Why all the smoke?

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
Is it normal to have major smoke at heavy throttle in lower RPMs? I mean I can hardly see the car behind. Right after that at partial throttle it runs clean and gets 45 MPG. Can the fuel maps be cleaned up? It runs good at partial throttle and full throttle in the upper range. Does about 94 in the 1/4. Anyone have this? My mods are listed below.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Well, you have large nozzles and a RC5 tune - is that supposed to be for high power? - a large turbocharger, lift pump, ... hmmm....

Low end smoke with high end clearing up sounds like the boost buildup doesn't match the fuel map well. Your best bet is to get back in touch with the tuner and see what adjustments they're willing to make.

I have read information about adjusting the IQ to help eliminate smoke. It involved running it (the IQ) up to higher numbers. Maybe a search for Franko6's comments on this procedure would be helpful. I've never done this myself as I only have .205um nozzles on stock everything else. But for your heavy fueling, maybe it will help reduce the smoke while retaining the high end power.

Good luck!

PH

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
Low RPM smoke

I forgot to include that I increased IQ value to a little over 5, which should help things, but it's not.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Some guys with similar mods I've seen run as high as 8.8,i have lesser mods and I run mine at 6.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Is it normal to have major smoke at heavy throttle in lower RPMs? I mean I can hardly see the car behind. Right after that at partial throttle it runs clean and gets 45 MPG. Can the fuel maps be cleaned up? It runs good at partial throttle and full throttle in the upper range. Does about 94 in the 1/4. Anyone have this? My mods are listed below.
i have a similar set up as well, it smokes a good bit but i can clearly see behind me. its a fiar amount of smoke but its not horrible.
what are your EGT's and how much boost?
those 764 nozzles can be a handful if you dont give them enough air!
have you seen this? this is my autocross jetta, i know its a generation older than yours but tell me if this is the kind of smoke you got more or less???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZWX8yO3cgE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soqc0Ye0hgo

as you can see i smoke realy bad down low but soon as i get to 2400 prms i start making good boost and at 2600 im making 32 psi

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You've had this car a while, and if it's just started smoking a lot something's changed. I'd look for a boost leak, and also run boost logs to see if you're making requested boost. Also look at injector balance: perhaps one or more of your injectors is failing.