2micron Return Fuel Filter

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Was the production stopped? If so, why? I thought Andrew was selling brackets and hoses. You're free to choose any filter you like.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Was the production stopped? If so, why? I thought Andrew was selling brackets and hoses. You're free to choose any filter you like.
Production has stopped (at least temporarily) but he does have some kits in stock. He was selling the kits with or without the filter. You are correct that you can choose any brand of filter you want, but it must have 8mm (3/8") hose connections and it must physically fit in the space to mount and have the correct diameter for his bracket. Any filter that meets these requirements will work. The filters he uses are (were) actually the stock fuel filters from a 1984-1989 VW Diesel engine (without the pre-heat port). This page lists MANY filters that should work: http://www.findpart.org/part/kol-50013181
Some of these filters are easier to find than others. The Mann and Bosch filters are still pretty easy to find in the US.

I cannot speak for 2micron, but if enough people PM him and tell him that they are aware of the possible limitations of this filter kit and want to buy it anyway - he might relent and sell the ones he has in stock. Whether or not he has any more manufactured will depend on whether or not he can come up with a better filter or a better idea. Only time will tell about this.

Have Fun!

Don

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
As I already told 2micron myself, once VW stops paying for the HPFP failures, the need and want for the filter will skyrocket.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Production has stopped (at least temporarily) but he does have some kits in stock. He was selling the kits with or without the filter. You are correct that you can choose any brand of filter you want, but it must have 8mm (3/8") hose connections and it must physically fit in the space to mount and have the correct diameter for his bracket. Any filter that meets these requirements will work. The filters he uses are (were) actually the stock fuel filters from a 1984-1989 VW Diesel engine (without the pre-heat port). This page lists MANY filters that should work: http://www.findpart.org/part/kol-50013181
Some of these filters are easier to find than others. The Mann and Bosch filters are still pretty easy to find in the US.

I cannot speak for 2micron, but if enough people PM him and tell him that they are aware of the possible limitations of this filter kit and want to buy it anyway - he might relent and sell the ones he has in stock. Whether or not he has any more manufactured will depend on whether or not he can come up with a better filter or a better idea. Only time will tell about this.

Have Fun!

Don
Don,
Thanks for the info but I know the whole story. What I was trying to say that Andrew is not and should not be responsible for any HPFP failures, small particles being not filtered, etc because he just sells the bracket. He could also supply the filter. The customer is who's responsible for choosing filter element, filtration level, etc.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Updated Return Filter Design

I got an email and PM today from 2micron today and he has a prototype for a new "Contain Flow" Return Filter design that can use either a one or two micron spin-on filter. He gave me permission to post info about his progress.
Here is a pic: (click on the pic for a bigger image)

The filters used are designed for service station fuel pumps. They are either:

Cim Tek 70025 1 micron Microglass filter
Or
Cim Tek 70057 2 micron Microglass filter

These filters are available from a variety of sources for under $25.00

Andrew has been flow testing these filters for the last week and their flow rates and pressure ratings far exceed our needs. Also the new filters are spin-on, so the bracket will not have to be loosened from the stock fuel filter to replace the return filter. It looks like a pretty good solution for those who thought the original 5 micron filters were not good enough. I do not know when he will have this new design ready to sell/ship but he will post in his vendor thread when they are available for sale.

Have Fun!

Don

Racerman27410

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 6MT
I got an email and PM today from 2micron today and he has a prototype for a new "Contain Flow" Return Filter design that can use either a one or two micron spin-on filter. He gave me permission to post info about his progress.
Here is a pic: (click on the pic for a bigger image)

The filters used are designed for service station fuel pumps. They are either:

Cim Tek 70025 1 micron Microglass filter
Or
Cim Tek 70057 2 micron Microglass filter

These filters are available from a variety of sources for under $25.00

Andrew has been flow testing these filters for the last week and their flow rates and pressure ratings far exceed our needs. Also the new filters are spin-on, so the bracket will not have to be loosened from the stock fuel filter to replace the return filter. It looks like a pretty good solution for those who thought the original 5 micron filters were not good enough. I do not know when he will have this new design ready to sell/ship but he will post in his vendor thread when they are available for sale.

Have Fun!

Don

WOo hooo!

Cant keep a good man down...... Andrew's logic is sound and i am definitely going to be getting this setup.

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
Ya, VW needs to come knocking on his door...and thanks for sticking with us Andrew... ;)

Last edited:

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
Here's another shot of the bracket. Andrew is working on a gauge to help show if there is a pressure change that would help indicate time for a filter change. The filter is readily available and cost is about $23, here's a link.

Last edited:

wrpercival

TDI
2012 Jetta TDi Wagon
This is great.

If Andrew will also manufacture a Bobblehead of himself, I'll replace the Saint Christopher figurine on my dashboard with it!

N2UADTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
I wouldn't worry too much about the micron rating of the filter. I had a $2 metal can disposable filter in the same place as this one we are discussing here. I also had a $2 clear plastic filter inline with the return line back to the tank. After the HPFP failed the metal can filter was heavy and full of very fine "dust". It's my belief that these filters saved VW from replacing the majority of the fuel system. They only replaced the HPFP.

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
I wouldn't worry too much about the micron rating of the filter. I had a $2 metal can disposable filter in the same place as this one we are discussing here. I also had a $2 clear plastic filter inline with the return line back to the tank. After the HPFP failed the metal can filter was heavy and full of very fine "dust". It's my belief that these filters saved VW from replacing the majority of the fuel system. They only replaced the HPFP.
You are the first person I am aware of to report having an HPFP failure with some sort of return fuel filtration in place. I am sure Andrew (2micron) would be very interested in getting details of your set up and experience.

What filter were you using? Could you give more detail on what was found in the filter? Did they have to flush your fuel tank? If so, did they comment on getting any metal contaminants out of the tank and lines? Finally, did your OEM filter have any metal shavings/contaminants after the failure?

How many miles have you logged on your vehicle since the HPFP repair? Did the dealer give you any problems for having a modification to the fuel system when you went in for (I assume) warranty repair?

N2UADTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
Sorry don't know what the filter was except it was the cheapest metal can hose barb filter I could buy at Autozone. The intent was to filter out the large metal chunks I've seen in pics from HPFP failure. I wanted a filter that would let small particles thru and let the OEM filter do it's job. I took the filter off before the car was towed to the dealer. I was more afraid they'd throw it out and lose my evidence than anything else. Although I did mention it to them and the fuel sample I took. They seemed uninterested. VW customer service offered to pay for the repair. I just assumed I was paying since the car was out of warranty. The filter can was opened and I could see nothing on the media. No big chunks. But before I cut it open I had trouble blowing thru it. So it was somewhat plugged up with seemingly fine debris. Before the car went to the dealer I took a 1 qt sample of fuel from the return hose into a clear canning jar. After sitting on the shelf for a few weeks (I forgot about it), there was a very thin layer of sediment on the bottom of the jar. Non magnetic but looked like aluminum powder. Was this from the pump bore or dirty fuel?
I put the filter on about 10k or so miles before the failure. I checked the filter every 1k miles or so by dumping it out and blowing thru it. It was OK. But then we went on vacation to the midwest. I checked the filter the day before we left. It was the day after we got back the pump failed.
I think I did 1 OEM filter change after I put the return line filter in. There were no metal shavings on the OEM filter at that filter change. But in prior filter changes there were shavings. I was changing the OEM filter at 10k intervals most of the time just so I could see what was in there.
We've put 30k miles on the car since. So far so good. But I am diluting the fuel with about 1-2% biodiesel. And I have not put the filter back on. Although the filter going back to the tank is still in place. I check it with every filter change and it's good.
When I got the car back from the dealer I pulled the fuel sender/pump from the tank and did find shiny metal debris. I called VW cust care and let them know. And mentioned the contaminants in the fuel sample again. They said they were aware of these things and I should not worry about them.
When the car was at the dealership I asked them to at least drain and refill the tank with clean fuel. They did not do that to my knowledge.
I took a separate roller vane fuel pump with a clear filter on the inlet and sucked what ever debris I could see out of the tank. There were probably about 50 or so flakes I took out of the tank. I'm assuming these either came from the hpfp before I put the filter on or they came from dirty fuel.
After the failure I pulled the metering valve on the hpfp. It's filter screen was completely clean. I looked at it under a 5x magnifier to be sure.
It's all a mystery to me since VW refused to give me the old hpfp.
In any case, it's a wonderful car and I hope that the new czech hpfp lasts longer than the first or I'll be asking 2micron for one of those other pumps he's trying out. Like other cars we've had this one will be with us for the long term.

FloridaJohn

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG - sold to VW
Here's another shot of the bracket. Andrew is working on a gauge to help show if there is a pressure change that would help indicate time for a filter change. The filter is readily available and cost is about $23, here's a link.
How about something more like this for a clogging indicator. I you get one with the correct color range, you won't have to remember what pressure to change the element.

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
The pic is of the prototype. I am not sure what type of gauge 2micron will ultimately use. I suspect the gauge in the pic is being used for sizing. Andrew may very well end up using something along the lines of what you posted. We'll just have to wait and find out.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
Why not make the 2 micron fuel filter kit a pre-filter instead of a post pump filter? I know the initial purpose was to prevent shavings from being returned to the fuel tank. However a quality 2 micron filter would provide for a improved filter rate on the first pass as well as during cold starts prior to thermo valve opening up.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
Wonder if a magnetic metal detecting switch could be installed. After x amount of metal is detached the switch would turn on and that could be run to an idiot light.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wonder if a magnetic metal detecting switch could be installed. After x amount of metal is detached the switch would turn on and that could be run to an idiot light.
Unfortunately, this would only be partially successful. Many (most?) of the metal bits are aluminum and they would happily pass right past the magnet and do nothing (except cause damage downstream).

Have Fun!

Don

53 willys

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI~LOVE/HATE~
Why not make the 2 micron fuel filter kit a pre-filter instead of a post pump filter? I know the initial purpose was to prevent shavings from being returned to the fuel tank. However a quality 2 micron filter would provide for a improved filter rate on the first pass as well as during cold starts prior to thermo valve opening up.
Andrew has a 2 micron filter pre-stock filter.....this version is to save the rest of the fuel system from collateral damage of the HPFP failure....

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
My goal would be to prevents failure with cleaner fuel prior to the fuel pump. Ultimately it would be nice to have 1 micron post oem fuel filter and 5 micron post pump. Just not room for three filters.....

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My goal would be to prevents failure with cleaner fuel prior to the fuel pump.
The only problem with this approach is that we really do not have any reason to think that the HPFP failures are caused by dirty fuel. Most believe that the primary causes (aside from pump design) are poor fuel lubricity and/or water or gasoline contamination. None of these causes would be caught by even a 1 micron filter. Better filtration of all of the fuel going to the pump would not hurt, but it probably would not help very much either.

Have Fun!

Don

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would agree- But would still prefer to have the cleanest fuel possible.
No argument here. The only possible problem with finer filters is the possibility of them getting clogged. A finer filter will (or at least should) trap more stuff and therefore perhaps clog up faster. How often you would have to change the filter would change and without more knowledge of the particles (and how many) it would trap, I do not know how and how much it would effect filter change frequency. This is the one of the reasons why 2micron's return filter will probably have the gauge on it - to measure the pressure drop through the filter. Choice of filter (like most other choices) is based on a series of compromises. With filters it's filtration vs. life, with tires it's handling (traction) vs. treadwear, etc.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. The 1 and 2 micron filters that are going to be used in 2micron's new design are filters designed to be used on the fuel pumps at filling stations. Therefore, it is very possible that the fuel you pump into your car has already gone through a 1 or 2 micron filter before you buy it.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
The cat2 was good for well beyond 40k miles in the ALH tdi setup. These fuel filters were designed for many hours of use in commercial settings. They have a long service life in a 40mpg car.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Feast your eyes folks. This is the final version of 2micron's "Contain Flow" return fuel filter unit. It uses either a 1 or 2 micron spin on filter. (Click on pic for a larger image) This picture also shows the latest version of his Pure Flow HPFP modification.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited: