CEL and BLINKING GLOW PLUG LIGHT

lakhotaspirit

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI Black
After searching the forums I only found 4 topics of which one involved MODS. Below are postings from these topics.

csimo was right. Have them replace the glow plug relay. A blinking glow plug light WITHOUT a Check Engine light indicates a problem with the glow plug system. WITH a Check Engine light would indicate that a malfunction has been detected and a "stored" fault code can be found in the ECU memory. (As opposed to a "pending" code, which just means that the ECU has detected a possible problem and is looking for "confirmation" before it starts flashing lights. "Pending" codes can be read with a scan tool, but no warning is given to the driver.)

I made it home and it didn't blink! The service advisor didn't give me the right story. It says here on the "invoice" that the brake light switch was intermittent (using scan tool found a sporadic code 00741-brake light switch) and the switch was replaced, problem solved...so far. I wonder why only 0.71 labor on the invioce? Can they only charge VW a flat rate to change out the switch, and not charge for troubleshooting time? Anyway, for those interested, the part number of the switch is 1J0-945-511-A.

In this case, it was a brake light switch. As mickey said later, the lights are for emission controls, and not for diagnosing problems. Then I was reading the other story.