www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 8th, 2019, 22:01   #1
Kenter

TDI(s): 1 MKIV Jetta
Default Brake light and abs light on

As the title says they are always on. I've disconnected the battery tonight to see what if anything that will do. The brakes are brand new. As in new rotors and pads all the way around. Does my radio not working have anything to do with it? Any info is much appreciated.
Kenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2019, 22:14   #2
Nero Morg
Veteran Member

It'll help if you scan for codes. Something else to check is your brake fluid resivoir, see if the connector is connected, and the resivoir is at least to the min mark.
Old October 8th, 2019, 22:19   #3
Kenter

TDI(s): 1 MKIV Jetta

Brake res is good topped off and connected. No codes in conjunction with aforementioned warning lights. Now that I'm logged into Tapatalk I can upload these pics I took. Noticed while doing the brakes these butt connectors. Not installed by me I might add.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Kenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2019, 22:29   #4
Nero Morg
Veteran Member

That particular wire is for the brake wear sensor. It'll be a light that's a circle with three lines on each side of it. The brake/abs light is something else. Are you able to check the ABS module for any codes?
Old October 9th, 2019, 05:13   #5
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Your abs light and brake light are related to each other. Since you don’t have a code reader to point you in the right direction, your best bet at this point is to take those connectors apart and completely redo them. Obviously someone had issues here before. If that doesn’t solve the brake/abs light you’re going to have to get it scanned with vcds unless there is another obvious problem somewhere.

Two of those wires go to the brake wear sensor and two to the wheel speed sensor. You can tape the two wires to the brake pad sensor together to eliminate the wear indicator light on you dash. The wheel speed sensor wires need to be fixed properly.

Last edited by Tdijarhead; October 9th, 2019 at 05:16.
Tdijarhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 06:38   #6
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

You can turn the brake warning off in the Instrument coding, no need for any rewiring of anything.

If the ABS light is on, there is either a DTC stored in the ABS module, or the ABS module is not communicating. Which is it?