Hill Holder

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
On my 2500 mile mark with this joy of a wagon. Am I imagining it or is there a "Hill Holder" feature in this car? Seems to hold for a second then releases it?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I mean no offense by this, but you would be amazed how many things these cars have just by reading the owners manual. I myself found several interesting tidbits when I first purchased the car a few years ago! I personally like the hill hold function, but there seems to be quite a few folks that disable it in VCDS.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
Car was bought used, and it did not come with a manual, but I do know there is a manual you can read online but I have to type in the VIN each time I want to access it.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know what benefit deleting it would do. Maybe cut down the 0-60 time?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
It only does it on a fairly good incline, doubt anyone is timing their 0-60mph on an incline much less with a TDI in the first place. I like making my cars a little faster, but the TDI is no "sports" car haha

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
only downside i could see is roll back with a DSG or a manual, which then could lead to insurance claim especially with how close people get to you at stop lights these days

(I mean seriously, I should have told the old lady up my tailpipe this morning that she should have flossed her teeth before leaving the house as there was a garden salad in her mouth)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
IIRC, the hill-hold assist takes over on a 4 or 5% grade or steeper. So yeah - that's fairly steep.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
There are those who want to disable hill hold, personally I like it!
Others, especially in the USA want to disable the DRL, even though it is a proven fact that it makes you more visible to others.
Greyhound buses have had a lights on policy since the 1960s for safety.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Those of us that are well skilled at manual transmission driving often fine the hill holder a hindrance to getting the car moving on an incline. My brain seems to react faster that the ABS can. And if for some reason I felt I "needed" it, I can use the handbrake same as I did in my old Beetles.

But if you like it, you certainly can keep it. You can also change its sensitivity, in addition to turning it off altogether.

My Sprinter has one, and it works great... but it is an automatic, so it seems less intrusive to me.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Long coding in the ABS module, but the A7 Golf is different than the A5/6. Changing one of the bytes. Not sure if the newest VCDS has labels yet for these or not.

You'd have to look at the Long Coding in your ABS module and see.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Whatever the sensitivity was set at on my '11, it was just right. Never had a stall problem with it. My '10 2.5L doesn't have it at all. It's sorta like cruise control to me- don't need it, rarely use it, but still nice to have.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Yeah - last time I looked, there weren't any labels for the Mk7 ABS module in VCDS.
I had found a spreadsheet that someone at the Ross-Tech forums put together - I'll have to give that a look again to see if he's figured out where the adjustment is.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
Hill hold engages in my driveway, at intersections, trying to three point turn, and whenever I'm not looking. Incredibly annoying and always enabled.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Originally I was against the hill holder. I was proud of my skill at brake to clutch and sometimes handbrake. Now I guess I have to admit it works well when the airhead behind you gets so close on a hill. Way back in the day my sister stopped on a hill in The Bronx and some idiot got to close for her limited M/T skills. She set her parking brake and sat there until everyone went around her....

I like DRL's also. Helps people on the phone see you sooner so they don't jump in front of you. Also helps me see the folks who don't see a reason to turn on their headlights in fog, snow etc.