Valet Key "Key not in range" is this normal?

MacTechG4

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy, Sol s
TDI
2012 Golf TDI (DSG)
I noticed an unusual discrepancy with the valet key...

when I have the switchblade key in my pocket, and put the valet key in the ignition, the MFD says "Key not in range", it doesn't say this with the two switchblade keys, is the car getting confused because it senses the switchblade key in my pocket, but a different key is being used? that's the only other variable I haven't tried...

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
Never heard of this before. I thought kessy (key-less ignition) was the only application where this could happen. After all the key only works if inserted into the ignition. Try the valet key without the key fobs near.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Maybe because somehow the valet key is meant to be used by itself by design? If both keys were present what good is a limited function "valet" key?

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Stupid question, since I don't have a valet key: is the valet key a real key? If the vehicle has KESSY, there is no ignition lock to stick it into.

Or is it a key-fob only? If so, its battery might just be dead/dying.

What am I missing?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Stupid question, since I don't have a valet key: is the valet key a real key? If the vehicle has KESSY, there is no ignition lock to stick it into.

Or is it a key-fob only? If so, its battery might just be dead/dying.

What am I missing?
I cant speak for the "KESSY" as my 2011 is non kessy. The valet for my non kessy is a fobless key that as the name suggest is to only operate for valet (no glove box/trunk).
The only push button/valet experience I have is the wifes 17 Subaru.

MacTechG4

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy, Sol s
TDI
2012 Golf TDI (DSG)
I tried just the valet key and got the same message, didn't have the switchblade key on me

the valet key is the one piece key that has a "wrench" icon near the base of the black plastic key head

I was able to start the car with it, but I haven't tried driving it yet with just the valet key, I just use it as a "backup" key in case I forget the switchblade key

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I noticed an unusual discrepancy with the valet key...
when I have the switchblade key in my pocket, and put the valet key in the ignition, the MFD says "Key not in range", it doesn't say this with the two switchblade keys, is the car getting confused because it senses the switchblade key in my pocket, but a different key is being used? that's the only other variable I haven't tried...
I tried just the valet key and got the same message, didn't have the switchblade key on me

the valet key is the one piece key that has a "wrench" icon near the base of the black plastic key head

I was able to start the car with it, but I haven't tried driving it yet with just the valet key, I just use it as a "backup" key in case I forget the switchblade key

So the car started with AND without the swichblade in range?