www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old October 12th, 2019, 18:45   #16
dgoldsmith
Veteran Member

"Put things back to normal": I'm embarrassed to say, I've lost track of whether the blue line goes on the output ("V") tap or the input ("R") tap.

Last edited by dgoldsmith; October 12th, 2019 at 18:46. Reason: typo
dgoldsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2019, 18:55   #17
kdawg89
Veteran Member

Why are there taps? Where does the blue line go? I donít have one of these cars anymore and I donít remember what it looks like where the pump electrical connection is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sold:06 Jetta, Darkside GTB1749V turbo, stage 4 malone tuning, 3 bar map, EGR delete, ASV deleted, buzzken catless downpipe, IDParts billet cam
kdawg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2019, 19:46   #18
dgoldsmith
Veteran Member

"Taps": I don't know what things are called: nipples? The tubes protruding from the top of the pump from/to which fuel is taken/delivered: the hose going to one is blue, the other is black. Anyway, I guessed blue=out, which I guess must've been right, b/c then I VCDS-ran the pump four times (but I was lazy and left the fuel filter in/fuel system intact), then tried to start the car. It started fine, i.e., didn't stall, and idled fine, without having to rev it, for at least a minute, so then I risked a test drive, which, from my place, starts w/ a steep climb of about 300 ft, and then drove it maybe a half-mile round trip: it stalled only once, at a stop sign. So, I think the lift pump is physically capable of delivering fuel; and I'm back to not knowing what the problem is. (However, since I had the VCDS in, I ran an auto-scan, cleared the codes, and ran it again; I'm going to review the results during commercials while watching baseball.) :-)
Old October 12th, 2019, 20:17   #19
dgoldsmith
Veteran Member

The two seemingly relevant VCDS-reported faults:

Engine Speed Sensor (which--I'll have to double check--is what the mechanic who failed to fix the problem replaced, at having detected the fault code, so I suspect this one just may never have been cleared before I got the car back) Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Fuel Level Sensor "Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent" (might this cause the pump to stop running, for its own "safety," if it thinks there's no fuel in the tank? Or does this merely feed the dash fuel meter?)
Old October 12th, 2019, 20:23   #20
kdawg89
Veteran Member

Here is a pretty comprehensive document for checking PD fuel systems. The is written for BEW but the BRM is basically the same fuel system. I would check this stuff. You could also tee into the output from the tandem pump and run a fuel pressure gauge to where you can see it while you drive and see if your fuel pressure is dropping out and causing the stall.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/PD_...very_check.pdf

Sold:06 Jetta, Darkside GTB1749V turbo, stage 4 malone tuning, 3 bar map, EGR delete, ASV deleted, buzzken catless downpipe, IDParts billet cam
Old October 12th, 2019, 20:27   #21
kdawg89
Veteran Member

Is there a specific reason you think fuel delivery is what is causing your stall?

Old October 12th, 2019, 20:28   #22
dgoldsmith
Veteran Member

Thanks, I've already been referred to that and done the things I have the tools to do. I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet, cash in some savings, and risk taking it to another mechanic, maybe a dealer.
Old October 12th, 2019, 20:31   #23
dgoldsmith
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawg89 View Post
Is there a specific reason you think fuel delivery is what is causing your stall?

Just what I've been told here on other threads: my air supply seems to be OK--what else could it be?
Old October 12th, 2019, 20:37   #24
kdawg89
Veteran Member

Default My continuing fuel supply saga

I would lean towards something electrical, harness chafing is quite common on the BRM, I think under/around the air box and battery tray is common, loose/corroded ground is common I think one of the most common is maybe under the battery tray. That engine speed sensor code is suspect, I wonder if you have a chafed wire, someone might have replaced a sensor but if the wiring is chafed the original sensor wasnít the actual problem.

I would google BRM harness chafing and check some of the more common locations, if I had to bet on something to cause random stalling on a BRM that would be it.

Old October 12th, 2019, 20:47   #25
kdawg89
Veteran Member

I found another thread on the web with similar sounding issues, there issue ended up being the ground under the cowling by the vin tag. I would check that, and all the other grounds. I think a ground issue is more likely to cause a stall than a chafed harness, harness damage causes all kinds of weirdness but not usually stalling.

Old October 12th, 2019, 20:56   #26
dgoldsmith
Veteran Member

Ok, sounds plausible (any problem having to do with something in the engine bay has always been my biggest suspect, since the stalling started when my engine bay became immersed in fur). Oh, and BTW: that dangling "relay": not a relay, it's the VCDS plug (I remembered: dislodged it and then didn't put it back to make and keep it more accessible).
Old October 12th, 2019, 21:05   #27
kdawg89
Veteran Member

How did your engine bay become immersed in fur?

Old October 12th, 2019, 21:10   #28
kdawg89
Veteran Member

Is it hard to start or does it start well but randomly stall/lose power?

Old October 12th, 2019, 21:13   #29
dgoldsmith
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawg89 View Post
I found another thread on the web with similar sounding issues, there issue ended up being the ground under the cowling by the vin tag. I would check that, and all the other grounds. I think a ground issue is more likely to cause a stall than a chafed harness, harness damage causes all kinds of weirdness but not usually stalling.
If I understand this hypothesis correctly, basically that would intermittently "starve" a circuit of its required voltage, right? Which circuits--besides the main battery circuit, of course--need to be closed for the engine to run? (Note: I see no evidence of "brown-outs" in any other electrical system, though I do have, chronically, a plethora of electrical problems, incl., most recently, with the tire pressure sensors.) And do you know of a "real-view" (i.e., not a circuit diagram) guide to where "all grounds" are?
PS: thank you very much for staying on this and doing additional digging (what exactly did you search for, i.e., terms and search engine/site?)--I greatly, greatly appreciate it!
Old October 12th, 2019, 21:23   #30
kdawg89
Veteran Member

Yeah, so if the ground drops or there is a weak ground the voltage cuts out or drops to an unusable level. For example if your fuel injector circuit loses its ground connection your fuel injectors wonít fire anymore and you will stall, or if the voltage drops you will lose power/stall.

I think this is all of them, I know some of those descriptions arenít great but itís the best Iíve found so far. I believe right/left is as if you were sitting in the driver seat.

1. engine compartment, top of right front chassis member, underneath headlight
2. passenger compartment, base of A-pillar, behind trim
3. connection at right end of cylinder head
4. battery to chassis, under engine hood, near battery
5.right side of trunk, on inner wheel housing, behind trim
6. left side trunk on C-pillar, behind trim
7. left side trunk,on inner wheel housing, behind trim
8.engine/transmission ground, on top of left front chassis member
9.in plenum chamber, next to right strut tower
10.engine compartment, on top of left front chassis member
11.in plenum chamber, next to left strut tower