Did anyone buy one from a VW backlot? How long did yours take?

mydecember1985

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW 6MT ;2011 JSW (buy-back May 2017)
We are waiting to take delivery on the car and the dealership hasn't been the most communicative.

I read that some of you looked through the storage lots of some dealerships and found your "special ride" you were looking for.

Our was a '13 with 21k miles. It rolled off the transport truck last Tuesday and was supposed to going for CPO certification and Emissions modification throughout the week.

How long did something similar take for those of you that found one and had to wait out the fix and refurbishing process?

Anything else I should have them do before taking delivery? We are getting new tires, fuel filter, air filter, cabin air filter, and oil/filter change.

BTW, https://vwdiesellookup.com/ is not working for me. Hasn't been for 3-4 days on any device. Any other way to check the emission status and warranty effective date?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Battery and dsg fluid/filter change if you can get it. Do a detailed inspection (in excellent lighting) and test drive "before" accepting delivery.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
If your dealership has to wait for the title to arrive from vw, it takes about 10-14 days from completion of all recalls.

Paulman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (buyback at 109,000miles) 2014 Jetta TDI 59,000miles
I just bought a 2014 Jetta TDI with 59,000 miles and a CPO warranty.
It didn't cross my mind to worry about the DSG. It's a sealed system, so why would that transmission sunk into 6 liters of oil be of concern?
By the way, mine sat on a lot somewhere in North Carolina.
Paul

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
That would assume that the tranny actually has a full 6 liters of fluid in it and did not collect any moisture while sitting. I believe that the service is every 40k miles on the 10-14, so why not ask for it up front? At least to be on the safe side.

mydecember1985

Veteran Member
TDI
If your dealership has to wait for the title to arrive from vw, it takes about 10-14 days from completion of all recalls.
Test drive went great after the fix except for a regen was running for a major part of it. Of course it felt a little bit sluggish. I expected a regen because it's been sitting forever and even when it was being driven in Cali, only 28k miles in 3 years means this car didn't get ran for extended miles. Hopefully the 100-mile drive home will kick off a regen and burn all that crap out.

I called VW of America and lady on the phone was unsure of exact timeframe of title being released, but she was pretty sure it would be a solid 5-8 days after it gets through emissions fix. Sales is going to talk with the comptroller-like role in the documentation department to see if they can get an idea.

So what they did all the above work mentioned AND replaced all 4 rotors and pads. I didn't think they needed it, but it's a nice plus. Only maintenance I'm looking at from 28k to 80k is just oil and fuel filters. Then the timing belt at 80k. Probably a solid 3-3.5 years away.

Will update in coming days and let everyone know how long the process takes.

Timeline so far:
Came off the truck from Cali on the 8th
Dealership sent into service for CPO and emissions fix on the 15th.
Now waiting on VWoA to release the title to the dealership for sale.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Timing belt is 130k.
Assuming all work was finished on the 15th - you’ll be around the end of the month / beginning of next month.

mydecember1985

Veteran Member
TDI
Timing belt is 130k.
Assuming all work was finished on the 15th - you’ll be around the end of the month / beginning of next month.
My mistake. Glad to hear the timing belt is all the way out to 130k. I've seen other threads talking about the HPFP supposedly having a service life of 175k. Is this true and would you replace it while you were in there? $1k part is better than $6k repair... hmmmmm :confused:

Kinda annoying that they've got a customer with cash in hand and they can't priority mail this title.

Yup, here we are a full week after emission were completed and we test drove it after it went through service.

Timeline so far:
Saw ad on the 2nd. Went to dealership next morning and car was still in transit from Cali
Came off the truck from Cali on the 8th
Dealership sent into service for CPO and emissions fix on the 15th.
Modification appeared "Pending" on the emissions warranty check site on 17th.
Modification warranty changed to "YES" Monday the 21st
Still waiting on the title.

Forgot to mention in above post that VWoA straight told me that they can't give me information on the vehicle and/or request any form of expediency. The dealership must do so on their special "dealership support line" (of which she would not provide the number).

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Most of your engine internals are covered under the new emissions extended warranty. I've not seen any type of estimate on when to be proactive about replacing the hpfp and have chosen to leave mine alone at about 140k miles.

mydecember1985

Veteran Member
TDI
Most of your engine internals are covered under the new emissions extended warranty. I've not seen any type of estimate on when to be proactive about replacing the hpfp and have chosen to leave mine alone at about 140k miles.

With only 28k miles and 16k miles/yr I drive, the emission warranty will be LONG out of service by the time I get to 130k. That is why I asked if it was better for peace of mind for some of you out there

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
With only 28k miles and 16k miles/yr I drive, the emission warranty will be LONG out of service by the time I get to 130k. That is why I asked if it was better for peace of mind for some of you out there
For us, the extended warranty means that we will keep the car at least it that expires. I think that's another ~3 years or so. It means that many things can be paid off while not making another car payment. Also puts us at retirement, which then brings an entirely different picture to vehicle needs. Both kids are back here for a few more years and the next discussed move by the oldest is only about three hours away in about 5 years.

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
Simply call a few nearby VW dealerships, and tell them you want a fresh from VW "fixed" TDI. They can tell you what they have, and take your number and call you when they get in one like you want if they don't.

mydecember1985

Veteran Member
TDI
We were able to bring the car home yesterday. They said the title was still in the works but let us slide with a temp tag. They hadn't even gotten it through detail since they expected the title to not be in for a few days.

Dealership let me leave my car in a side lot until I can go pick it up Monday. I'll leave the JSW there for a few hours for a detail and waste time at some nearby malls/attractions.

52.2MPG on the drive home. Topped off the tank at Flying J (carries real D2 grade). Cummins owner pulled in next to me and starts chatting with me about mileage. Told him I've had it for about 25 miles lol. He mentioned his Cummins blew its HPFP few months ago and was luckily covered under warranty. After this warranty, I gotta get my hands on one of those 2Micron kits.

Total 18 days since the day it rolled off the truck. Title expected Mon-Wednesday next week. That should put it around 21 days total turnaround for those that experience something similar.