't find much for answers.

Has anyone removed their factory downpipe, gutted out the DPF and cat, then put it back on? With a custom tune of course.

I'm hoping to not spend $700 on a down pipe. I don't really care what it looks like, my car has 301K on it and is starting to have emissions issues.

I have access to all the tools to cut it open and weld it back up. Thoughts?

Car is a 2012 Sportwagen TDI DSG.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Talk with your tuner or the tuners you're considered going with. But it should be no problem.

As for the actual fabrication, I'd give it a shot if I was in your shoes. For me, it'd be a chance to sharpen my skills so I can be less of a grinder and paint makes me the welder I ain't kind of guy.

durbo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 260k........ 2000 golf 2 door 100k.
You’re not gonna find people documenting it, because of EPA fears. Here in Las Vegas, you still have to pass a visual inspection. Most truck guys swap their exhaust back to stock for smog, and then put the aftermarket exhaust back on. Not feasible for us with the amount of work it takes to swap dpf’s. All I’m gonna say is some hollowed out a dpf’s have a terrible drone. Think about fabbing a down pipe with a dpf shell.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The DPF on that car is a complex affair.

It would not be easy to cut it open, hollow it out, and weld it back up, and get all the mounting tabs squarely back in place where they need to be. But I am sure it *could* be done. Just that it is not a simple cylindrical "can" like a lot of other ones are.

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
The resonating drone that huge empty can would make would be terrible. Spend the extra dough and do it right (assuming you aren't in a place where the check for those types of things)

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
The resonating drone that huge empty can would make would be terrible. Spend the extra dough and do it right (assuming you aren't in a place where the check for those types of things)
Or run the pipe in the (fiberglass filled) shell;)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I can not confirm, nor deny the fact that I’ve seen this done. All I’m saying is it’s a perfect shell for a homemade turbo muffler...
Not really. Did you see the photo oilhammer posted? That thing is an octopus. I'd get a downpipe or a different car that doesn't require mission impossible mods to be pleasant to own.

durbo

Veteran Member
TDI
Not really. Did you see the photo oilhammer posted? That thing is an octopus. I'd get a downpipe or a different car that doesn't require mission impossible mods to be pleasant to own.
I’ve seen em, and I’ve had my hands on them. Once you get the sensors and wires out of the way, it’s a lot less intimidating. Don’t cut it completely in half. Cut a window in it, do your business, and weld the window back in. It takes way more time to remove it from the car, than it does to cut it apart and make it race ready. Don’t forget that there’s a catalyst on top of the actual dpf inside. This is how you build a cheap exhaust for a non road compliant track car (Disclaimer). This shouldn’t be done on any vehicle registered to drive on the roads, because it violates federal law. Proceed at your own risk....

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Ha. I think we all know how well suited these cars are for off road and/or track use. I think it's rather undignified to pretend folks don't intend to operate them on the road.

durbo

Veteran Member
TDI
Ha. I think we all know how well suited these cars are for off road and/or track use. I think it's rather undignified to pretend folks don't intend to operate them on the road.
I agree with you, but just because we know how well these cars work without all the spaghetti emissions, doesn’t mean other entities agree with us. I guarantee at least one agency (maybe even 2or 3) already started monitoring this thread as soon as the O.P. posted the original title (even though he’s in Canada). I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but I’ve done enough contract work for companies tied to the federal government to know that people get paid to collect data like this. Big brother may not be watching directly, but make no mistake, someone is in charge of a group of people to make graphs and pie charts about this subject for government agencies to have access to. This is how they’re able to make stricter laws, and go after particular companies facilitating illegal activity (removing federally mandated emissions).

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi

Just courious but empty cans make drone ?

I thought resonators ( basically empty cans) are designed to eliminate or reduce drone ( but then again maybe have to be a certain size to do that?).

Thanks

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Hi
I thought resonators ( basically empty cans) are designed to eliminate or reduce drone ( but then again maybe have to be a certain size to do that?).
Thanks
they are a specific size and shape to reduce harmonic resonance. certain ones work better for an application while others wouldnt.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
if you can cut open the DPF and seal it back up why not just harvest the fittings and slap them on your own home made pipe? sure it'll take a little longer but gotta be still cheaper than an aftermarket pipe.

Others have gutted second cat from TSI downpipes while keeping the first cat and had good success.

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
Hi
Thanks
Resonators usually have a perforated tube run through packed fiberglass to dull or augment the sound. A hollow chamber will almost certainly serve to amplify drone.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Ive had 2 "aftermarket" dpf's, first was a very nice affair from a gentleman in Burlington, VT (performance diesel, no longer there) had all the sensors in place and retained the egr, cost a fair bit of lunch money installed and tuned, $2500.. second car got a buzken exhaust in my driveway, far cheaper, and new tune only required one or two sensors IIRC. think I was into that whole exhaust and tune for the retail on a dpf alone.. You can also retain the stock cat back if you want to save a few hundred dollars and make installation even quicker.. I highly recommend getting the flashzilla, the option to tune at will via obd2 port is really worth the extra $200, especially if you need to put the emissions stuff back on to drive on the street..